Mental Health Issues + Medication: Looking for Support

Options
FatPixiee
FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
Hey. So I've been having some trouble with my medications lately or well for like the last 12 years type of lately. I have not found what works best for me yet for my combination of bipolar 1 symptoms, social anxiety disorder, and ocd. Although I know it is not something to be ashamed of, I realize that this sort of thing is often off putting to the "normal" people. These difficulties really affect the way I lose weight emotionally and also just from the physical effects of the med, especially as they are constantly changing forcing me to go through withdrawal and also new side effects. I have tried to find an active group for Mental Health Support on MFP, but it seems there are too many that have not made it. (Maybe because there is not a search function for groups?) Anyhow I would like to offer my support to others who may be dealing with mental health disorders and trying to lose weight through all the symptoms and or medication side effects. I hope there are others reading this who could use some support in these matters?

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Good for you for reaching out and offering a helping hand. Five years ago I experienced a life changing panic attack that landed me in the ER. For the next two years I was agorophobic. I couldn't leave the house without having a panic attack. I felt so alone, so ashamed and so embarassed. I finally went on medication so that I could begin healing, but that medication also brought along a 60 pound weight gain in 6 months. I put on my happy face and always told everyone "I would rather be fat and happy than miserable and skinny" but it was depressing. I am now in the process of weaning off my medication, I've been low carbing for 3 weeks and I'm down 17" and 9 lbs. I feel wonderful and have only had ONE panic attack in the past 4 months. I used to have 2, 3, 4 panic attacks in a DAY!

I'm not saying you have to wean off your medication to lose weight, but it's amazing how a good diet and some exercise can help with mental health. :smile:
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm not sure I am going to be of much help since I stopped all of my meds in December. This time last year someone told me that what we eat also impacts the brain and can trigger to episode of mania. I began changing my lifestyle but still wasn't really paying attention specifically to what I ate but in December I really decided to make a dramatic change and my life has done an about turn.

I haven't had any episodes since September last year. I wouldn't of course that you stop your meds just like that. I started by first reducing all dosages so that I got to the minimum and then I started eliminating each one separately. The last one was epitic/lamicitin from September to Dec.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    I also belong to the online chronic disease community called Patients Like Me. That really helped me life MFP does because I could monitor my moods and symptoms to really see what works and what doesn't and discuss stuff with people in the forums.
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I have schizoaffective bipolar type (mish-mash of schizophrenia and bipolar). I've gone through seemingly countless medications (14 in antipsychotics alone). I'm dealing with one that causes a lot of weight gain as it is. I'm determined to fight against it as best I can. I have had several (about 30) hospitalizations. It does frequently seem like I can choose to be bat-crap insane and physically healthy or sane and physically a mess due to the meds. It just seems that way at times, but then again I stay med compliant and still end up with episodes of severe psychosis, depression or mania (but who really complains about mania until it gets out of hand?). The weight is a huge issue for me, as much as the mental illness. Just seems hard to never really get too far ahead with one or the other.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    This is where I shifted in the management of my bipolar http://tamingthepolarbears.blogspot.com/

We are very good friends now and his blog has helped hundreds of people. This is more about bipolar itself and not so much about the food but you can ask him questions about food/meds/symptoms and side effects.

@Etherlily1 you may relate because the author also has schizo episodes. His earlier writing is not so scientific and I found it easier to read. He literally saved my life last year.
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I also have bipolar; mine is type 2. Although I stay on meds, I still experience ups and downs, just at a little more manageable level. It's hard to stay motivated when the illness is making you feel that you can't do it, or it won't work anyway. I know it's the illness and not logic, but it doesn't make it easier to ignore.

I would love to have some friends who truly understand how tough mental illness is, but that we can be tougher! Please add me if you'd like. I've been a huge slacker but am ready to start fighting to be healthy.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with Postpartum Psychosis last year and gained 3.5 stone in 6 months on Olanzapine (an antipsychotic medication) I'm getting serious about my diet now as I'm desperate to be happier in my own body. I'm a UK size 18 which is depressing me more. I'm still on medication, I also have Hypothyroidism which hasn't helped. I could use some support from people who understand please.
  • Colt45915
    Colt45915 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Im schizophrenic and have depression but on medication that seems to help most days. I have 60 lbs to lose, if anyone wants to add me
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    I will add all of you when I get back on my desktop. I was chatting to someone on a different site and he was talking about his journey back to health.

He started a "Keto Diet" and after three weeks his brain fog lifted and his energy levels increased, he wasn't tired or drained anymore. I am not advocating any diet (because I couldn't stick to one to save my life), but I am mentioning it because of the importance of eating the "right" foods.

I had the same increase in energy and clarity of mind within just two weeks of eating proper food and exercising 30 minute a day to start with. Eliminating Processed foods, and fast foods make a huge difference immediately. They contain a lot of salt and hidden sugars. In terms of baby steps, they are quick wins because you can always start by mini goals such as cooking from scratch three times this week, or healthy choice as this restaurant all week earlier etc.

They say true weight loss is 80% food and 20 % exercise. I believe that because I am losing weight even though I am totally sedentary.

The brain is a powerful machine that contains programs. Reprogramming the Brain to make better choices, changing the lifestyle to support the choices and reducing medication to a minimum, is what is helping those of us battling with mental disorders to get back our lives back in control.
  • courtniekrebs
    courtniekrebs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    its nice to see a mental health blog on here. I've been diagnosed with anxiety and PTSD. I actually quit my medicine cold turkey and suffered for over three weeks with withdrawls. I gained weight on my medicine and am now trying to lose what I gained. Frustrating.