PCOS/Metformin/Losing Weight?

Options
Hey, all.

I did a rudimentary search to try and find an answer, but there was a lot of information and I was having trouble finding the answers I was looking for.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I'm learning that there is apparently a larger club of women with this syndrome than I previously believed. Before I was diagnosed, I'd lost 60 pounds in 2013 by logging my food, and exercising a ton (2 days of Zumba, 2 days of yoga, and 2 days of ellipitcal). I cut out soda, and cut out most bad foods, but was using a lot of processed meals to get through the issue of time (full time student working full time as well).

I've been put on Metformin, 500mg. I know that this is half the dosage of a Type II diabetic (I dated one for four years, so I'm very familiar with Metformin). But this is the problem. Since I know that it lowers insulin levels, and I know I'm trying to lose weight, I'm worried that I will not eat enough to counteract the Metformin, and I don't want my blood sugar to plummet overnight, since I take the pills in the morning and in the evening.

I don't see my doctor until July; she's asked for a follow up to check my insulin and weight loss. I don't want to just be at a weight loss stand still while I wait to see her. I know that there are other women dealing with this, and I'm curious what y'all are doing to offset the lowered blood sugar, if anything at all.

Thanks in advance for any help/stories/advice you can give.

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    There is a group called P.C.O.SIS that might be able to help you. I also have PCOS, but when my blood work improved from diet alone, my doctor didn't recommend Metformin just yet.

There may be a difference in how you would treat this if you were insulin resistant PCOS or non insulin resistant PCOS. I'm not sure and definitely don't have the information you are looking for.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction!
  • RusalkaDevushka
    RusalkaDevushka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I will find that group and post my question there.
  • crys_todd
    crys_todd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've been on 2,000mg of Met off and on for years. I lost 160 lbs the first time I took it. I stopped taking it while I was pregnant and nursing my two children and I just started taking it again when my youngest mostly weaned. I had gained back 100 lbs over the last 4 years that I've been off it. Since January, when I started it again, I'm down 60lbs. Met does wonders for me as far as making weight loss easier (I still have to diet and exercise but I'm not fighting excess insulin the whole way). It was helps with various other PCOS symptoms and regulates my cycle.

That said...PCOS isn't a one size fits all diagnosis. Like all syndromes it's basically an accumulation of symptoms that you may or may not have. Not all women with PCOS are insulin resistant and Met won't help much if you aren't. Has your MD testing your fasting insulin levels, not just your blood sugar. I had several doctors dismiss me as fine in my early 20's because my blood sugar was always perfect. When I finally saw a reproductive endocrinologist and had my insulin levels checked was found out, yes my blood sugar were great, but my insulin levels were 4X normal to keep my blood sugars in check.
  • RusalkaDevushka
    RusalkaDevushka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    crys_todd wrote: »
    I have PCOS and I've been on 2,000mg of Met off and on for years. I lost 160 lbs the first time I took it. I stopped taking it while I was pregnant and nursing my two children and I just started taking it again when my youngest mostly weaned. I had gained back 100 lbs over the last 4 years that I've been off it. Since January, when I started it again, I'm down 60lbs. Met does wonders for me as far as making weight loss easier (I still have to diet and exercise but I'm not fighting excess insulin the whole way). It was helps with various other PCOS symptoms and regulates my cycle.

That said...PCOS isn't a one size fits all diagnosis. Like all syndromes it's basically an accumulation of symptoms that you may or may not have. Not all women with PCOS are insulin resistant and Met won't help much if you aren't. Has your MD testing your fasting insulin levels, not just your blood sugar. I had several doctors dismiss me as fine in my early 20's because my blood sugar was always perfect. When I finally saw a reproductive endocrinologist and had my insulin levels checked was found out, yes my blood sugar were great, but my insulin levels were 4X normal to keep my blood sugars in check.

That's amazing that the medication was able to help you do that.

My doctor did an A1C, including FSH and LH/Estradiol hormone testing - I had gone to one gynecologist, who saw the cysts and practically diagnosed me on the spot. Since I did not like her bedside manner, or lackthereof, I went to a different gynecologist who talked to me about my symptoms, did a ton of blood work, and concluded from there. She also has PCOS. I was not fasting, but I honestly don't remember eating much before the exam. I may have had lunch around noon (I don't remember since I was a nervous wreck), but the appointment was at 2:30pm, and she had an emergency C-section to do right before I got there, so by the time I saw her and then got my blood work done, it had probably been at least 4 hours since I had eaten.

I'm assuming that the follow up appointment I'm doing in July is to see if the Metformin is doing its' job.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I take 2000 mg per day and eat very little. Insulin crash is really not an issue as the mechanism is different than insulin.

Just forge ahead--you will be fine!