Please help me with how to log exercise on this website.

ht1211
ht1211 Posts: 26 Member
Can anyone help me with logging exercises? I've seen people putting Bikram Yoga, Myfitnessblender HITT ab workouts, P90X, Jillian Michael 30 days shred, etc., all these set exercise on here. But every time I search for anything under exercise, none of these will come up. I always have to end up selecting something similar, like OK, there was some jumping jack in that, so let me log in 5 mins of jumping jack... So of course how much calories I just burned is not accurate, and every time I just have to try to guess how much calories I burned.
How did you guys do it? What am I doing wrong?
Help please!

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    You can create your own exercise which is probably what they did. Heart rate monitor probably gave them the # of calories burned and they created an exercise. If you are doing many different things during your workout you can just log it as "circuit training general" please keep in mind though that calorie burns are estimates and typically over estimated. I usually only eat between 50-75% of my exercise calories back. Good luck to you.
  • slowestBurpeesEver
    slowestBurpeesEver Posts: 16 Member
    Those odd things you're seeing are exercises that people have entered as a custom exercise. After you search for an exercise, there's a link at the bottom of the form to Add an exercise to the database. Click that and you can create your custom exercise.

The calories burned is not going to be accurate regardless, unfortunately - MFP overestimates the number of calories you burn with an exercise, someone figured out that when they did their calculations they forgot to subtract the base calorie rate per hour from the exercise calories burned per hour. So a lot of us modify the number of calories burned to account for that.
  • MVanSickle14
    MVanSickle14 Posts: 2 Member
    The ones in the database give you a general idea. Definitely check out Heart Rate Monitors with the chest strap. That gives me an accurate calorie burned count for workouts. For things like Insanity, Turbo Jam, etc. the HRM is the best guess. Like everyone else said, the database might not be accurate. It all depends on your actual weight and the intensity because someone who weighs more will be able to burn more calories faster than someone who weighs less. Same goes with pounds of weight lost.