Dieting On Vacation

Options
I'm gonna be going on vacation this summer & I don't know if I should keep my calorie goal or raise it for the trip. Any suggestions? If I do keep it, I feel like my family is going to question why I'm not eating more.

Replies

• ChickenLittle1121
    ChickenLittle1121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personally? I would probably bump myself up to maintenance and just enjoy myself! That being said, if you feel like you'd enjoy yourself just as much keeping your current goal, I don't think anyone would really need to question it!
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation to Myrtle Beach at the end of August, and I'm planning to stay on track by keeping within my calorie budget and exercising. Will your accommodations have a kitchen or kitchenette space? If so you could prepare your own healthy snacks and meals and then reserve your calories for things like dining out at dinner.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    That's a personal decision, but don't make it based on what your family will say. Is it really going to be that noticeable that you're eating a couple hundred less calories?

But for sure, if YOU want to just enjoy it, by all means raise your goal (or find more ways to be active so you can eat more).
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    IME, when I was maintaining a much higher weight, I used to always lose weight on vacation. The reasons being two-fold:

-less snacking
    -more walking (and other activities that move the body)

But these days I either maintain or maybe gain a bit of water weight (more eating out means more sodium in my diet).

If I'm actively trying to lose, I generally make some rules for my vacation so I don't find myself going hog wild but I do get to eat some treats. It's very possible to treat yourself on vacation and still eat eat to the same deficit. Or you can agree to yourself to bump up the calories/lower the deficit, if you really want to.
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    We've got a vacation coming up and I am going to do my best to stay within my calorie limits. I'm planning to do a lot of outdoor activities and hope that will help keep things balanced in the event that I eat too much.
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We go to disney a lot so what I do is first I don't add extra calories back just because I'm walking all day, I don't eat junk snacks like ice cream, candy etc... If I eat any snacks at all I do fruit, veggie, yogurt, or sugar free frozen fruit bar if I'm buying something in the park otherwise I bring something in with me. I drink water not sodas or sports drinks. I pretty much stick to my normal as much as possible for any breakfast or lunch (usually lunch is part of a salad or a shared meal with my granddaughter, or even off the kids menu for better portion control but I'll let myself have a nice dinner without appetizers or desserts. I still pick things that aren't like fried chicken but if I want swordfish and it comes with all the blah blah stuff it comes with I order it as it is since it's vacation. It's not perfect but I'm not giving up vacations because I'm reducing and I'm sooooo over having to face a scale that has just jumped back up in the wrong direction that this works for me. I'm not worried about loosing weight on vacation but staying where I'm at until I get back home.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    a vacation is not a vacation if you're pulling out your MFP app and logging everything while you're trying to enjoy yourself.