Slow metabolism? Starvation mode?

Options
So here's the issue, myfitnesspal says I need to eat 2400 calories to maintain weight, another calculator says I need to eat 2900 calories to maintain weight. I'm trying to lose weight, but even when eating 2400 calories a day I gain weight. When I cut down to 1800 calories a day I still struggled to see any results yet everywhere I read online it says men shouldn't eat less than 1800 calories a day. 24 year old male at 315 pounds, body fat percentage calculators say anywhere from 36%-50%. Everyone swears that I look around 250 pounds, I'm very broad, I wear size 40 waist jeans.

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? Are you logging accurately? You're probably eating more than you think.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    At your size, you weren't gaining weight on 2400 calories, fact. You are simply doing something wrong and I expect it is either fiddling around with your calorie intake too much and fluctuating your water/glycogen levels, or you have not given it enough weeks/months and/or consistency.

Pick a number, stick with it, weight yourself and proceed accordingly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Joiner2008 wrote: »
    So here's the issue, myfitnesspal says I need to eat 2400 calories to maintain weight, another calculator says I need to eat 2900 calories to maintain weight. .

MyFitnessPal goal is 2400 + exercise calories, not just 2400, so numbers are likely very similar.

For your size that doesn't sound unreasonable.

Don't go looking for slow metabolism or starvation mode excuses - log your food accurately and consistently over a period of weeks would be the first sensible course of action. Open your diary if you want people to give specific advice or feedback.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So here's the issue, myfitnesspal says I need to eat 2400 calories to maintain weight, another calculator says I need to eat 2900 calories to maintain weight. I'm trying to lose weight, but even when eating 2400 calories a day I gain weight. When I cut down to 1800 calories a day I still struggled to see any results yet everywhere I read online it says men shouldn't eat less than 1800 calories a day. 24 year old male at 315 pounds, body fat percentage calculators say anywhere from 36%-50%. Everyone swears that I look around 250 pounds, I'm very broad, I wear size 40 waist jeans.

You know people say what you want to hear, always

People who love you will never see you as fat

That doesn't matter at 315lbs you are not at a healthy weight and you need to do it for you

The calculators don't matter so much ...what matters is weighing your food and logging accurately ...assume your TDEE is 2400, eat 1800 calories for the next 8 weeks and judge your weight loss over time (minimum for a man is 1500)

And start moving more - take a walk, lift heavy

You probably aren't logging properly ..read this http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • TillMann1
    TillMann1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all you need to please realise that only changing your eating behaviour will NOT make you lose weight, also there are different kinds of calorie intake. I can for example eat 2000 calories a day which only consists of unhealthy food or I take 5-6 smaller, healthier meals to me, it's all about the food you eat and not the calories the food gives you, major difference. Secondly please work out every day from now on, I can not say it offen enough, you only need 12 (!) minutes of exercises per day, which you can easily do at home, and besides that you need to change your eating behaviour in a major way. Before I came to myfitnesspal I weighed 96kg and then found Mark Laurens Bodyweight Training exercises. I'd suggest you check that out because it made me lose 31kg (in about 8 months) so far and I just love it now. You can have cheat days of course, but keep them rarely. I can not point out often enough that success comes with blood, sweat and tears, sometimes you need to eat things you hate, sometimes you need to work out after only sleeping two hours, you need to give yourself a big slap and get up and do something goddamnit, screw these hour long visits at the gym all you need is your body to work out!! Sorry but as an ex big weighter I feel for you and wish you great success on your way to become slimmer, I'd totally offer my help as a personal trainer but you probably dont live in my city, good luck!! Oh and btw cut that down to 1500 calories PLUS exercises, yes I sound harsh but as i said there is no way to lose weight without blood, sweat and tears! You didn't work out unless you lay on your back gasping for air and theres a big sweat print of your body on your yogamat. Anyhow, wish you all the best!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It can't be everywhere online that says not to eat less than 1800 because there are several that say 1500 and 1600.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Most can live comfortably on 1800 calories a day

I have done it for over a year and lost over 100 lbs.

I would try various calorie amounts, record the results, and then go with what works for the long term.

A program is a bit generic by design
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    TillMann1 wrote: »
    First of all you need to please realise that only changing your eating behaviour will NOT make you lose weight, also there are different kinds of calorie intake. I can for example eat 2000 calories a day which only consists of unhealthy food or I take 5-6 smaller, healthier meals to me, it's all about the food you eat and not the calories the food gives you, major difference. Secondly please work out every day from now on, I can not say it offen enough, you only need 12 (!) minutes of exercises per day, which you can easily do at home, and besides that you need to change your eating behaviour in a major way. Before I came to myfitnesspal I weighed 96kg and then found Mark Laurens Bodyweight Training exercises. I'd suggest you check that out because it made me lose 31kg (in about 8 months) so far and I just love it now. You can have cheat days of course, but keep them rarely. I can not point out often enough that success comes with blood, sweat and tears, sometimes you need to eat things you hate, sometimes you need to work out after only sleeping two hours, you need to give yourself a big slap and get up and do something goddamnit, screw these hour long visits at the gym all you need is your body to work out!! Sorry but as an ex big weighter I feel for you and wish you great success on your way to become slimmer, I'd totally offer my help as a personal trainer but you probably dont live in my city, good luck!! Oh and btw cut that down to 1500 calories PLUS exercises, yes I sound harsh but as i said there is no way to lose weight without blood, sweat and tears! You didn't work out unless you lay on your back gasping for air and theres a big sweat print of your body on your yogamat. Anyhow, wish you all the best!

Dude..no!

There are not different kinds of calorie intake ...a calorie is a measurement...eat at a defecit = weight loss. Nutritional breakdown of your calorie intake is important for health but not weight loss

You do not need to exercise every day ...exercise is great but the weight loss is due to eating less than you burn

If you need to cheat you're doing it wrong ...make what you want work in your calories

You do not to feel deprived to lose weight, you do not need to eat the lowest, safest calorie guideline for men

Gasping for air and sweat are not the signs of a good workout

Sheesh
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Most can live comfortably on 1800 calories a day

I have done it for over a year and lost over 100 lbs.

I would try various calorie amounts, record the results, and then go with what works for the long term.

A program is a bit generic by design

This. I've been eating about 1700 calories a day for over 6 months, losing over 20 kg in the process. And honestly, losing weight has never been easier.
  • JakeBrownVB
    edited May 2015
    Options
    also there are different kinds of calorie intake. I can for example eat 2000 calories a day which only consists of unhealthy food or I take 5-6 smaller, healthier meals to me, it's all about the food you eat and not the calories the food gives you, major difference. Secondly please work out every day from now on,

hahahahahahahah... this was honestly some of the dumbest statements I've heard in a while. Kind of wondering if you are trolling but I have a feeling your not.

Dude you really need to go do some learning because you are soooo misinformed you wouldn't believe. It's actually all about the calories you eat not the food choice you make, you've got it completely the wrong way around.

And the gasping for air comment... cringe...

But your new to this so dont worry... you will learn with time and look back on these beliefs you had and cringe also. I know I had a few, I think we all did.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That bodyfat percentage is important, it's the difference between your TDEE being 2800 and 2300.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    The juxtaposition of the two Avs above me

vbDLtVd.gif
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

hehe, I make stevencloser look like he doesn't even lift. Nom saiyan?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

vbDLtVd.gif

It's pretty awesome. Also, thank you for tackling that other dude so I didn't have to! Just...wow...so many wrong things in one place!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

first post eh...*smh*

the bolded parts all need ignored...really....

Calories are calories it doesn't matter where they come from....
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight
    You never have to eat things you don't like...we are not children.
    and a 315lb man should not be down to 1500 calories are you freakin' kidding me...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

The broscience is strong in this one......

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Ooooooooo, it's so manly, though. <3

NOT. LMAO.
  • Joiner2008
    Joiner2008 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe I didn't follow the diet long enough but I was eating the same foods for breakfast and lunch every day and only changing my dinner as my wife can't do the repetition. I wasn't weighing my food but I was measuring accurately. Today I ate 1584 calories and walked 3 miles and was fine. I'm telling you that without trying and just by measuring what I was eating on a daily basis my calorie intake was an average of 2400 and I was gaining weight..
  • Joiner2008
    Joiner2008 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Before I got this job I had a more physical job and was at the gym 3 times a week for an hour and was down to 265 and a size 36 jean. This job is quite sedentary and it's an hour away, with transit and walking time I lose 11 hours of my day to work, 19 if I work a double which I do at least twice a week. So I tend to not want to go to the gym now that I'm married. I did however buy an exercise bike, getting used to the pain of it is another story.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Maybe I didn't follow the diet long enough but I was eating the same foods for breakfast and lunch every day and only changing my dinner as my wife can't do the repetition. I wasn't weighing my food but I was measuring accurately. Today I ate 1584 calories and walked 3 miles and was fine. I'm telling you that without trying and just by measuring what I was eating on a daily basis my calorie intake was an average of 2400 and I was gaining weight..

If by measuring you mean you were using measuring cups....those can mean you're eating 20% more on average for solid foods.

Get a scale and see how that helps.

~Lyssa