Now what? New goals?

Options
2»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you considered free online exercise videos? I really like FitnessBlender.com. They have a wide variety of videos, so it doesn't get boring. After I've watched a video through once or twice I can put on music while it plays.

If you're not interested in eating less, I won't make any suggestions there.

One of my goals for 2015 is to do a pull up. You can set one of your goals to be doing specific body weight exercises, like a push up. You could also set for yourself flexibility goals, like a standing toe touch with straight legs, or a yoga pose, like the bow pose.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So, since I don't want to push myself exercising with exercises I dislike and I don't want to turn into a binge eater from eating too few calories/cutting out certain foods, I should stop with trying to do anything else and go to maintenance.

Time to stay fat!
    giphy.gif

Personally, I don't have time for doing exercises that I don't like. But we all need to be active. The best thing to do is to find some activity that you enjoy and go after it.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    First of all, you've done fantastic with your loss so far. You should be very proud of yourself.

I think there's been some great suggestions. Some other options might be some workout DVD's from your public library. I'm not very coordinated, but I like the walk at home ones - http://www.walkathome.com/

I know my library carries a bunch of fitness DVD's.

Some one else suggested adding some running to your walks - Couch to 5k is a great program. So is the Zombies 5k if you're looking something less structured than C25K. In fact the Zombies Run program can be done at a walking pace as well and if you have chases on it means adding a minute of running every once in a while when a zombie is near you. Just upping your calorie burn slightly more to help with your deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    comes to forum and asks for goal suggestions...gets goal suggestions...gets panties in a bunch...

tumblr_ltncqc3O2N1r4ghkoo1_500.gif

it doesn't have to be "lifting or GTFO"...there's a lot more to fitness...how about find something you enjoy doing and do that and make goals to become better at that...

The reason people are suggesting fitness goals is because, guess what...most people who transition to maintenance need to establish new goals to keep them going...usually it's fitness related because everything else has been accomplished.

maybe you should just not ask for advice if you don't actually want it.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd try focusing less on losing weight and more on fitness goals for a bit. When I was losing before I got stalled and did that and ended up losing the rest without thinking much about it, but the bigger thing is that it gives you something else to think about that keeps you into fitness and not getting burnt out.

The trick is picking a fitness goal that you will enjoy. Walking goals can be harder because unless you have somewhere to hike it ends up being about time. (There are walking groups here that combine walking with neighborhood tours and I've considered joining them or just copying some of the routes, as I tend to prefer exercise as a somewhat solitary thing much of the time.)

I like training for races, but it doesn't seem as if you are interested in running and you haven't mentioned biking (recreational biking is great for goal setting, IMO).

Mostly it's just about figuring out what would be fun for you to focus on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Have you considered free online exercise videos? I really like FitnessBlender.com. They have a wide variety of videos, so it doesn't get boring. After I've watched a video through once or twice I can put on music while it plays.

If you're not interested in eating less, I won't make any suggestions there.

One of my goals for 2015 is to do a pull up. You can set one of your goals to be doing specific body weight exercises, like a push up. You could also set for yourself flexibility goals, like a standing toe touch with straight legs, or a yoga pose, like the bow pose.

OP does not want to exercise because by her own definition she is "too lazy" to....
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    With my clean bill of health this week, I've only got 1 goal left - make my original GW of 140#.

TL;DR - Goals met. Need new goals. Suggestions?
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP does not want to exercise because by her own definition she is "too lazy" to....

Quote from your profile:
    As a friend: I will like 94% of your status updates (weight loss/gain, diary completed, general chitchat) and be there for virtual hugs and a shoulder to cry on.

Also from your profile:
    Why I want to get in shape
    I don't.

Please give OP a virtual hug, people. Please. Also, be there for OP to cry on your shoulder.

effd80c1b1b2e372b176b8d67412bf5a.320x204x1.jpg

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Fantastic loss to date, OP!

Why not find an exercise that is fun for you and focus on mini-goals? I started out running this year with what now seems like ridiculously easy goals like "run for one mile." I can't remember how far I got the first time, but I tapped out at three minutes. You don't have to get super-ripped or anything, just find a physical activity that appeals and consistently improve at it.

As for the staying within your calories thing, I'm struggling right now too. I've finally decided to stop buying junk food until I relearn how to moderate--my self-control has gone out of the window recently. I'm also going to look for new recipes and start fixing those--I think I got stuck in a chicken-and-same-vegetables rut.

Good luck!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So, since I don't want to push myself exercising with exercises I dislike and I don't want to turn into a binge eater from eating too few calories/cutting out certain foods, I should stop with trying to do anything else and go to maintenance.

Time to stay fat!

Wow. Several people suggested you temporarily adjust your calories up to maintenance levels, to give yourself a break. Then after a few weeks/months you'll be refreshed and ready to go back into weight loss mode again. How is that saying you should stop doing anything and go into maintenance, end of story?

But never mind, I'm done offering help to someone who's so rude :*
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and walk your butt off. That's what I'm doing. I cant give you a more simple solution.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    So, since I don't want to push myself exercising with exercises I dislike

Don't push yourself with exercises you don't like ... find some you DO like. Then challenge yourself with them. :)

• princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a few years ago. There was no exercise that I wanted to do. My husband does rock climbing and when he misses a day he's really sad and he lives it so much. I had never had anything like that with exercise. So I was talking with my friend and she said "if you could do ANY active thing in the world, no limits, what would it be?" the only thing I could think of was river dance, but at my weight and fitness level I thought that was impossible. Turns out there's a great Irish dance school right near my house, and I love it so much, like my husband loves climbing.

Six years later and I'm at my goal range. Most of that success is due to counting calories and dancing.

All that to say there's got to be something in this whole world that involves moving your body that you would love. Keep looking if you haven't found it yet, and good luck!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and walk your butt off. That's what I'm doing. I cant give you a more simple solution.

I lost two pounds in one month eating above my usual maintenance and exercising. (I just got burned out and was too hungry to eat less.) I think it's a fantastic idea, OP.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of sports ... if you Google 'list of sports' you'll find more as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

Maybe there's something on that list you'd like to do. Or maybe you're next goal will be to try at least 10 of them. Or something like that. :)