Meals and Snacks for Picky Eating Adult

Options
I have always been a picky eater and when I was younger I was able to keep weight off because I was active everyday. I'm 25 now and have a desk job and its harder for me to stay active. I don't eat any fruits or vegetables, but I have slowly opened up to trying them. I would like to know what ways I can ease into eating green without forcing them down and if there are any health snack options that can ease me into healthier eating too. Thanks!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In order for us to give you specific ideas, you need to tell us what kinds of fruits and vegetables you do eat.
    Do you eat any at all like apples, green beans, corn, potatoes, cucumbers, beans?
  • emily90291
    emily90291 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I've always been a picky eater so it is hard for me to "diet."
  • jbear713
    jbear713 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    emily90291 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat! I've always been a picky eater so it is hard for me to "diet."
    I totally get it! I don't eat chicken, fish, have allergy to shellfish, yogurt, don't like many nuts or green veggies. Not a big fruit eater at all mostly due to pre-diabetes and the acids that irritate my stomach. Most of this is due to intolerance. My staple all of my like has been in carbs. Now 48, and just leaving a desk job after a year, I've gained 40lbs!! I just don't like many foods, and find myself clam morning to increase my protein. I do like eggs, but that's about it. I've started adding hummus to my occasional flatbread sandwich just to get more protein. About to try Quinoa. But from what I'm hearing, doesn't sound like I'll like it. I live on low fat string cheese, small apples and peanut butter. I've only just been released to walk after ankle surgery so only been mildly active the past 3 weeks. Very very picky eater!! Would love suggestions.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was a severe picky eater and I have made huge progress but it has been really hard work because (as I'm sure you know) even attempting to taste a 'no' food is really stressful.

What I've found helpful:
    Blend and disguise - a lot of veg can be pureed and mixed in to sauces, soups etc. They will add bulk and nutrients but with some experimentation their flavour and textures can be hidden and you can very gradually add more until you are used to the taste. Curries, chilli, pasta bakes are all good for this.

Experiment with cooking methods - Just this week I discovered that I really like green beans if they're roasted. Huge win for me! The texture and flavour can be changed massively by cooking methods. So don't just try steamed cauliflower and decide you don't like it. Try it mashed with cream cheese. Try it grilled on the barbecue. Try it in potato soup, or made into rice or pancakes. Likewise use different seasonings, cook food from other cultures, arrange it beautifully etc to help yourself.

Eat things you've never tried - My first breakthrough foods were things I had never eaten as a child. So there was no lingering anxiety, no bad memories etc. So if you remember crying over broccoli as a kid, leave the broccoli and try samphire or celeriac or whatever. It's still tough if you are a very picky eater but for me it was easier to eat food that didn't come with mental baggage.

Sneak up on food - Put a bit of salad on the edge of your plate even if you don't eat it. Prepare a new veg for someone else to eat just to get used to the smells etc. There were lots of times when I cooked something and couldn't bring myself to eat it. Yes, it's wasteful but for me it was a necessary part of repairing my relationship with food. Next comes eating tiny bites (or maybe just a lick, the first time?) perhaps with a mouthful of something else.

The good news is, the more food I have learned to like, the easier it gets. I'm not fixed yet. I can't eat any raw fruit or veg because of the texture but I've gone from eating none at all to probably 15-20 different types and you can imagine that's HUGE.

Incidentally my husband is also a severe picky eater (different issues, mine was mostly texture his was flavour) who has never pushed himself and still has a very limited diet. He has made some improvements because of the work I've been doing but for me, it was worth the hard work because it has a huge impact both on my health and my social life.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I was a severe picky eater and I have made huge progress but it has been really hard work because (as I'm sure you know) even attempting to taste a 'no' food is really stressful.

What I've found helpful:
    Blend and disguise - a lot of veg can be pureed and mixed in to sauces, soups etc. They will add bulk and nutrients but with some experimentation their flavour and textures can be hidden and you can very gradually add more until you are used to the taste. Curries, chilli, pasta bakes are all good for this.

Experiment with cooking methods - Just this week I discovered that I really like green beans if they're roasted. Huge win for me! The texture and flavour can be changed massively by cooking methods. So don't just try steamed cauliflower and decide you don't like it. Try it mashed with cream cheese. Try it grilled on the barbecue. Try it in potato soup, or made into rice or pancakes. Likewise use different seasonings, cook food from other cultures, arrange it beautifully etc to help yourself.

Eat things you've never tried - My first breakthrough foods were things I had never eaten as a child. So there was no lingering anxiety, no bad memories etc. So if you remember crying over broccoli as a kid, leave the broccoli and try samphire or celeriac or whatever. It's still tough if you are a very picky eater but for me it was easier to eat food that didn't come with mental baggage.

Sneak up on food - Put a bit of salad on the edge of your plate even if you don't eat it. Prepare a new veg for someone else to eat just to get used to the smells etc. There were lots of times when I cooked something and couldn't bring myself to eat it. Yes, it's wasteful but for me it was a necessary part of repairing my relationship with food. Next comes eating tiny bites (or maybe just a lick, the first time?) perhaps with a mouthful of something else.

The good news is, the more food I have learned to like, the easier it gets. I'm not fixed yet. I can't eat any raw fruit or veg because of the texture but I've gone from eating none at all to probably 15-20 different types and you can imagine that's HUGE.

Incidentally my husband is also a severe picky eater (different issues, mine was mostly texture his was flavour) who has never pushed himself and still has a very limited diet. He has made some improvements because of the work I've been doing but for me, it was worth the hard work because it has a huge impact both on my health and my social life.

These are great suggestions. :)
    I like my veggies roasted too. Some foods from childhood I cannot eat, but I am fine with many foods I first encountered as an adult.
  • christophercraig_
    christophercraig_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options

What I've found helpful:

Thank you so much for the advice!! It's encouraging to hear that you were able overcome the picky eating and I hope to do the same!
  • christophercraig_
    christophercraig_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    In order for us to give you specific ideas, you need to tell us what kinds of fruits and vegetables you do eat.
    Do you eat any at all like apples, green beans, corn, potatoes, cucumbers, beans?

I can do spinach, small amounts of lettuce, sliced tomatoes and onion. Mostly vegetables on sandwiches. Also peas and carrots. It's easier for me in smaller bit size pieces, less stressful to eat. I've always been too afraid to try different fruits and vegetables so I just avoid them most of the time.