Help with Calorie burn!

Options
Ok I do not have a Fitbit or a HRM yet and I need help with how many calories I actually burnt today!

I am 5ft 3 1/4 331 pounds and 33 years old

I do a 15 minute work out 3 days a week that my consultant trainer told me to do and then I will be doing 1 work out with my personal trainer once a week for 30 minutes I do not know that work out routine yet

Anyways what I did today was

Back against the ball that is against the wall (named invisible chair or something)
I did 15 going up and down (rolling the ball on the wall against the back)
And then I stayed in a squat position and had 7 pound weights did 15 of them
Then i used the resistance bands put it on the ground (standing on it) criss crossed them and then I walked side to side when my legs were apart i put my hands up to the air with it.. did that 15 times and then had to go back to the right (another 15 times)
Then I did 15 butt lifts on a mat first both legs and then 1 leg (left) 15 and then 1 leg (right) 15
Then I put my arms up with 7 pound weights while I was on my back 15 times
Then I did battle rope. left arm 15 times back and forth, 15 times up and down and then same for the right arm. Then did both arms like a jump rope

Yes I was pooped after. I just really wanna know how many calories I actually burnt

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would log it as circuit training on here.
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    No that doesn't show me how many calories I burn
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Probably not very many. Sounds like you did resistance training which doesn't really burn calories. Definitely under 100 I'd say.
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    Really for someone my weight? I feel that is wrong
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I would log it as circuit training on here.
    That's probably how I would've logged that also. (But beware that mfp is known to overestimate calories burnt . Many people only eat back 30/50% of what mfp gives them as calories burnt. I use a different method so don't eat back so I don't even bother logging my workouts though)

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like a strength training or toning session than a cardio workout and the calorie burn is probably going to be lower. Do you know how long you worked out?

Great job on your workout today! :)
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    and it wasn't just resistance.. I will just ask my trainer
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    It was only 15 minutes and ty debubbie
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a good way to quantify calorie burn with resistance training the way you would with a cardio exercise like walking, running, or cycling. Admittedly, it's just a guess. If you want to burn calories and have a decent idea of how many, get a HRM and do cardio. The estimates for those types of exercises are fairly reliable. Do strength and resistance training to get stronger.
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    I will be doing that soon
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would log it as strength training, as mentioned above. It should only be 100-150 cals.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No that doesn't show me how many calories I burn

Yes it will. This is what it tells me if I select Circuit Training from the database and put 15 mins in.
    qhduoooqedga.jpg
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    Ok.. I rather not.

I really need to know what is more accurate a fit bit or a heart rate monitor. ANd If I buy a HRM how do I log that?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I rather not.

I really need to know what is more accurate a fit bit or a heart rate monitor. ANd If I buy a HRM how do I log that?

A HRM or Fitbit is not going to be accurate for what you are describing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    Really? Why is that? I am working out and sweating.. WHy does this counting calorie have to be so frustrating :(
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Really? Why is that? I am working out and sweating.. WHy does this counting calorie have to be so frustrating :(

The link explains the issue with HRMs, basically, there isn't a direct relationship between HR and calories burned. You can get a reasonable estimate under a specific circumstance - steady state cardio. This is not steady state cardio.

A Fitbit is bascially a step counter, it gives you an idea of calories burned over the day through activity but can't measure specific activities like circuit training or weight training.

It doesn't have to be complicated. Keep in mind ANY method is an estimation. All have their pros and cons. Outside of a lab, there is no exact answer. People have been losing weight for a long time without fancy equipment.

Another good blog by the OP of the other one
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041

My suggestion would be to estimate on the lower side, stay consistent for a few weeks (more than 3 or 4) and adjust as necessary.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    @KristenMarie1181 I use a polar HRM to get a better estimate of my calorie burns than what MFP gives me. It always grossly exaggerates my calorie burn. That is part of the reason that I don't log my exercise calories and worry more about staying under my calorie goal, and I have a tendency to want to overeat because I have "exercise calories" for the day.

Keep in mind that eating at a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight and exercising is more for your health than losing weight. You may want to focus on specific fitness goals instead of calories burned during exercise. For example, being able to do this routine twice for a total of 30 minutes, walking up a flight of stairs without getting winded, or riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

They're two totally different things.

Activity trackers (like Fitbit) measure your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), aka the number of calories necessary to maintain your current weight. When you connect your accounts, MFP adjusts your calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit.

Heart rate monitors (HRMs) are only for steady-state cardio (for example, running on the treadmill). Some sync with MFP. If you buy one that doesn't, you just log your burns the same way you currently log exercise.
  • mowhite119
    mowhite119 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, keep up the good work! Focus on exercises which burn more calories like walking. Get your heart rate to a steady 150 for 30 minutes. You can do it, good luck!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

It really doesn't have to be so frustrating. Eat at a deficit for weight loss and workout for your health. As long as your eating at a deficit, you'll lose weight. For the activities you described above, for 15 mins , your calorie burn won't be very high uunfortunately so it's not worth getting flustered over. Any way you calculate it, it's still just going to be a guess. Granted, some guesses are more accurate then others but it's still just an estimate.