People who just HAVE to comment on your diet...

A coworker of mine feels the need to throw in her 2 cents about my diet and it really really bugs me! I eat very well and eat for my fitness goals. My work is really junk food friendly and anytime there's a lunch or snacks its always terrible food so I refrain. That's my choice but I still get "the look" for declining those foods. This one person in particular though, has stopped by my desk while I'm eating breakfast which is always my fav proats and some egg whites, and commented on how she's so surprised I eat so much and am not overweight and that I just better wait till I get older. Like what! Mind your own lady, get the F outta here. This has happened a few times now and I needed to vent, and I know lots of you can probably relate.
I feel alot better now. Although I'm still mentally smacking her for her ignorance.

Replies

• eihcir1
    eihcir1 Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2015
    Don't let the negative people sap your energy.Life is just too short.Humor them. Just say to them, you haven,t seen anything yet, lunch is right around the corner or just :smile:
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Let me guess....she's older than you, and fatter than you? Clearly this isn't your problem. Let her be as belligerent as she needs to be in order to make herself feel better, you do you. The best answer in the world to something like that is to continue your plan.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Let her think what she likes. It isn't your problem. While she watches you eat your "big meals" and makes comments she will also surely notice as your weight loss becomes obvious. Let her puzzle that out on her own. You don't owe anyone an explanation.
  • hellsbells0706
    hellsbells0706 Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks I know it's not my problem, it just really got to me today for some reason. I will definitely keep doing what I'm doing, I just wish people would mind their own business and not feel the need to comment on something they have no idea about.
  • lilyann001
    lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
    A coworker of mine feels the need to throw in her 2 cents about my diet and it really really bugs me! I eat very well and eat for my fitness goals. My work is really junk food friendly and anytime there's a lunch or snacks its always terrible food so I refrain. That's my choice but I still get "the look" for declining those foods. This one person in particular though, has stopped by my desk while I'm eating breakfast which is always my fav proats and some egg whites, and commented on how she's so surprised I eat so much and am not overweight and that I just better wait till I get older. Like what! Mind your own lady, get the F outta here. This has happened a few times now and I needed to vent, and I know lots of you can probably relate.
    I feel alot better now. Although I'm still mentally smacking her for her ignorance.

There are people who think that is is ok to "fit/thin shame" people when it is actually just as bad as shaming any group of people (unless they are serial killers/murderers/child molesters or someone who actually did something bad enough to be shamed about versus weighing a certain weight) because it is the ideal body type that people want. It's like yelling at someone "you're beautiful" and thinking it's ok because you are actually giving them a compliment. It's not ok because people are still being purposely rude and making you feel bad about your body shape. I remember when I was close to my goal weight, all the sudden people would push unhealthy food at me, passive-aggressively giving me rude looks and making me feel bad for passing up unhealthy food. Succeeding in my goals was making them feel bad, which actually has nothing to do with me at all; it's their own insecurities and unhappiness that they are projecting onto me because everyone should be as unhappy as they are.

Giving your co-workers the benefit of the doubt, they might be thinking they are giving you a compliment. Personally, I think it's jealousy. What you have to remember is that it has nothing to do with you at all, it is their own insecurities and unhappiness. It is not your job to sabotage yourself so that they feel better seeing you eating the same foods and being at the same weight. You should say something right away because they are only going to continue. Whenever that co-worker comments on your food quickly say "what I eat is none of your business." If she says something else say "Stop commenting on my food and my weight" Until she stops trying to argue about it. You will feel a lot better for saying something and that is the only way people will stop, otherwise the frustration about them being rude will continue.

Also, are there any co-workers who are interested in losing weight/getting fitter? If you got more people who are trying to eat healthier in the work place there might be healthier options offered at work.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    lilyann001 wrote: »

While I understand exactly what you're saying, and agree on most of it, I have to disagree with how to handle it. I would try to not instigate a fight with my co-worker, and making comments like "what I eat is none of your business" is a great way to make an enemy. One that you may not need down the road. Workplace relationships are difficult enough without actively creating an antagonist. Yes, we should be able to defend ourselves against such attacks, but let's not pretend that the world is fair. If it were, we wouldn't be getting attacked like that in the first place. My advice is to kill em with kindness. When she says "I'm surprised you eat so much and aren't overweight. Just wait until you're older," maybe reply by laughing and saying "yeah, I know, right? That will suck." Let her have her little victory here. We all know that it's not going to "catch up with you when you're older," but that's not necessarily a fight worth fighting. You don't need to give this jealous, insecure person, more reason to hate and possibly sabotage you in the professional work space.

I pack my lunches to work, and when I have gotten comments, I try to defuse them by saying "Oh, it' just leftovers," or "I'm trying to see if it's cheaper to pack my lunch than to buy it every day." Passive-aggressively shift the focus so that they'll be the ***hole for trying to call you out on what you're eating, rather than allowing them to make you the ***hole that think's they're "too good" to eat a bag of potato chips, or whatever.