How often did you weigh in to achieve success?

Options

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't want to weigh myself daily. Check this success story:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10169847/i-cannot-believe-this#latest

Would she have made it 40 days weighing herself daily or would she have thought her efforts were fruitless?
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Once a week - Sunday morning, first thing when I get up. There is too much variance from day to day - even hour to hour - I find that discouraging. Once a weeks works great for me.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Once a week - Sunday morning, first thing when I get up. There is too much variance from day to day - even hour to hour - I find that discouraging. Once a weeks works great for me.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Everyday in the morning right after I get up, brush my teeth, and pee. I really only log it on once I've gone down to a new number (even if it's from like 186.2 to 185.9) to keep myself motivated. The downward trend is really what is good to look for--week to week I've been down even if during the week it kicks back up for a day or two.
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Daily. I've lost about 35lbs since jan 1. I love the data and it hold me accountable.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Never. I don't like scales as I find whatever they say demoralising, depressing. It feels as if the whole of me is nothing but a number, so I stay off them completely.
    I use my old clothes as a target. It works so much better for me that way, As I sew most of my clothes I do measure myself now regularly as my old numbers do not work anymore.
  • brownieUK7
    brownieUK7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Daily I find can be de motivating. I look forward to the weigh in once a week and so far the numbers have always been going down.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Everyday. Helps me know at the start of the day if I need to follow my meal plan perfectly or if I can grab an extra snack here and there.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you are comfortable with. If the daily fluctuations bother you, wait longer. If they don't bother you, that daily monitoring can be very helpful. I weigh daily. If I go up, I look to see if I can find a specific reason. I have a Tanita scale so it also gives me fat % and water % to help in that.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    erojoy wrote: »
    Everyday. Helps me know at the start of the day if I need to follow my meal plan perfectly or if I can grab an extra snack here and there.

Yes. This. Also helps me know that maybe what I did the previous day that I thought was OK really wasn't for me.
  • Harper1984
    Harper1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Never. After losing a good chunk of weight, I noticed that as I was packing on muscle, the scale wasn't moving...even though my clothes were fitting better and I was feeling pretty dang good. I finally switched over to measurements, and measure in 11 spots on my body. I measure once a week, in the morning after getting out of bed. I hated the feeling of defeat when I would stand on the scale and see the numbers constantly going up and down, even though I was working my rear off. Now, I don't have to deal with that with my measurements. I am able to see that the areas I want to gain muscle are gaining muscle, and the areas where I want to lose fat, are losing fat.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight I weighed every day. Once I maintained it kept getting longer and longer between weigh ins. This allowed me to put more back on. I'd say unless you're really rigid on working out and you know you're sticking to it, it's good to weigh in at least weekly if not more frequently, to keep yourself accountable.
  • happygrandma52
    happygrandma52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I belong to a small group (6 of us) that get together once a week. I've put my scale away & use their's . I also measure once a month.
  • gobraves657
    gobraves657 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weigh in daily as well. Having the slight weight gains is frustrating but also motivates me as well. I've lost just over 35 pounds in 9+ weeks.
  • tesemarie
    tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stick with daily for now. I started charting as a few of you suggested and I like seeing the downward trend. The occasional ups don't really upset me too much, but they do cause me to take a second look at my food log to see if there is something that isn't working for me, so l guess that is not a negative outlook that is detrimental right now. I've lost 27 lbs in 3 months doing it this way and I think that's a good start. Of course if I start feeling like I am obsessing too much about those occasional upward movements I'll rethink my plan :)
  • bigjack69
    bigjack69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I only ever weigh in once a week...that works for me.
  • tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I will be the same for 3 days straight, then I will go up 2 lbs from one day to the other (just water, I'm sure) and then down 3 lbs the following day so I do it daily and record the variations. I don't get emotional about it and just stay focused on my fitness program instead. I know that if I stick with it, week in and week out, the curve will move downwards eventually, but if I dont do it daily, I don't get to see the entire curve.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Usually twice a week, one of those is Saturday morning
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. I weigh once a day as well and I play with a 3 pound jump after losing. But if I keep going, I lose that plus a little more and then 3 pounds up from that. But there is a downward trend as I have lost ( 22.4 -26 pounds in 4 months).
    flumi_f wrote: »
    That's called the whoosh effect by some. As the body loses fat, it tends to fill those cells with water. When that water is released, you have a sudden larger weight loss...the whoosh ;-) I often had 1 week with a high loss followed by 1-2 very slow weeks. Totally normal.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    When I'm losing or maintaining, I weigh daily. When I'm (inadvertently, usually) gaining I weigh in infrequently. Daily weigh-ins keep me accountable, but I don't mind the fluctuations that go with it.

More data = better.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!