Wanna be runner and lifter! Looking for friends and motivates!

Options
kminjee
kminjee Posts: 49 Member
Hello!
I've been so on and off with my fitness pal and calorie counting but I'm back with a fire lit and hoping that it will last this time. I am an avid lifter but cardio is my worst enemy. I am 134 pounds 5' ft and although that sounds fat if you actually look at me you wouldn't be able to tell. However to trim down more in the stomach area I really want to love running. I've done other cardio alternatives but running is the simplest yet hardest thing to get down and I want to break that mental barrier ! I am just looking for friends to motivate and to be motivated and encourage others as we are going through this journey to better ourselves together!

Replies

• Mbiskey
    Mbiskey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! I would love to help you out! I'm 5'4 and 175lbs. I'm a former athlete and I used to weigh 125! One thing you can do which I did when I played field hockey was Insanity! It's totally different than running for cardio but really gets you moving!
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!!! Running is great for cardio! I do a lot of running myself, not as much as I did in the past because of injuries.(Went from running 5 times a week to 3 times a week) Are you just starting out running? A good goal to get to further distances is to increase the mileage by .10/week! That way your risk of injury will be low. One thing that helps me enjoy running is races! Those motivate me and get me going! I may not be the fastest but I've improved in my own ways since I started. This is my third attempt at running in the past couple of years. I started up again about a year ago, running only .10 mile. Since then I am able to run 1.5-2 miles without stopping (and no knee pain!) completed many 5k's, a few 10k's, an 8 miler, and two half marathons. I use the run/walk method to keep me outta trouble!

Feel free to add me and we can motivate each other!
  • kminjee
    Options
    Mbiskey wrote: »
    Hey! I would love to help you out! I'm 5'4 and 175lbs. I'm a former athlete and I used to weigh 125! One thing you can do which I did when I played field hockey was Insanity! It's totally different than running for cardio but really gets you moving!
    I've done some of it! It's alright I like having the gym environment doing a workout at home doesn't motivate me :(
  • kminjee
    Options
    Hi and welcome!!! Running is great for cardio! I do a lot of running myself, not as much as I did in the past because of injuries.(Went from running 5 times a week to 3 times a week) Are you just starting out running? A good goal to get to further distances is to increase the mileage by .10/week! That way your risk of injury will be low. One thing that helps me enjoy running is races! Those motivate me and get me going! I may not be the fastest but I've improved in my own ways since I started. This is my third attempt at running in the past couple of years. I started up again about a year ago, running only .10 mile. Since then I am able to run 1.5-2 miles without stopping (and no knee pain!) completed many 5k's, a few 10k's, an 8 miler, and two half marathons. I use the run/walk method to keep me outta trouble!

Thank you for the helpful advise! Yeah I can do a mile without totally giving up its mostly after that one mile that I'm dying lol I've done a 5k and that wasn't too bad but I didn't prepare myself for it which was my mistake. Do you find that running outside versus inside makes a difference?
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    kminjee wrote: »

Thank you for the helpful advise! Yeah I can do a mile without totally giving up its mostly after that one mile that I'm dying lol I've done a 5k and that wasn't too bad but I didn't prepare myself for it which was my mistake. Do you find that running outside versus inside makes a difference?

Try to shoot for 1.10 miles and go from there. Little successes!
    I actually like running outside more because you can gain strength by different paths. Up hills make your legs stronger, downhills gain speed. Different pavements, cement vs trails... Weather too! Warmer humid temps + sweating more = more calories lost! Wind also helps with making you push further and harder!
  • kminjee
    Options
    kminjee wrote: »

Try to shoot for 1.10 miles and go from there. Little successes!
    I actually like running outside more because you can gain strength by different paths. Up hills make your legs stronger, downhills gain speed. Different pavements, cement vs trails... Weather too! Warmer humid temps + sweating more = more calories lost! Wind also helps with making you push further and harder!
    That's a good idea I'll try that today!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Run/walk intervals is a great way to get started. Whether you do timed intervals or use physical landmarks, just try to push yourself a little farther each time. I train at the 5k distance and started with 3 minutes of walking to 1 minute of running. I'm now about half and half. I also throw in a longer, (no running) walk of 4-5 miles every 10 days or so. Once you start doing it, and seeing improvement in your times, it becomes very addicting. :wink:
  • slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm also 5 ft and 126 pounds at the moment.
    Like to run walk and do yoga.
    Feel free to add me.
  • bas0128
    bas0128 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do both. You're welcome to add if you like! Good luck!
  • ChicaFirme
    ChicaFirme Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh me me me! I run and lift :smiley: .
    I register myself for charity runs to keep me motivated. I agree running is the easiest but the hardest. You can do it anywhere anytime but there really is this HUGE mental barrier. Which is exactly why I do it. Its always a huge sense of accomplishment because I always have to push myself.
    I love to lift heavy and am going to be starting a new plan pretty soon. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can chat and watch each other progress!
  • chadr74
    chadr74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a passion for lifting weights and I know how you feel about the cardio. I usually only run outside if I am with a friend or 5k. The treadmill will make you keep a certain speed and keep your stride consistent which helped me run longer distances. Hope is a great thing but remember you are in control! Remember that a missed workout is a missed opportunity to build muscle and burn fat. Do you do cardio and lifting the same day or do you mix it up.
  • cosmicjenn
    cosmicjenn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Let's do it!! I need Lady friends to motivate! I have another 20 lbs to lose by my bachelorette and wedding!
  • fmaldonado93
    fmaldonado93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, it soumds like we are pretty much in the same situation however I currently weigh 140 and have successfully lost weight but am still working on my abs.. its alot more challenging for me than the cardio. I also need to strengthen my arms so I also lift.. I am looking to get to 130 bit really need to lose belly fat!
  • ricmines
    ricmines Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm right with you on that mile barrier, but I vow to beat it. I'm committed to run four days a week. Made up my mind so it's good as done. add me for motivation buddies. We got this. I want shed the rest of this fat off!
  • kminjee
    Options
    ChicaFirme wrote: »
    Oh me me me! I run and lift :smiley: .
    I register myself for charity runs to keep me motivated. I agree running is the easiest but the hardest. You can do it anywhere anytime but there really is this HUGE mental barrier. Which is exactly why I do it. Its always a huge sense of accomplishment because I always have to push myself.
    I love to lift heavy and am going to be starting a new plan pretty soon. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can chat and watch each other progress!
    Sounds good it will be nice to have a reliable partner!

• njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I love running and lifting. I run about 3-4 times a week and I lift or do HIIT workouts 5 days a week. I also try to get a good bike ride in one day on the weekends if I have time. Feel free to add me.
  • kminjee
    Options
    chadr74 wrote: »
    I have a passion for lifting weights and I know how you feel about the cardio. I usually only run outside if I am with a friend or 5k. The treadmill will make you keep a certain speed and keep your stride consistent which helped me run longer distances. Hope is a great thing but remember you are in control! Remember that a missed workout is a missed opportunity to build muscle and burn fat. Do you do cardio and lifting the same day or do you mix it up.
    yeah yesterday I did a mile on the treadmill and it wasn't too bad it did take me 15 minutes haha at 4 mph but I'm gonna try today to get it under 14 minutes!
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can add me. :smile: I lift and recently took up running after years of considering myself a "non runner". I'm actually starting to love it and hating the rainy weather we're having because it's keeping me from being outdoors.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I hear you about not digging cardio. If there isn't a ball to chase then I dread it. I tend to do it on the same day.
  • kminjee
    Options
    StrongLife wrote: »
    I hear you about not digging cardio. If there isn't a ball to chase then I dread it. I tend to do it on the same day.

Yeah I use to play soccer years ago and I was in the best shape of my life but I never knew I was doing cardio haha