Cheat meals!?

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
does anyone have a cheat meal? Or do you just work some cheat foods or should I say "bad foods" or whatever your preference is into their calorie goals? I haven't had a takeaway in 6 months and will be having one next weekend however instead of ordering a full meal to myself I'm going to just half 1 meal between me & my partner .. How far do people go with food does anyone totally cut bad food out of their lives for good? I like to have the odd biscuit or piece of chocolate but I don't over indulge I will have like a square of chocolate rather than a full bar. Just curious as to what people do? :)

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I fit all foods into my cals but, I also have cheat days once a week where I eat bigger portions of stuff I love like pasta or brownies and such. I have lost almost 33 lbs in 3 months. So I found what works for me which doesn't mean it works that way for other ppl.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just fit all that stuff in daily. I usually have a serving of ice cream every night. Eat fast food at least once a week if not more...

In context of a balanced diet, there's nothing wrong with having any of those things. Just fit it into your calorie goal.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals. I eat all the foods I love everyday, just make them fit into my daily calories.
  • Samm471
    Options
    I think it's good you can do that , then that way your not totally depriving yourself of treats etc so that's quite good :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I learned to savor. Having rushed through every meal in my life I learned to slow down and actually enjoy my food. I don't think of anything a cheats unless you don't log it - just think of it as extra burn juice for the next workout.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals, but I do understand the appeal of it for some. I like to eat what I want everyday in smaller portions. Others like to save up those calories and have a large quantity on a designated day. To each his own.
  • Samm471
    Options
    That's cool I never thought of the saving up the calories and having like a bigger portion on a designated day that sounds a good idea too , I must admit I am looking forward to my takeaway next weekend but I won't over indulge
  • naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    On my cheat meals I don't count.I eat whatever I'm craving for.It can be a cowboy steak burger from apple bees or molten lava cake or both lol my mouth is watering
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    does anyone have a cheat meal? Or do you just work some cheat foods or should I say "bad foods" or whatever your preference is into their calorie goals? I haven't had a takeaway in 6 months and will be having one next weekend however instead of ordering a full meal to myself I'm going to just half 1 meal between me & my partner .. How far do people go with food does anyone totally cut bad food out of their lives for good? I like to have the odd biscuit or piece of chocolate but I don't over indulge I will have like a square of chocolate rather than a full bar. Just curious as to what people do? :)

I did a cheat meal and a cheat day each week when I was focused on losing weight. Also had one epic cheat day a month, which is the only time I'd go over my calorie budget.
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a day that I just eat what I want to I used to eat loads of stuff but felt so ill afterwards I stopped doing that but I still have my day that I eat what I want just not to the excess that I used to and I feel doing that keeps me on track as I dont feel as if I'm missing out, but IMO do what is best for you not what other people think you should do xxx
  • RogerDeRok
    RogerDeRok Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do cheat meals, but try to limit them as much as possible. If I have one, I try to balance the days surrounding it to make myself still stay under the calorie goal for the entire week instead of looking at that particular day separately.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There's no virtue to be found in food; nor is there lack of virtue. Food is neither good nor bad. Eating food you like isn't a betrayal.

If you choose to eat some food, do it because you choose to eat it. Not because you deserve it, or because you've been "good," or any other judgment-laden reason. You don't call it cheating on your commute if you take a different route. You don't walk on one side of the street because the other one is bad. You don't reward yourself for reading a book by watching TV. You can still reach your goal if sometimes you stop to smell the flowers, and there's nothing wrong with flowers.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I don't believe any food is "bad". unless you're allergic. Then it's bad....for you...but still not in general. If I want something and it fits my calories, I'll eat it. If it doesn't fit, I'll just tack another 10k onto my run and MAKE it. lol
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I don't like that phrase at all. Eat everything you want as long as you stay within your (daily or weekly) calorie budget, hit your macros, and have your fill of micronutrients.

I have takeout at least once a week (and my fair share of alcohol) and have been steadily losing weight. And getting healthier (off blood pressure and thyroid meds simply by doing the above).

Moderation is key - don't overindulge, but there is no need to restrict oneself to too great an extent either.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    There's no virtue to be found in food; nor is there lack of virtue. Food is neither good nor bad. Eating food you like isn't a betrayal.

If you choose to eat some food, do it because you choose to eat it. Not because you deserve it, or because you've been "good," or any other judgment-laden reason. You don't call it cheating on your commute if you take a different route. You don't walk on one side of the street because the other one is bad. You don't reward yourself for reading a book by watching TV. You can still reach your goal if sometimes you stop to smell the flowers, and there's nothing wrong with flowers.

Agreed.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I don't consider any food as "cheating" or bad. Do I limit the high calorie choices on most days? Yes, absolutely. But I look forward to and fit into my budget everything I want. I will be eating at a restaurant tonight and will only eat half the meal.
  • Samm471
    Options
    All good points made! Everyone has a different outlook on it some people don't call it bad food or a cheat meal and some do but each to their own I guess it's just whatever makes you happy :) some people might not eat those things simply because they don't want to its each individual's preference I guess
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there are meals that i eat that are very healthy such as a salad, grilled chicken, and a sweet potato. that's a healthy meal.

but a "cheat" meal of smoked pork belly, mac and cheese, cornbread, and a beer that still fits into my calories is okay too.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would never use the word "cheat" to describe food that I purposefully eat. I never cheat myself. Mainly, I fit my treats into my calorie level and go over for special occasions that I plan for in advance. It is definitely not cheating.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This topic has come up quite a bit. Everyone is different when deciding on a cheat meal or day. Some people like to have their 'bad foods' on a daily basis but small portion sizes to fit into their calories, and there's nothing wrong with that. I personally for the last few years have my cheat DAY, not just a meal every Saturday. I still keep up with my running and boxing everyday and my weight is always where I want to be. Now having said that, I don't injest a ridiculous amount of calories on Saturday but if I want to have a burger or a few beers with some buddies, I don't feel guilty doing it.