Cramps

Options
Hello,

Since I'm so out of shape and don't really live the most active lifestyle, when I do start to workout, I get really bad cramps and they last for days. It ends up causing me to stop working out because I need to recover, which then leads to me giving up and falling off track. Is there a way to prevent these cramps from coming? Or do I try my best to workout while I'm in pain?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What kinds of workouts are you doing?

I think making sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough potassium and protein may help. Working out one day, then walking and/or doing yoga the next should help some too.

~Lyssa
  • jolomo612
    jolomo612 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have worked with this issue for the last 7 years. (Mine is sort of a reaction to ongoing cancer treatment, but I have been somewhat successful in overcoming the cramps.) My suggestions: drink more water, take potassium, take magnesium glycinate, get your doctor to prescribe a fast acting muscle relaxant like Metaxalone. A cramp is sort of unlikely if it is for days I would think, but the cramp can damage your tissue and then it has to heal. Cramping is a contraction of a muscle when your body is trying to protect you from some sort of underlying condition like if you move it too fast when it is relaxed or the muscle is dehydrated. Do you have any back issues? Stretch before working out and after working out. The stretch should be held for at least one minute.
  • sgirl2009
    sgirl2009 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I think making sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough potassium and protein may help. Working out one day, then walking and/or doing yoga the next should help some too.

~Lyssa

I am doing basic cardio workouts like crunches, squats, lunges etc. and I am not using any weights. Maybe I'm starting out too strong? But yeah, I'll try what you have suggested :)

• sgirl2009
    Options
    jolomo612 wrote: »
    I have worked with this issue for the last 7 years. (Mine is sort of a reaction to ongoing cancer treatment, but I have been somewhat successful in overcoming the cramps.) My suggestions: drink more water, take potassium, take magnesium glycinate, get your doctor to prescribe a fast acting muscle relaxant like Metaxalone. A cramp is sort of unlikely if it is for days I would think, but the cramp can damage your tissue and then it has to heal. Cramping is a contraction of a muscle when your body is trying to protect you from some sort of underlying condition like if you move it too fast when it is relaxed or the muscle is dehydrated. Do you have any back issues? Stretch before working out and after working out. The stretch should be held for at least one minute.

Yeah I usually don't stretch so that could be a serious problem right there haha. I don't have back issues. But, I'll try your suggestions. Thank you :)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    what kind of workouts? maybe you're doing too much too fast. are you staying hydrated (huge)? If you're sweating a lot you also need to replace electrolytes. If you don't eat a lot of veg you could be low on magnesium...calcium is often an issue as well (I pop Tums). Are you stretching afterwards?

This literally could be a million things.
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    sgirl2009 wrote: »

~Lyssa

I am doing basic cardio workouts like crunches, squats, lunges etc. and I am not using any weights. Maybe I'm starting out too strong? But yeah, I'll try what you have suggested :)

Skip the crunches...all they do is stress stuff out anyway, lol. Where is the pain coming in? Legs, back, certain parts of certain places? Does the pain come in at all while you're working out?

Staying well-hydrated is SO important. Stretch a little before as well as after. Maybe do fewer reps of each one and see if that helps.

If you go all-out right from the get-go, you can cause injuries. Go a bit easier on yourself - work on form, don't push to the limit - until you're more familiar with your body's capabilities. Once you know your limits, you can start pushing.

~Lyssa
  • sgirl2009
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    what kind of workouts? maybe you're doing too much too fast. are you staying hydrated (huge)? If you're sweating a lot you also need to replace electrolytes. If you don't eat a lot of veg you could be low on magnesium...calcium is often an issue as well (I pop Tums). Are you stretching afterwards?

This literally could be a million things.

I do basic cardio workouts, like lunges, squats, crunches, things like that. I don't use any weights when I do them either. I will try and work on everything you mentioned and see if it helps because I know that I don't usually stretch haha. Thanks :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    When I have leg cramps, I stretch with my heels and they magically go away.
  • sgirl2009
    Options

~Lyssa

Skip the crunches...all they do is stress stuff out anyway, lol. Where is the pain coming in? Legs, back, certain parts of certain places? Does the pain come in at all while you're working out?

Staying well-hydrated is SO important. Stretch a little before as well as after. Maybe do fewer reps of each one and see if that helps.

If you go all-out right from the get-go, you can cause injuries. Go a bit easier on yourself - work on form, don't push to the limit - until you're more familiar with your body's capabilities. Once you know your limits, you can start pushing.

~Lyssa

The pain is usually in my thighs and abs, which are the areas I am trying to focus on most so it makes sense. The pain can sometimes come in while I'm working out, and I stop right away when that happens, but it worsens the next morning, and it's hard to walk and sit down because of it, which causes me to have a ton of rest days when I really don't want to do that. If it helps, I use workout videos at home and when they're all completed it totals up to about an hour and 12 minutes of exercise. 30 minutes of that is aerobics. Is that too long right now? Or does it just depend on my pace?
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    It could be too long right now, definitely. Maybe do just 30 minutes of the workout??

It kind of sounds like DOMS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Cruelly enough, the best thing is to keep moving - walk around, massage the area(s), drink plenty of water and do another workout. Even if you won't be able to do the same number of reps or be as intense, it's still worth doing.

Take 2 rest days instead of just one if you need to, but do the workout again on that 3rd day.

~Lyssa
  • sgirl2009
    Options
    It could be too long right now, definitely. Maybe do just 30 minutes of the workout??

It kind of sounds like DOMS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Cruelly enough, the best thing is to keep moving - walk around, massage the area(s), drink plenty of water and do another workout. Even if you won't be able to do the same number of reps or be as intense, it's still worth doing.

Take 2 rest days instead of just one if you need to, but do the workout again on that 3rd day.

~Lyssa

Yeah I have a feeling it is DOMS after reading that. I'll definitely do what you suggested. I plan to start this whole work-out thing on Monday, I'm going to try and do the full hour and 12 minutes but at a slower pace than I usually would, and on Tuesday I have a rest day scheduled so I'll be able to recover. I'll stay hydrated too, and stretch as well :) Thanks so much, you were a great help!
  • macgurlnet
    Options

~Lyssa

Yeah I have a feeling it is DOMS after reading that. I'll definitely do what you suggested. I plan to start this whole work-out thing on Monday, I'm going to try and do the full hour and 12 minutes but at a slower pace than I usually would, and on Tuesday I have a rest day scheduled so I'll be able to recover. I'll stay hydrated too, and stretch as well :) Thanks so much, you were a great help!

Put most of your focus on good form and going slow right now. You will probably be tempted to keep pace with the person in the DVD showing you the moves - don't bother. Slow for now and work up to faster as you get stronger.

Personally, I like having a protein bar/shake/high protein meal after my workouts most days. Whether it really helps or not, I dunno, but I sure do feel better.

On your rest day, get up and move around if your job/schedule allows. I try to get a walk in every hour while I'm at work. Also, see if there's a yoga workout that focuses on stretching the muscles you worked.

Baths in epsom salts can help too!

~Lyssa
  • sgirl2009
    Options

~Lyssa

Put most of your focus on good form and going slow right now. You will probably be tempted to keep pace with the person in the DVD showing you the moves - don't bother. Slow for now and work up to faster as you get stronger.

Personally, I like having a protein bar/shake/high protein meal after my workouts most days. Whether it really helps or not, I dunno, but I sure do feel better.

On your rest day, get up and move around if your job/schedule allows. I try to get a walk in every hour while I'm at work. Also, see if there's a yoga workout that focuses on stretching the muscles you worked.

Baths in epsom salts can help too!

~Lyssa

I spend a lot of my days on my feet so no worries about that aha, I move as much as possible. And, okay I'll look for those. :)
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stretch. If you feel like the muscles are just way to tight for you to do anything, you could try getting a foam roller. Stretching is super important though if you're having cramping issues.