24 years old- needing to lose 50 lbs

Options
britgetsfit1
britgetsfit1 Posts: 22 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey ya'll! I am currently needing some major motivation. I am wanting to lose 45-50 lbs. I have tried multiple times (I have actually lost 50 lbs already about 4 yrs ago) and this time- I need to succeed! My boyfriend and I are starting to talk very seriously about our future and we both want to reach our physical goals. Anyone out there who can help me?

Looking for tips and motivation!

Replies

• ReghanNichole
    ReghanNichole Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm 5'4 180lbs and looking to lose about 46lbs to be at my goal weight. I've tried WW and lost some weight and gained it back(plus some marriage pounds lol) so I need to succeed as well but it seems so daunting!
  • S_Evanson613
    S_Evanson613 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you guys! 26, 5'3" and needed to lose 40-45lbs (lost 21 already!) My advice is to just jump into it head first - but slowly if that makes sense. What I mean is don't sit and wait 'until Monday' do it now. BUT don't be too hard and restrictive on yourself because if you treat this like a strict diet where you can't eat anything that you really like - then you will give up! Don't set a goal time frame that isn't realistic. I dont have a time frame in mind, I take it day by day and if it takes 2 years then so be it as long as I'm making progress in the right direction every day! Good luck ladies!
  • callachan
    callachan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same here, although I'm 6,1, just remember whatever diets you do drink water !!! Drinking to little will not help your weight loss. Good luck and keep going
  • ReghanNichole
    ReghanNichole Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you guys! 26, 5'3" and needed to lose 40-45lbs (lost 21 already!) My advice is to just jump into it head first - but slowly if that makes sense. What I mean is don't sit and wait 'until Monday' do it now. BUT don't be too hard and restrictive on yourself because if you treat this like a strict diet where you can't eat anything that you really like - then you will give up! Don't set a goal time frame that isn't realistic. I dont have a time frame in mind, I take it day by day and if it takes 2 years then so be it as long as I'm making progress in the right direction every day! Good luck ladies!

Congrats on the 21lbs down so far! I started a couple weeks ago and so far have been doing very well. I completely agree with you about not being too restrictive, I've done that in the past and failed EVERYTIME. This time around I'm eating what I want just within my calories and within reason...last night I had bacon cheese fries and it was SOOO good and it fit into my calories and tasted better without the usual side of guilt LOL
  • jenmarie72011
    jenmarie72011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to eat healthy when everyone around you eats so unhealthy! Any advice for that? I
  • britgetsfit1
    britgetsfit1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to eat healthy when everyone around you eats so unhealthy! Any advice for that? I

This is one of my main problems! I am living with a family who can eat all the unhealthy sweets and junk food and never gain weight. It is awful. Its the first thing I see on the kitchen counter when I come home.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Im 26 and started with 48lb to lose. Ive now lost just under 20lb.

I would say dont be too restrictive, if you want something fit it into your calories. Exercise more etc. Occasionally i have a bad day, i just try and keep it around what maintenance would be then log it and carry on!

I found joining a group on here called drop 20 by july 4th helps keep me accountable too so may be worth looking into the groups too. :-)
    Oh, and my fitbit works wonders for my motivation!
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes, exercise! I use a phone app called Map My Fitness, it uses GPS to track your distance and speed while walking, running or bike riding, so you can't cheat or over estimate. It calculates the calories you burn and if you connect it to My Fitness Pal it will automatically input your workout into your diary. I usually burn about 300 to 400 cals a day walking 2 or 3 miles. Sometimes I bike ride to change up my routine. Also one big change I made was to drink water or unsweetened ice tea instead of soda pop or sweet drinks. Remember it takes time to lose weight, you may lose quickly at first and then slow down, so don't get discouraged. Good Luck, hope you achieve all your goals
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Can the excuses

It doesn't matter what those around you do only what you do

Weight loss is totally about what you eat

So start weighing and logging your food accurately ...eat to a calorie defecit across the week ...stick to it ...work out new go to foods...work out better foods to keep you full, satisfy you that you live so they become an easy habit. Prepare easy to grab foods / meals up front so you don't grab the wrong thing. And don't demonise anything ...you can still eat ice cream, chocolate, drink you just need to have the calories for it

Then move more : take walks, find exercise you love and eat back half the calories

Lift heavy things and put them down again

I'm twice your age with a job, kids, slim husband who eats anything and the stupidest dog in the western world. I started this 360 days ago, hit my goal at 8-9 months, I've lost 52lbs and been at maintenance since feb ...still logging, still moving ...won't ever stop

So stop making excuses and just do it

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    Yes, exercise! I use a phone app called Map My Fitness, it uses GPS to track your distance and speed while walking, running or bike riding, so you can't cheat or over estimate. It calculates the calories you burn and if you connect it to My Fitness Pal it will automatically input your workout into your diary. I usually burn about 300 to 400 cals a day walking 2 or 3 miles. Sometimes I bike ride to change up my routine. Also one big change I made was to drink water or unsweetened ice tea instead of soda pop or sweet drinks. Remember it takes time to lose weight, you may lose quickly at first and then slow down, so don't get discouraged. Good Luck, hope you achieve all your goals

The calories you burn are also dependent on your height and weight ...if this app doesn't have the ability to enter those you're getting an average burn from databases which for many can be out. The regular advice if you log exercise using MFP database, gym machines or generic apps is to eat back 50-75% calories for 8 weeks then judge weight loss over time against goals and readjust the amount you eat back...takes me 5 miles to burn 3-400 calories (fitbit and actual bodyweight monitoring over time)

Watching your calories from drinks is good advice ...if you love your sodas switch to diet so you're not taking in empty calories
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    460mustang wrote: »

The calories you burn are also dependent on your height and weight ...if this app doesn't have the ability to enter those you're getting an average burn from databases which for many can be out. The regular advice if you log exercise using MFP database, gym machines or generic apps is to eat back 50-75% calories for 8 weeks then judge weight loss over time against goals and readjust the amount you eat back...takes me 5 miles to burn 3-400 calories (fitbit and actual bodyweight monitoring over time)

Watching your calories from drinks is good advice ...if you love your sodas switch to diet so you're not taking in empty calories

I had to check to make sure, I've tried so many different apps but yes, you do have to enter your height, weight, M or F
    I did adjust my weight while I was checking, I have lost 6 lbs. since installing the app a couple months ago. So I'll watch and see if that changes my cals burned.
  • billiej97
    billiej97 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also have 50 pounds to lose. I'm 5'5 and 189lb. I have lost 100lb before but gained 40lb back. Now I'm determined to eat healthily and exercise lots. Most importantly without restricting myself too much because that's when I fall back into old habits.