Feeling discouraged

Options
I've been eating better for almost 3 weeks now. I've tried to cut down on starchy carbs and focus on protein. I'm not perfect and have had a few "cheat" days but I always get back on track. I've even been walking. I had an eating disorder in the past so I don't want to overdue it. I just want to feel better about how I feel about the way I look and be comfortable in my clothes. After 3 weeks of this there is literally no change yet. In my clothes or the scale. I'm still the same. I can't figure it out. It's getting to that point where I'm going to go one way or the other. If anyone has any helpful suggestions, I would welcome them at this point because apparently I can't do this on my own.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Be more patient.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You can get better help if you open your diary. Are you logging your food? Are you using a scale? Loosing weight is not about eating better, its about having a calorie deficit.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost, then you aren't in a calorie deficit.

Are you weighing everything? Are you logging everything? Are you using accurate entries?

If you aren't doing one (or all) of the above, that's your problem. Start weighing everything out and using accurate entries to log everything. If you eat to the number MFP gives you, you should start to lose.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    We've all been there, the "doing a little is better than doing nothing." And it is.

But, if you want to see results, you have to eat at a deficit. And the only way to know if you're eating at a deficit, is to track everything. I've been doing this for years, and it took me a couple years to get it right - in fact, I didn't truly have success until I found this place, listened to other people & started tracking religiously!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    There is no indication you are doing the basics correctly from the information you give. How do you know you have been in deficit? You should also learn to be patient rather than frustrated.
  • missyjoy6988
    missyjoy6988 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It is a long slow process. Baby steps. One day at a time. It is so easy to gain weight, yet so hard to lose it. YOU CAN DO IT!! 8f2o76zzbuq6.jpg
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes, open up that diary and let us in! You may still be eating too much or not enough of the right items.
  • stressedprincess87
    stressedprincess87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm beyond self conscious, it took a lot just to post this. I spend years weighing and measuring food and my knowledge of calories is insane. I hate to admit that but that was part of my eating disorder. I don't think that logging or knowing what foods to log is that problem. I'm short and was barely active before wanting to commit to making myself feel better. I decided to pick a 1 pound weight loss a week with 1400 calories as my limit. I was always under. I wasn't seeing results so I went down to 1220. I guess I'm getting frustrated because I was always used to seeing results before. I'm also a very picky eater so my range of foods to eat is limited.
  • brandylynn1125
    brandylynn1125 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way i started using mfp 4 weeks ago the first week i lost 5 lbs the second i lost 5 lbs so i thought wow all this and im not even exercising so for the third week i thought let me throw in some treadmill time so i started doing 2 to 8 miles on the treadmill and lost 1 lb then the same thing this week just 1lb i feel like quitting..hope it gets better for you
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Do you use a scale? Do you log your cheat days? "A few cheat days" for me in a 3 week period could EASILY cancel out my deficit :P
  • Nuke_64
    Options
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Im sure you do not want to set off your e. D but do you measure now? I found when I started measuring truly like a half cup and so forth that is when I started to lose. The cheating 3× a week maybe undoing all your hard work too. You may lose slower and may have damaged your metabolism bc of your ed so it may take longer. It will come off it takes a long while. I didn't start seeing it til about 4 months ago when I changed my diet and started the measuring accurately. I was measure before but my portions were too big.
  • got2be160
    got2be160 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well the 2 pounds I loss I gained back . I have been tracking for 28 days, am active 6 out of 7 days . Have
    A Fitbit ( can't sync ) but I am getting in 7-10,000 steps a day.
    My question is this what they call muscle gain ???
  • Nuke_64
    Options
    got2be160 wrote: »
    Well the 2 pounds I loss I gained back . I have been tracking for 28 days, am active 6 out of 7 days . Have
    A Fitbit ( can't sync ) but I am getting in 7-10,000 steps a day.
    My question is this what they call muscle gain ???

Why are you hijacking the OP's thread?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    had a few "cheat" days

What does this consist of? How many extra calories? How often?

Also, are you actually logging food in your diary? I know you said you had an ED in the past, but if you're not logging in your diary, how do you know how many calories you're eating? And with cheat days on top of that?

Simply put, you're probably eating more (calories) than you think.

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way i started using mfp 4 weeks ago the first week i lost 5 lbs the second i lost 5 lbs so i thought wow all this and im not even exercising so for the third week i thought let me throw in some treadmill time so i started doing 2 to 8 miles on the treadmill and lost 1 lb then the same thing this week just 1lb i feel like quitting..hope it gets better for you

You've lost 12 pounds in four weeks and you feel like quitting?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

You've lost 12 pounds in four weeks and you feel like quitting?

Yeah, really....

You should probably readjust your expectations.
  • stressedprincess87
    stressedprincess87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've cheated one time a week and it's at most 1 or 2 hundred more than what I want to be at for the day, usually I can manage to still stay under. It's just the kind of food I eat i guess. Im a picky eater so finding healthy food I like to eat is hard. I pretty much eat the same things over and over again.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I didn't like raw vegetables until I found out how to make fermented veggies on the internet. You need to search the net for foods and recipes. You know what you like, so it's up to you to figure a way you can live with to eat and lose weight. Most of the recipes on the net have calorie and nutrition information. There is allot of information out there, start searching. You can do it, don't give up.