Indian food is different

Options
exchanging notes with East Indians about eating right to reduce weight and getting better fitness...

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The only "eating right" we need be concerned with when losing weight is "eating less"

"right" is subjective and open to opinion/debate.

"less" is objective, quantifiable, and measurable.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    exchanging notes with East Indians about eating right to reduce weight and getting better fitness...

I'm not Indian, but I absolutely love Indian food. You just reminded me that I have not had any in a long time.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Huh?
  • _Prabh_Sandhu
    _Prabh_Sandhu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We are talking about food from India..
  • _Prabh_Sandhu
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm not Indian, but I absolutely love Indian food. You just reminded me that I have not had any in a long time.

Good
  • _Prabh_Sandhu
    Options
    The only "eating right" we need be concerned with when losing weight is "eating less"

"right" is subjective and open to opinion/debate.

"less" is objective, quantifiable, and measurable.

Less is also debatable, it depends upon your lifestyle hence the term right..
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Indian food...Yummm I got to have this on a treat day, but I would imagine I would have to work out extra. It's loaded with yummy calories. I can smell the spices now!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Indian food is easy to adapt to lower calorie and no different from any other cuisine

It's habit and tastes ...try to remove ghee and creams, reduce portion sizes of rice ...go for plain boiled rice rather than pilau or fried...take more veg curries, avoiding heavy sauces ...they can be cooked without oils and heavy creams (coconut milk and low cal yogurt), dhosas and chaphatis aren't awful in moderation...eat bhajis and samosas and other fried foods with care ...tikka spices on chicken breast, dhals can be adapted etc

You have a wonderful range of spices to work with you just need to adapt ...your issue is Indian hospitality and the strength of Indian chefs :smile:

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Google low calorie Indian recipes

Eg tarladalal.com/recipes-for-low-calorie-weight-loss-383
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

1. Develop long-term pneumonia during wedding season
    2. Tie pillow around waist under clothing in presence of aunties to disguise ongoing weight loss attempt
    3. Skip the naan, or make it your entire meal :(
    4. Cook with a tandoor or tandoori-style dishes
    5. If evening plans include dinner at my mother-in-law's, morning plans include running a marathon. :)

In other words--in my experience, the heaviness and quantity of Indian food is cultural as much as nutritional.
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ^^ :laugh:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

2. Tie pillow around waist under clothing in presence of aunties to disguise ongoing weight loss attempt
    5. If evening plans include dinner at my mother-in-law's, morning plans include running a marathon. :)

In other words--in my experience, the heaviness and quantity of Indian food is cultural as much as nutritional.

:laugh:

• jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We eat a lot of Indian food, all of it homemade and healthy. Some good recipes include mung bean dahl from www.thehealthychef.com and no-butter butter chicken recipe from bal arneson of the food network.

We don't normally have naan or roti - these can really pack on the calories. I usually make a large side of veggies, and no one misses it.

I also don't eat the desserts ever. I never really liked them, even with my sweet tooth. Plus, they are crazy high in calories.

When eating at parties, all I want is warm fluffy naan and butter chicken. So - that's all I have. I skip appetizers and dessert and other sides, and just have water so that my dinner doesn't go too over on calories.

Good luck!

Eta: spelling
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mmmm indian food. I'm planning on making butter, uh, beef tonight. Minus the butter... will be using coconut oil instead, I think. And minus the naan. And the rice. I loooooove Indian food, but paleo for now.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Indian food as my husband is Indian. Honestly, all I do is eat smaller portions. I eat the same foods but keep under my calorie goal. It's no different than eating Italian or British foods. And I do eat rice and naan and everything - I just work it in.
  • _Prabh_Sandhu
    Options
    jussy123 wrote: »
    We eat a lot of Indian food, all of it homemade and healthy. Some good recipes include mung bean dahl from www.thehealthychef.com and no-butter butter chicken recipe from bal arneson of the food network.

We don't normally have naan or roti - these can really pack on the calories. I usually make a large side of veggies, and no one misses it.

I also don't eat the desserts ever. I never really liked them, even with my sweet tooth. Plus, they are crazy high in calories.

When eating at parties, all I want is warm fluffy naan and butter chicken. So - that's all I have. I skip appetizers and dessert and other sides, and just have water so that my dinner doesn't go too over on calories.

Good luck!

Eta: spelling
    Good idea..
  • _Prabh_Sandhu
    Options
    Metruis wrote: »
    Mmmm indian food. I'm planning on making butter, uh, beef tonight. Minus the butter... will be using coconut oil instead, I think. And minus the naan. And the rice. I loooooove Indian food, but paleo for now.

Foodie right..
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

:laugh:

:D

Tandoori chicken is one of my favorite high-protein lower-calorie Indian dishes. There are also many lower-calorie dal recipes out there.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/user/RajshriFood/videos

This is my favorite channel. They do a mix of Indian and Western recipes. I've bookmarked quite a few that I want to try out! They also did a video on homemade garam masala.
  • lisi79
    lisi79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you watch the salt and added fats(oils..ghee). It's actually pretty healthy....... Make your own chappathi using higher fiber flours... Skip on Naan and sweets.