Artichoke Recipes Needed!

Options
victoriashea
victoriashea Posts: 112
I've recently discovered the glory of artichokes! 60 calories for a medium artichoke, they're an excellent source of dietary fiber (5.4 grams!), magnesium, and the trace mineral chromium. They are a very good source of Vitamin C, folic acid, biotin, and the trace mineral manganese. They are a good source of niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin A, and potassium. Great for all your major organs, especially your liver. And apparently they cure hangovers...

SO! Does anyone have any delicious recipes for this under-appreciated vegetable? I can't find anything that's not drenched in butter and/or oil!

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    They are awesome! I've had spinach and artichoke pizza, very yummy! Hoping many more add ideas to your thread!:tongue:
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I like to toss artichoke hearts with some quartered new potatoes, cherry tomatoes, olives, fresh parsley, red onion and green pepper. Drizzle with lo cal italian, or even better if you make your own dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and tiny bit of suger, crushed clove of garlic, a little powdered mustard and a little oregano. Yum! I can never stop eating this when I make it !!!

I think this is a recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (the checkerboard one), but I have been making it so long I forget where I first found it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I like to toss artichoke hearts with some quartered new potatoes, cherry tomatoes, olives, fresh parsley, red onion and green pepper. Drizzle with lo cal italian, or even better if you make your own dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and tiny bit of suger, crushed clove of garlic, a little powdered mustard and a little oregano. Yum! I can never stop eating this when I make it !!!

I think this is a recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (the checkerboard one), but I have been making it so long I forget where I first found it!
    Oh cool, I have that particular BH & G cookbook, I'll check that out! That recipe sounds Delish :tongue: :love: Thanks so much:drinker:

Got a question for anyone using the jarred or canned artichoke hearts, would I want to buy the ones in water or oil and is the jarred way better than buying the canned?

I'm new to artichokes myself, like I shared I had them on an Amy's brand pizza and loved the combo of Spinach and Artichokes & would love to figure out a way to incorporate them when making my own Pita bread pizzas. Also to incorporate artichokes in other ways after reading how healthy they are for us.

I've never tried the fresh and am clueless how to even fix them. Guess I should be Googling it before too long, but would love any tips in the mean time. :wink: :tongue:

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

ETA: fixed some errors:blushing:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    mmm..i love em..i put them in my calzones and on subs.

this place in black mountain NC called my fathers pizza makes this awesome vegetarian sub..they put artichokes as the 'meat' mm its tastey
  • apfeiff
    apfeiff Posts: 39
    Options
    I have no idea how to cook artichokes but I've had them in my salad before and they are a yummy little addition! How the heck do you cook these things?!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I have no idea how to cook artichokes but I've had them in my salad before and they are a yummy little addition! How the heck do you cook these things?!

OK, I'm as clueless on cooking the fresh ones as the rest of you so I finally broke down and Googled.

Here's some great ideas I've found - this particular link below talks about steaming them and then dipping the leaves in butter or mayo. Hm, be yummy dipping them in plain Greek yogurt with a bit of Ranch dressing packet mixed in? Love to hear other ideas so we can all get creative together.:tongue:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cook_and_eat_an_artichoke/
    Steaming or pressure cooking.

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-cook-artichokes-in-microwave.html
    OH! We can cook them in the microwave even! :drinker:

http://video.about.com/italianfood/Artichokes.htm
    SCORE! :love: This one is awesome as it's a video and shows 3 simple ways to cook them. I'm a visual person so I'm all about this link!:tongue::drinker:

Here's the main Google page that came up with a ton of links so I'm sure there's many more great ideas on what to do, how to cook and how to eat them!:wink:

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+cook+an+artichoke&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

Looking forward to trying a raw one out now that I know what to do with it! :laugh: :tongue:
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later. yum! :heart:
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    everyone in my house (including DD 9yo) loves artichokes. I made them yesterday by cutting off the stem and the top 1" of leaves and steaming them in a big pot for 40 min or so. The bigger, woodier artichokes need to be cooked longer and I sometime boil them. Once they are done you drain them and then peel the leaves away and scrape the meat off with your teeth. This was yesterday's dip:

1/2 cup mayo (lf)
    1/2 cup sour cream (lf)
    1T prepared horseradish (probably used more)
    1 1/2 T chopped chives (used more)
    1 tsp salt (I went easy on this)

combine it all and let it sit, garnish with more chopped chives

there's another recipe that I've done with mayo and dijon mustard. I can't find it right now but if I do I'll post it.
  • jerseygirl08
    jerseygirl08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love artichokes!! My favorite way to prepare them is to roast them.

Preheat oven to 425.
    You cut off the stem and the top of the artichoke and clip at sharp leaves.
    Place the artichoke in the middle of a square piece of tin foil with several cloves of garlic
    Fold up foil enough so no liquid will pour out.
    Pour fresh squeezed lemon juice (cut with some water) over top of artichokes and then sprinkle with a little evoo.

Fold up the package so no liquid leaks out and then bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Lightly salt before serving. The juices in the foil can be used as a dipping sauce. You can blend the garlic into the sauce with a hand blender or just eat them because they are delicious :D
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    I love them too! I get the canned artichoke hearts, as I've never attempted to cook a whole one and I'm kind of scared. Lol. Anyway, here are a couple recipes that I love (sidenote- I never measure anything, so please feel free to adapt the flavors)

Pasta al Carciofi
    whole wheat linguine pasta
    artichoke hearts (quartered or halved)
    Mushrooms, sliced
    onion, diced
    fresh lemon juice
    1/4-1/2 cup white wine (i used the boxed stuff and it reduced just fine)
    chicken stock (i use organic)
    chicken breast (optional)

simply saute the onion, mushrooms and artichokes til just slightly tender (they will cook in the sauce) then add wine, lemon juice, chicken stock and simmer. Once the pasta is done, just toss and eat!

Artichoke Eggs Benedict

Artichoke bottoms
    eggs
    neufchatel cream cheese
    greek yogurt
    lemon juice
    mayo (or light mayo)
    turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled

Roast the artichoke bottoms, bottom side up until browned. While those are going, scramble eggs- folding them repeatedly to make them more firm than scrambled eggs, then fold in a tbsp or so of cream cheese. In a small bowl, mix greek yogurt, lemon juice and a tsp or so of mayo. Top the artichoke bottoms with egg, drizzle with sauce and then sprinkle with the crumbled bacon.

Enjoy!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Par boil artichokes, cut in half, season with italian herbs, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar mixed with a "touch" of olive oil, grill on barbecue or I bet you could do these in the oven too. My daughter makes these and they are delicious!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    bump