New Closet Once I'm at Goal #1?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You will need to buy clothing as you go along. I would suggest that when you reach 175 that you buy a few dresses and skirts that are casual. They are much more forgiving as you go down a size or two. So are leggings. Very modern way of dressing. They also show off a great pair of legs. invest in shoes and boots.

Clothing sizes drop alarmingly fast as you drop under 175 pounds. You might be a size 10/12 (US) at 175 and a size 6 at 150.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've bought mostly thrift store clothes, but some nicer (read: pricier) things along the way, but I've held off on really splurging on clothes until I hit my GW. I've rewarded myself in other ways. For instance, for quite a while, I would buy myself a new pair of inexpensive earrings for every 5 lbs lost, and I set bigger rewards for bigger goals.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hah try and stop yourself buying new things once you're 175! I'm still 15 away from goal and I can't stop buying new cute clothes that show off my new figure. But buy carefully and consider how those clothes will look when you are smaller. A nice classic coat - no problem. Good slightly stretchy jeans will last too. I have been buying a little tight and in stretch fabrics knowing that they will only look better as I lose more. Plus as they are as tight as I can go it motivates me to maintain/lose more or I won't be able to wear them any more.
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think looking good in your clothes is a great way to remind you of your progress and motivate you to keep going.

I would try to go for something less expensive as other posters have mentioned, but if you want to buy something more upscale, I'd recommend something like a skirt or shift dress (with princess seams if possible), so it can be easily altered when you reach your ultimate goal. Good quality lined pants are a little trickier (and more expensive) to take in, and taking in something like a lined jacket can cost more than a new one.

Hear, hear.

I never throw anything out, so I still have plenty of clothes that haven't fitted me for a while waiting for me. However, if I buy something I like and then lose weight, I'll try to take it in. This might be a good idea anyway, since off-the-shelf clothes often don't fit perfectly anyway.

I also agree with the people who are advising to spend a little every time you drop a size. This might help you not to make any purchases that you regret, as deciding to buy a lot can mean you become less picky.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've thought about this lots too. I set a goal of 75 kilos (165 pounds. I'm 5'9") but it's clear now that I'm about 10 pounds away that I can and probably should go lower than that.

Originally I thought the same as you. My plan was to save up and treat myself to a personal shopper experience, since I've never really learned what I like to wear, having always been restricted to wearing what fits my body and my budget. I don't know how to dress myself. :)

Right now, I replace things one by one at charity shops. I only buy good quality things, since the price between a budget piece and a better quality one (Asda versus Monsoon for UK readers) isn't that huge when you're buying them second hand. I've never been able to really wear such nice clothes, so I'm already enjoying how different well-made pieces look. But the idea of splurging a few hundred at 75 kilos seems silly now.

So, instead, I'm going to wait until I've reached a weight that seems right and stayed there for a while. Get used to that. And then, absolutely, I will be rewarding myself with a small number of new items chosen to work together. And since I have way more choice at the second hand shop now, and will have even more then, I'll probably just carry on doing what I do now. :-)
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you've got the money, that sounds like a great plan! I wouldn't go all out crazy shopping, but you will definitely need and deserve some new clothes. Then see how you feel at 175 :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Don't waste money on clothes you will only wear for a few months. Heck I bought clothes when I was just 10 pounds away, thinking I was close enough and they would still fit after... Sure, they fit, but they don't look good.
  • Greenwaterwhitesand
    Greenwaterwhitesand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would wait. 175 is very heavy at 5'7" and so you won't be much smaller when you get to that weight. I'd say wait til you hit 150 to go shopping or once you break 150, that way you're at or right next to your goal weight
  • Greenwaterwhitesand
    Greenwaterwhitesand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That said you have done amazing and should reward yourself when you get to goal 1. How about a nice spa day ?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance & still shop at GoodWill, Salvation Army, & other thrift stores because you never know what you might find.

Every now & then I'll splurge & buy a designer pair of jeans on eBay & usually pay around $40.00.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can actually get really nice pieces at Goodwill. I mostly shop there now and have found great shoes, purses, and clothes from really nice name brands.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Get a couple of key essentials. Everything else, cheap. Or wear dresses, they're easier to wear when you move down sizes.

OR organize a clothing swap with friends of different sizes.
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You will need to buy clothing as you go along. I would suggest that when you reach 175 that you buy a few dresses and skirts that are casual. They are much more forgiving as you go down a size or two. So are leggings. Very modern way of dressing. They also show off a great pair of legs. invest in shoes and boots.

Clothing sizes drop alarmingly fast as you drop under 175 pounds. You might be a size 10/12 (US) at 175 and a size 6 at 150.
    That was me :-). I am 5'9 and in 07 / 08 I lost 75 lbs from 227 to 152 started 18/20. At 175 I am 10/12. At 150 I am 4/6.

This time to deal with my 55 lbs regain I started at 207 and a size 16. I am a 12 at 182 (71 days later). And I am buying new clothes as I go. Some are pricey (thanks stitch fix). But most are marshals, burlington coat, ross, the rack, tj max, or target.

Ross is great for dresses but you have to dig through the racks. Two dresses in the last two weeks for $22 each. One was a cocktail party dress for a function. I wanted to look good for that event was worth $22. The other is for my step sons graduation. I will be damned if I am going to deal with DH ex looking frumpy so $22 is a steal. I try to pay attention to the stretch in pieces I am buying now and buy stretchy pieces one size smaller if I can so I can wear them longer.

For me having clothes that fix even for a few months is worth a little of money. A $22 dress is less than getting my nails done. I would rather do my nails at home and be able to show off my hard work :-). Do what works for you but if you can treat yourself along the way.
  • kallston89
    kallston89 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would treat myself to maybe 3-4 moderately priced outfits. $500 is an awful lot to spend on clothes of even the best quality. I agree that Target has a great selection and I've gotten some gems at my local GW stores as well. I understand wanting to go all out, but you may decide to lose more upon reaching your first goal.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i have bought clothes as I move into each new size. I don't go hog-wild, but try to buy a base of clothes -- pants, tops and a dress or two -- probably $200-300 but nowhere near $500/1000