first loose weight then lift

Options
HHEHEA
HHEHEA Posts: 17 Member
Has anyone reached their goal weight before going hard core at the gym?

Replies

• keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Why not do both.
  • Paetznick1982
    Paetznick1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close to my goal. I think it's hard to get the calorie deficit needed for consistent weight loss without hitting the gym.
    That being said, I think you have to eat a lot to put on muscle mass. Look at bodybuilders. If you're lifting hard while trying to run a calorie deficit, you might not get as much bang for your buck.
    My suggestion is that you hit the gym the entire time. Once you've lost the weight you can switch your focus to gaining muscle and getting stronger- really shaping your body.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    HHEHEA wrote: »

That's the plan, I've always been a gym person but had a terrible diet. Now I've lost 56 lbs and once I've maintained weight for a little bit I plan on adding some size
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do both. Trust me on this one.
    So, at the most weight I lost, 83lbs (and now 52 but I'm working on it again), I was a size 12 at 203 lbs. I got all kinds of crap on here from girls with my same height that were a size 16 at 170lbs. Yup. That's what weight lifting does for you. Skinny girls look good in clothes, fit girls look good naked.

php5wmc9ptt5.jpg

• erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    What do you mean they gave you crap @PowerKickChic ?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I did, and I regret it. I wish I would have realized what lifting did for your body years ago when I was losing. I probably would have lost a little bit slower, but I would have looked better throughout. I also would have been able to eat more and still lose had I had more muscle mass.

I started at 240 pounds, lost down to 143 pounds, but I was skinny fat. I had no muscle definition and was basically skin and bones. Now, I weigh about 30 pounds more, but I have muscles. Plus, I am about the same size now as I was 30 pounds ago.

If you can, I highly recommend lifting while you lose. It's a lot easier to maintain your muscles while you lose rather than try to gain them back after you're done losing.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Seen great results from people who were heavy and lifted. You have already bulked... now lift and cut :)

As a rule of thumb,

eat , lift , cardio or whatever you want to do. A calorie deficit will result in lowering your weight.

If you were me, hit the gym , careful with how much you eat , add a bit of cardio and tell me if I am wrong in 3 -6 months
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love lifting. I do both. First I was doing mostly cardio and do a little bit of lifting. Now I keep it even with both and have seen greater results. Both is definitely the way to go for me!
  • jodes023
    jodes023 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Skinny girls look good in clothes, fit girls look good naked.

I like this a lot!!
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lifting burns fat just as cardio why would you due both?
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    HHEHEA wrote: »

No. After reading/seeing the results of lifting while in a deficit, there is no way I would choose to wait. There is not one good reason to wait.

I started a beginner lifting program about a month and a half after implementing a deficit because of two key threads on MFP (2x/week yoga to start and continuing) and saw HUGE improvements in my body shape within that first month of lifting, while making great strides in yoga postures/strength. Right before typing this, I was marveling at my leg muscles. My inner thighs are still a disaster, but when I stretch my leg out to the side, I see inner thigh muscle definition. My arms are looking much better and I routinely touch base with my triceps...because they are so new to my world!

Keeping as much lean muscle as you can while you lose will only benefit you and your perception of your body's progress. Pounds are irrelevant when you look better than you did the last time you weighed the same, or less! I can get into clothes that fit when I was 10 lbs lighter. I'm only halfway to my first goal, which is at the top of my recommended weight range. It's very exciting to have the option of a higher weight and higher maintenance than you thought you'd have to live with forever.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    That is an old school plan.

Current health plans for wellness see the value of resistance training.

Maybe research interval training with weights to use it for some cardio too!

Lifting can be fun. Having a few friends at the gym can make working out a fun social and healthy thing.

People join bicycling clubs and enjoy that as well.

Muscle is king. It is the furnace that burns calories.

There is a ton of info on the value of a little extra muscle.

Google is your friend!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    q2i801alqcsx.png
    wseww5xwr6p2.png

I usually hear this sentiment from people trying to lose and then I post this photo.
    Why wait to lift weights I achieved this with very little cardio (read none whatsoever aside from walking and taking th stairs when I could) in 18 months. if you incorporate cardio and weights imagine where you could be in less than 18 months….
  • MeleriD
    MeleriD Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »

I usually hear this sentiment from people to lose and then I post this photo.
    Why wait to lift weights I achieved this with very little cardio (read none whatsoever aside from walking and taking th stairs when I could) in 18 months. if you incorporate cardio and weights imagine where you could be in less than 18 months….

Very inspirational.,you've obviously worked very hard and it shows. I'm off to find something heavy to lift....hahaha

• mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »

I usually hear this sentiment from people trying to lose and then I post this photo.

You look great! Your shoulders look amazing! You are truly an inspiration. Well done.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lifting while losing helps to retain muscle mass, so why wait?
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do both. No reason to wait. None.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For me, lifting has been the ONLY thing that helps me keep my metabolism up. Ever since I turned 30, the amount of effort to lose the same amount of weight has become threefold. When I was in my late 20's, I could lose weight with just cardio but now my body needs something more.
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this myself, whether a really bit deficit to lose the weight and then eating maintenance and lifting was a good idea. Because you can't build muscle at deficit can you? And you can't lose weight without a deficit... I get confused!

But it looks like it's best to eat at deficit and lift. Thanks for all the insight :)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    kerbeya1 wrote: »
    Lifting burns fat just as cardio why would you due both?

Because cardio is for targeting the pulmonary muscle group, while the actual weights are for various other muscle groups.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!