Strict eating

Options
About 3 weeks ago I started a diet plan to gain muscle mass whilst remaining fairly lean. But i'm massively struggling to stay on the right path. I really want to this and better myself but 3 weeks and the sight of food makes me feel sick. I have to eat 3 big meals a day and consume 4 shakes and 1 fage yoghurt. In total I should be eating 2500. But in reality I am currently only eating 1800 as i literally feel as though i can not eat anymore. I feel like i eat more i will be sick. I'm worried that the mental battle of food is going to destroy my chances of my muscle gain happeing. I also tend to sneak in a sweet or two during the day. Which takes me sugar intake to almost max. sometimes i dont even remember have a cheat.. Any advice for a new comer?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what does this "diet food" consist of? I hope you are not trying to eat 2500 calories of chicken, fish, vegetables, rice, etc…

and you can't gain muscle and stay lean you are going to gain fat; embrace that, accept it, and just eat the food and lift the weights….
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Have some cake.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Cook your food in Olive oil.
    PB & a doughnut would help for calorie fill also.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oats, potatoes, bread, beans, nuts, cereal, peanut butter, bananas, steak, pasta and rice are all your friend when it comes to bulking. I'm managing to hit 3000 calories by eating 4 meals a day. Oh and a cheat meal of pizza and ice cream is also ok every once in a while. You got this!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    About 3 weeks ago I started a diet plan to gain muscle mass whilst remaining fairly lean. But i'm massively struggling to stay on the right path. I really want to this and better myself but 3 weeks and the sight of food makes me feel sick. I have to eat 3 big meals a day and consume 4 shakes and 1 fage yoghurt. In total I should be eating 2500. But in reality I am currently only eating 1800 as i literally feel as though i can not eat anymore. I feel like i eat more i will be sick. I'm worried that the mental battle of food is going to destroy my chances of my muscle gain happeing. I also tend to sneak in a sweet or two during the day. Which takes me sugar intake to almost max. sometimes i dont even remember have a cheat.. Any advice for a new comer?

Split the 3 big meals into 4 and go with 2 snacks during the day. Pre log it so you know what you are having. Are the 4 shakes in addition to the 3 big meals or separate? You will have to get over staying incredibly lean while trying to add muscle mass on. For a long time I was like you and getting no where. Once I got over the mental part, I'm now comfortable with the body fat increasing because the muscle mass is increasing in tandem with it.
  • SachaMarinus
    SachaMarinus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what does this "diet food" consist of? I hope you are not trying to eat 2500 calories of chicken, fish, vegetables, rice, etc…

and you can't gain muscle and stay lean you are going to gain fat; embrace that, accept it, and just eat the food and lift the weights….

I have the same 3 meals everyday. For breakfast i have 2 whole eggs and 2 extra whites. With a shake of oats, flaxseed and protein. A protein shake in between breakfast and lunch with 40g of almonds. 1pm 300g sweet potato and 200g chicken. Then 4.30 a protein shake (pre workout) 6.30 protein shake and a banana (post workout). 8pm 150g of tuna/steak/chicken with quinoa and broccoli.

Dont worry I do lift
  • SachaMarinus
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. Mentally battling with the idea of getting fat is extremely difficult. I've always been fairly lean so even a slight increase in weight/body fat freaks me out. I'll try splitting my meals in to 4. Thanks guys :) xx
  • ndj1979
    Options

I have the same 3 meals everyday. For breakfast i have 2 whole eggs and 2 extra whites. With a shake of oats, flaxseed and protein. A protein shake in between breakfast and lunch with 40g of almonds. 1pm 300g sweet potato and 200g chicken. Then 4.30 a protein shake (pre workout) 6.30 protein shake and a banana (post workout). 8pm 150g of tuna/steak/chicken with quinoa and broccoli.

Dont worry I do lift

thats 1800 calories????
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Dont worry I do lift

Almonds are pretty filling, and so is sweet potato.

I was having some of the same problems you seem to be having and I found that switching to a lower-fiber version of whatever the food was helped a little. So instead of the fancy flax seed multigrain bread I'm eating regular wheat bread. I thought I was going to be eating so many sweet potatoes. No -- too filling. I couldn't do it.

All the foods that people list as having a high satiety factor -- you might have to stay away from some of those if they're keeping you so full that you're getting sick.

And don't underestimate the power of liquid calories. Generally less filling then the ones you have to chew.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Dont worry I do lift

That's depressing. And pretty void of micronutrients. I diet on better food than that....no wonder you're sick of it!

You could have so much more variety, and more calories with different choices.

Easy calorie bump would be making your shakes with full fat milk (if you even want a shake...). Eat all whole eggs. Cook in oil. Add fruit to your shakes/Smoothie. Add vegies to your breakfast, or make a big bowl of oats with your protein, nut butter/coconut oil and fruit - add syrup for more cals. Salmon/fattier meat (like thighs or fattier steaks) instead of lean meat.
  • SachaMarinus
    Options

Dont worry I do lift

thats 1800 calories????

I missed out a banana and 0% total fage yoghurt. I consume a lot of oats 50g + 30g flaxseed. If i listed all the grams etc it takes me to just about 2500
  • SachaMarinus
    Options

Dont worry I do lift

That's depressing. And pretty void of micronutrients. I diet on better food than that....no wonder you're sick of it!

Easy calorie bump would be making your shakes with full fat milk (if you even want a shake...). Eat all whole eggs. Cook in oil. Add fruit to your shakes/Smoothie. Add vegies to your breakfast, or make a big bowl of oats with your protein, nut butter/coconut oil and fruit - add syrup for more cals. Salmon/fattier meat (like thighs or fattier steaks) instead of lean meat.

My goal is to increase my overall muscle whilst remaining fairly lean if not leaner. So i do have to eat very lean meat. Although i will definitely consider adding salmon to my diet and fruit to my shakes etc.

Thank you
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Dont worry I do lift

My goal is to increase my overall muscle whilst remaining fairly lean if not leaner. So i do have to eat very lean meat. Although i will definitely consider adding salmon to my diet and fruit to my shakes etc.

Thank you

Fat doesn't make you fat. You need fat for good health. You won't gain muscle by staying lean... Growing decent muscle as a female is hard enough as it is, without being attached to the idea that you also need to be lean 24/7

(been there, done that. Kick myself for wasting a year looking like a stick insect believing that I was making gains...)
  • SachaMarinus
    Options
    Such a fair point. I'm trying not to believe that I can't be lean the whole time. But i've gotta face reality and understand that getter bigger doesn't necessarily mean fatter

Dont worry I do lift

Thank you

Fat doesn't make you fat. You need fat for good health. You won't gain muscle by staying lean... Growing decent muscle as a female is hard enough as it is, without being attached to the idea that you also need to be lean 24/7

(been there, done that. Kick myself for wasting a year looking like a stick insect believing that I was making gains...)

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Dont worry I do lift

Thank you

^All of this. OP sounds like you are on your way to spinning your wheels and suffering with your food choices. Have fun, base your meals around lean meats, veggies, whole grains but leave room for food you enjoy as well. It is the size of the surplus that will determine how much fat you gain, not the fat in the meat you eat. If you are going to bulk, you have to accept you will gain some fat along with muscle.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Dont worry I do lift

thats 1800 calories????

I missed out a banana and 0% total fage yoghurt. I consume a lot of oats 50g + 30g flaxseed. If i listed all the grams etc it takes me to just about 2500

Ok ..

I would suggest incorporating some foods that you actually like….like some pizza, or bagels, or ice cream …have a steak for dinner with roasted potatoes or some chicken breasts with barbecue sauce or marinated in whatever you like…

eating should not be self torture and does not have to be bland. And yes, you can eat all the foods I listed and still be "healthy"
  • SachaMarinus
    Options
    Thank you all, will start switching up my diet plan as of monday and see how things go. It's easier to learn from other peoples lessons than go through it yourself. So I'll and not to be dishearten by my body fat increasing x
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thank you all, will start switching up my diet plan as of monday and see how things go. It's easier to learn from other peoples lessons than go through it yourself. So I'll and not to be dishearten by my body fat increasing x

my diary is open if you want to browse it….