Filling foods

what foods fill you up without a ton of calories or keep you full for a long time?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Almost any non-starchy vegetables can add good bulk, as well as fiber, good micro nutrients, etc. Brassicas (Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, etc) are some of my favorites. Legumes are good, too; I like lentils for being easy to prep and pretty versatile.

Lean proteins are always good choices for that, too. Chicken breast, shrimp, fish, etc.
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Almost any non-starchy vegetables can add good bulk, as well as fiber, good micro nutrients, etc. Brassicas (Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, etc) are some of my favorites. Legumes are good, too; I like lentils for being easy to prep and pretty versatile.

Lean proteins are always good choices for that, too. Chicken breast, shrimp, fish, etc.

I love cauliflower and recently found out that I Ike cabbage in place of lettuce (which I hate) for salad. When it gets hot outside I hate to cook so I always keep some cauliflower in the fridge for snacking. It's grill season too which is good for chicken breast and fish. I loved shrimp when I was younger but I just can't get past the texture now.

I usually don't eat until after noon but my son goes on summer vacation in a few days so I'll be getting up and moving a lot earlier than normal.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Filling enough for 238 calories?

5nzhlgkkhn66.jpg

or this one for 285 calories?

udi5eejvineh.jpg

Use your imagination and get adventurous in the kitchen :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Fat and protein keep me feeling satisfied. Non starchy vegies add volume, and make me feel like I've eaten a lot but don't "last" long imo.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    if you've never had protein fluff before. Give that ago, fills you up like mad. Not had it in donkeys though
  • livingleanlivingclean
    if you've never had protein fluff before. Give that ago, fills you up like mad. Not had it in donkeys though

I always think that's going to be a great idea. Then I eat it and feel like I'm full of gas and want to vomit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    300-400 calories

Chicken cacciatore and rice

Lentil sambar over mixed leaves

Vegetable stew with rice and cheese

Ham salad sandwich

Sea bass, butternut squash chips and veg

Squash risotto on mixed leaves

Bacon and egg toasted sandwich

Under 200 calories

Scrambled egg whites with mushrooms and cheese on white toast

Porridge with banana and honey

0% Greek yogurt and fresh blackberries / raspberries

Snickers ice cream bar

Whatever you like, eat it
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    I was suprised at this but I've recently discovered putting 20g of oats in smoothies oddly filling.

Hot jello pudding mix - the whole 4 serving packet is under 150 cals depending on milk used.

Protein fluff if you feel a binge coming will make you feel very very full and bloated. (Personally I like the egg white kind but each to their own.)

Massive salads with ridiculously large amounts of lettuce and cucumber can go with almost any meal or as a snack on their own. Super low calorie.

Bagel thins 130 cal each bagel and just as filling as a normal bagel.

Egg white scrambled with vegtables spinach and smoked salmon. Lots of veg!

Tins of baby carrots.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Protein fluff? What the frickin' frick is that?
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Basically protein powder mixed with milk, other stuff and Xanthan gum. Turns into this really big bowl of fluffy whip stuff that fills you up soooooo much. A 300 calorie bowl of this and you will feel like you've just had an entire dinner lol.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Anything that includes Wholewheat Pasta or Rice fills me up.
    I'm one of those rare people that doesn't get full on Protein.
  • chelsmaee7
    I'll get back to replies more specifically later on but I found a good link for anyone else that has no idea what this protein fluff stuff is!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-fluff-3-quick-and-easy-recipes.html

I really didn't like anything sweet before I started losing weight but now I crave sweets occasionally and this sounds like a great way to fulfill those cravings!!

I am curious though, would this be something good for a young (7 year old) child? My son is extremely skinny for his height, naturally, and with his ADD medication, he sometimes has a hard time eating unless it's something he really enjoys which is usually sweets.
  • chelsmaee7
    Anything that includes Wholewheat Pasta or Rice fills me up.
    I'm one of those rare people that doesn't get full on Protein.

I haven't really thought about what fills me up when I eat so I have no idea. I did eat a lot of protein for dinner last night though and was hungry again within an hour. Yesterday was also one of the days when I stayed awake after putting my son on the bus and started eating at 7am which always throws my whole day off. I think I need to start paying attention to how I feel after eating different things.

I do know that whenever I have spaghetti with whole wheat noodles I end up feeling TOO full after eating a small amount though!
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    In Japan, the konjac root is used to make shirataki noodles. They're extremely low in energy, and can be used as a replacement of noodles or pasta. Just make sure you coat them in flavourful sauce, because they are tasteless.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Basically protein powder mixed with milk, other stuff and Xanthan gum. Turns into this really big bowl of fluffy whip stuff that fills you up soooooo much. A 300 calorie bowl of this and you will feel like you've just had an entire dinner lol.

I make mine with frozen fruit and WPI plus a bit of water.... 100g of frozen berries makes pudding basin full!
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Google fighter diet...