How to actually lose weight when you can't afford a gym?

Options
I can't afford to get to a gym at this time in my life, but I'm so tired of being over weight and unhealthy, what're some at home exercises that would help me get into shape?

Replies

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Walking on your lunch break, long walks on the weekends, exercise DVD's in your living room...oh and burn more calories than you eat. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. It's helpful and beneficial, but not necessary. Did you put your stats into MFP? Eat as many calories as MFP suggests and you'll start dropping weight in no time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The good thing is you don't need a gym, or to work out at all. The only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

But since working out is still a great thing, you can walk or run around the neighborhood or a local park, buy some DVDs, watch some YouTube videos, or download some apps on your phone to find the best workout for you.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is through a calorie deficit.
    You can do it without exercise, just diet alone.

That said, I suggest walking and the NerdFitness beginner bodyweight routine.
    I <3 walking and the bodyweight routine is a great beginner program to some strength trainer and it's pretty easy to modify to make easier or harder
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You just need a caloric deficit. But exercise is really good for your health, and will help you burn some calories so you can eat more :smile:

Walking, running, biking, jumping rope, bodyweight workouts, pogo sticking, dancing, at-home exercise DVD's, Pilates, yoga, carrying heavy stuff are all good at-home exercises. No gym required.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it helps. Running and walking are among the cheapest exercises that burn a significant amount of calories. Cycling is more fun (in my opinion) but it can get expensive.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise at all in order to lose weight. The key to weight loss is eating fewer calories than you burn. So if you set up your MFP profile, telling it that you want to lose .5-2 pounds per week, you are going to get a goal that will allow you to lose weight without any exercise.

That being said, exercise is great for your overall health and there are a ton of options that can be done without setting foot in a gym--walking, running, bodyweight exercises (You Are Your Own Gym is one, startbodyweight.com is another), videos (Youtube, fitnessblender.com), etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is all you need and MFP is still free.

you can always add in some walking and or running, or you tube/look up the "you are your own gym" work outs...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow it's been said 6 times in 6 posts so I guess no need for further postings...

/thread
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The major issue is to eat less. You can also walk almost anywhere, anytime, for free, and no extra equipment is needed.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Walking or running. Bodyweight exercises. I bought a nice weight set on craigslist for about $100. Youtube videos or get a copy of Jillian Michaels or other exercise.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly about what you eat. You have to eat less than you burn.

But to answer your question, I lost a lot of weight a few years ago doing workout videos at home. I particularly enjoyed Pilates (anything by Ellen Barrett), and then I got really into The Firm. You just need an open space and some light handweights.
    Or you can run outside, or bike. Or walk, Or hike. There's a lot of good free workouts on YouTube.
    You can look up "You Are Your Own Gym" and do those workouts either at home or at a park or wherever.

Tons of options.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ha ha, there were no replies when I started mine. Got distracted by a quick conversation and now I'm way at the bottom. (Just FYI, this rambling nonsense is to cover up an accidental duplicate post.)
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I've taken a break from my main gym (wanna save some money) so I've started the beginners program "dumbell stopgap. Just need a variety of dumbells and both my small office gym and apartment have those, so easy peasy.

If you haven't already I would spend the $15-20 on a kitchen food scale at least, otherwise there's lots of stuff you can do and for free.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Watch and do YouTube videos! I promise you will still get a work out! haha
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Youtube has some great free workouts. You can also checkout workout DVDs from your local library. Good luck, you can do it!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is cheaper than calorie excess, its a win/win. Seriously though I lost 100lbs without stepping foot in a gym or buying a single weight loss item (other than a $5 food scale). You don't need anything fancy. Just count everything you put in your mouth and be active. That means no more sitting at your computer or watching TV all day. You have to get up and move, lift heavy things (like children) and swing them around and put them back down. Don't eat it if it doesn't fit in your calorie goals and keep yourself busy and the weight will melt.
  • LovebugHiraeth
    LovebugHiraeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Go to fitnessblender.com/ and take your pick from all of their free workout videos and do them. I've been doing their workouts for over 2 years and I've lost loads of weight and never paid out a dime for a gym membership.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    During most of the year, I garden and walk outside. We had an ungodly amount of snow this winter and I got a gym membership for just a month in March. I've also had a week free trial at all the gyms in my area. I don't love any of them enough to join full time, but will go back to one of them next winter.

But for 8 or 9 months out of the year, I can get plenty of exercise outside. (People also walk inside malls, which doesn't interest me, but it is an option.)

Oh, and my neighbor is having a yard sale this weekend which has inspired me to go through my stuff. Decluttering is more active than you would think and you feel so good afterwards!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    As stated above, you don't need exercise to lose weight, just drop your calories consumed. Pretty much all of my weight loss occurred before I started walking in January, and none of it was due to exercise.

With that being said, exercise will help you in other ways. Main reason I started was to help my asthma, which it has been doing. Best way I know of is to start with something simple like walking. A couple days a week, go outside, pick a direction, and walk for 10 minutes. Turn around, walk back. That's a 20 minute walk. Requires no special equipment, gym membership, or fancy clothes. All you need are comfortable shoes. Once you're used to that, push it to 15 minutes out and back. That's basically how I started walking. I knew if I pushed too hard and was constantly feeling miserable, I'd give up. But you gotta start somewhere, and starting with short walks that I knew I could do helped me get moving. There are also many exercise videos on Youtube for free that you might want to check out if you're looking for stuff to do inside. The important point of this is that if you are going to exercise, don't be afraid to start small. That you're starting at all is good, and you will eventually get in better shape from it.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to do Zumba at home watching YouTube videos. It was a lot of fun. There are also some great workout programs on Xfinity OnDemand and for the Roku. And, if those aren't an option, walking. I love going walking. I don't go to the gym either, but I do own a Total Gym XLS (made payments on it over the course of six months). It was worth every penny, but I only use it for toning and strengthening my body. You don't need home workout equipment or a gym.