How to calculate food you haven't made yourself?

Options
ChelleE31
ChelleE31 Posts: 57 Member
I'm probably going to get out of it but everyone in my boyfriends family are ordering from the fish and chip shop tonight, if I end up having to eat with them, how would you go about calculation how many calories are in something like that ?

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Oh man, fish and chips. So yummy if done right! There's really no way to log accurately even if a restaurant offers their info online. The food can be way off just depending on the cook/chef. I guesstimate on the high side.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Search for the restaurant/dish in the MFP database. If it's a chain, chances are it's in there. If not, try to find a restaurant/dish in the database that's as close as possible.
  • ChelleE31
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    Oh man, fish and chips. So yummy if done right! There's really no way to log accurately even if a restaurant offers their info online. The food can be way off just depending on the cook/chef. I guesstimate on the high side.

Yeah that's what I thought, fish and chips is something I love! But have no real way of knowing the calorie content. I know it's going to be high thiugh
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just find something in the database that's as close as, add it on the high side and write it off as a treat. A little of what you fancy isn't a disaster. Mmmm, fish and chips..........
  • ChelleE31
    Options
    Yeah, just find something in the database that's as close as, add it on the high side and write it off as a treat. A little of what you fancy isn't a disaster. Mmmm, fish and chips..........

I opted to skip the fish and chips, although it looks and smells delicious, my boyfriends eating I right next to me
  • ChelleE31
    Options
    ChelleE31 wrote: »

I opted to skip the fish and chips, although it looks and smells delicious, my boyfriends eating it right next to me :( lol.

Had pasta, tomatoes , mackerel and a small bit of cheese. Pasta and cheese are two things I love so still had a bit of a treat but stayed in my calorie goal :)
  • mirinsesh
    mirinsesh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You need to yolo it up and just guesstimate. After using food scales for quite a while I can usually just guess the portion sizes. Of course you could usually just flatly add 700-1000 calories without thinking too hard about it. Most normal sized dishes equal to somewhere around that calorie size. Overestimate calories if you're trying to lose weight, underestimate them if you're trying to gain weight
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    take a look at several entries and just guess.
  • ChelleE31
    Options
    mirinsesh wrote: »
    You need to yolo it up and just guesstimate. After using food scales for quite a while I can usually just guess the portion sizes. Of course you could usually just flatly add 700-1000 calories without thinking too hard about it. Most normal sized dishes equal to somewhere around that calorie size. Overestimate calories if you're trying to lose weight, underestimate them if you're trying to gain weight

Thank you :). I didn't get a take out in the end. Forfuture, I thought, once I have the portion I could weigh it athome as potatoes and have a rough idea.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I always over estimate to be on the safe side