BREAKFAST?! can you lose weight without it??

Options
Hiiii :) ok so I'm never hungry in the mornings till around 11-12 but It seems to be accepted that you won't lose weight by not having breakfast.
is anyone finding this isnt the case and they are still losing weight and not having breakfast? Helpppp! Xx

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Complete myth. If you don't like eating first thing, don't eat :)
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The research alludes to the 'fact'that some people who skip breakfast may be tempted to eat higher- calorie snacks instead- which would lead to an increase in total calorie intake.

This is not true for everybody. If you don't find yourself reaching for snacks then there is no reason for having breakfast. I get up at 6am and don't eat my breakfast until 10.30/ 11am- and then have lunch at 12.30. My husband eats nothing untill 7-8pm everyday and has done for over 25 years- and it has not affected his weight or his muscle mass (he is very muscular). So the choice is yours really.....
  • jessofcourse
    jessofcourse Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight without eating breakfast. All that matters is the number of calories eaten. When you eat makes no difference except for personal preference.

There are some people who would be ravenous without breakfast and overeat later. They should fit a breakfast into their calorie goals because it helps them. For me, I eat a big dinner (with my giant calorie burning boyfriend) so I don't eat a breakfast and I have a light lunch.

Whatever works for you is fine.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, and don't overeat later, don't worry about it. Myself, I have a very small breakfast, usually eight ounces of low sodium V8 juice and a banana or something else around 80-90 calories. This keeps me full until 1:00 or so, when I eat about a 300 calorie lunch. I save the rest of my calories for dinner because night-time is when I tend to snack. By eating the rest of my calories at dinner, my snacking urges are completely diminished. You just have to tweak your eating habits around until you find a combination that fits you.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hiiii :) ok so I'm never hungry in the mornings till around 11-12 but It seems to be accepted that you won't lose weight by not having breakfast.
    is anyone finding this isnt the case and they are still losing weight and not having breakfast? Helpppp! Xx
    Accepted by who? Broscientists.

Meal timing is pretty much irrelevant to fat loss, look at how many people do IF and lose fat just fine.
  • hollytaylor613
    hollytaylor613 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everybody!! :D soo happy to hear that other people are getting on just fine this way. That's made my mind up I'm just going to listen to my body and not magazine headlines.
    'jessofcourse' i hear what you're saying about the big calorie burning boyfriend! Big boyfriend = big boyfriend portions!
    Thanks again everyone :) xx
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without eating breakfast.
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like eating anything in the mornings too but I have a protein smoothie. Otherwise I'd struggle to hit my daily macros if I left it all to a few meals in the afternoon. But that's just my personal preference
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can eat breakfast any time you want, it has no effect on weight, all that matters is total amount of calories.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Eat it when you want , for me personally I don't eat until after exercise in the morning... and there are many people who eat first thing and still lose weight. It's all about the calories and nothing to do with meal timings or any other hocus pocus
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The only reason to "have to" eat first thing if you have medical reasons for doing so or if on medication that requires something on the tummy before you take it. And even then just a lil something will suffice.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've stopped eating in the morning over the last couple of weeks actually since starting intermittent fasting (I break my fast at lunch), and have lost twice as much weight as in the previous weeks.
    That might taper off, but I find it a lot easier to fit my calories and macros into fewer hours - when I start eating that sets me up grazing for the rest of the day, I struggle to just have set meals, and I would often go over - and it makes me think a lot more about how to get the most out of what I am eating.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Meal timing/frequency is a preference thing and nothing more. Some people prefer to eat in the morning, others not so much. I usually break my daily fat between 11am-noon and have had no issues with both weight loss and maintenance :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm a big breakfast eater because I love breakfast. I don't think it makes a difference in terms of weight loss.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat anything before 10 am. I'm just not hungry and the idea of food makes me feel ill. So I'm quite happy to remain empty until sometime after 10 am.

During the week, I'll have a light snack at some point between 10 am and 11 am ... and then lunch at some point after 1 pm. On weekends, I'll have brunch at some point between 10 am and noon.

This works for me. I'm comfortable with it. I remain within my calorie limit each day. And I've successfully lost 14 kg so far this year. :)

My husband, on the other hand, works a physically active job and likes to eat a decent breakfast before he heads off to work. He has also lost weight over the past year (approx. 20 kg), so that's working for him.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't think it matters. I eat breakfast because I've realized I feel better and less likely to snack later in the day. It's also my favorite meal and usually my biggest meal calorically.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't have scientific facts except for this one - if I don't eat something decent by about 10 a.m., I feel pretty b*tchy. And also, I will probably eat more than necessary when I finally do eat. So, I like to "break my fast" with breakfast with something meaningful (has actual significant, lasting nutritional value) in the 200-250 calorie range to keep me zinging along happily until lunchtime.
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I tested the theory of eating breakfast vs. not eating. I found on the days that a I alloted at least 20% of my overall calories to breakfast I was less hungry thoughout the day and made better choices. Such as less snacking between meals. On the days I did not eat breakfast, I was prone to snack more, and by the end of the day was eating a higher calorie dinner to possible compensate for the lack of breakfast. This could very well be just my body but thought I would contribute to the thread nonetheless.
  • CleanBEAN1
    CleanBEAN1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating within your calorie goal, meal timing does not matter.
  • vickypalfreyman471
    vickypalfreyman471 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I never have breakfast, eat a 200 cal lunch at 12.30 and then have a 1000 cal dinner/supper any time from 6pm till 10pm. I've lost 51 lb since early January this year. For me it's all about quantity in one go. Works for me anyway. Good luck! X