1760cals too low to lose weight?

luiscmartins
luiscmartins Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey there. First post here.

I have been working out and lifting weights for about 5 years with the intent of putting on weight. I had very good results since when I started I weighted 58Kg (128lbs) and I'm currently at 75Kg (165lbs). Since I am fairly young and never had the problem of putting on fat, I never really worried much about nutrition, so I ate pretty much everything I wanted in big quantities throughout the day just to make sure I had the right amount of food to grow. This philosophy worked good for my goal and I achieved very positive results.

However, my goals are now different, and for the first time during this journey, I decided to lose some weight, or "cut", as it is normally known, to lose the amount of fat that I have. I downloaded MyFitnessPal app because I think it will be helpful to track my calories. However, the app is telling me to go on a diet of 1760 calories to lose 0.5Kg (1lb) per week. Isn't this too low? I went to other different calculators and they estimate a diet of around 2300cals to lose the same amount of weight per week. Besides, MyFitnessPal doesn't seem to take into consideration the frequency and duration of my workouts for the calculation of the calories, even thou it asks for this information. Is the app to be trusted? Should I go this low on calories? My stats are below.

My stats are:
24 years old
75Kg
172cm (5'64ft) tall
13-15% body fat
4 or 5 intense weight-lifting workouts per week, about 90 to 120 minutes each.
Outside working out, my activity level is low, with a casual 1-2 hour walk every other day.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm a male!

Replies

• TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    If your a guy then yes min for guys is 1800 a day, girls a min of 1200
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    172 cm is not 5'6"... it's almost 5'8"
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    TNoire wrote: »

1800? where did you get that number from?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member

1800 is a pretty arbitrary number (pulled from a**?). You have to account for age, height, and normal activity level.

I don't work out regularly, so my estimated TDEE is < 2400. I'm right around 1550 and doing quite well.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    edited May 2015
    The way this calculator works with exercise is to consider it after the fact. That is, you put in the exercise you've done and it adds the calories burned to your total. So yesterday I walked for 71 minutes before breakfast and "earned" 266 calories beyond my daily goal of 1200 (sedentary old fart aiming for a pound a week) calories.

Try this: Create a diary for yesterday. Put in everything you ate and all the exercise you did. See what that calorie total looks like.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Yeah, no.
  • luiscmartins
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    The way this calculator works with exercise is to consider it after the fact. That is, you put in the exercise you've done and it adds the calories burned to your total. So yesterday I walked for 71 minutes before breakfast and "earned" 266 calories beyond my daily goal of 1200 (sedentary old fart aiming for a pound a week) calories.

Try this: Create a diary for yesterday. Put in everything you ate and all the exercise you did. See what that calorie total looks like.
    Yes, that makes sense! Thanks :)

172 cm is not 5'6"... it's almost 5'8"
    I'm pretty sure it is.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm 5'8 = 172.7cm

You're 5 foot 7 and 23/32 inches at 172cm :smiley:

1760 plus Eat back exercise will be the same as cut from TDEE
  • luiscmartins
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm 5'8 = 172.7cm

Funny, every online converter I use says 172cm = 5'64ft :o
  • Sued0nim
    I'm 5'8 = 172.7cm

Funny, every online converter I use says 172cm = 5'64ft :o

Yes but 0.64 of a foot = 7 and 23/32 inches because there are 12 inches in a foot and 12x0.64 = 7.68 = 7 and 23/32ths
  • Kst76
    edited May 2015
    Please link a converter that says 172 cm is 5 feet and 64 inches!

172 cm = 67.7165 Inches to be exact. lol
    67 inches = 171.999 cm
  • Kst76
    edited May 2015
    OP...
    Inches are a pain in the *kitten*. I am used to cm growing up in Sweden. It makes much more sense and easier to learn.
    5.64 is not the same as 5 feet 64 Inches. It just means 5.64 feet. You have to convert the inches to feet too.
    But be happy you are taller than 5'6".
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member

^^This^^ MFP does not count exercise calories until you add them back in by reporting exercise. TDEE includes your exercise calories in its calculation. If your exercise is consistent then go with TDEE minus 10% to 20% to lose weight. You can use custom settings to track using MFP.

• Sued0nim
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP...
    Inches are a pain in the *kitten*. I am used to cm growing up in Sweden. It makes much more sense and easier to learn.
    5.64 is not the same as 5 feet 64 Inches. It just means 5.64 feet. You have to convert the inches to feet too.

A pain for you. For those of us that grew up in the US inches are simple.

You wanna be British ...we get the joy of feet, inches for height, metres, centimetres and miles on the roads and in our cars

Oh and kilos in the gym as well as stones and pounds on the weighing scales and grammes and kg in food

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Inches suc
    OP...

Metric units make a lot more sense.

• Sued0nim
    minties82 wrote: »
    Inches suc
    OP...

Luckily for me that opinion doesn't matter.

LOL

'Merricans
  • kuriakos_chris
    kuriakos_chris Posts: 48 Member
    If you could count the calories you were eating while bulking, then every other day go -100 calories.
    You should be like 300-500 calories under your mainentance calories
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    minties82 wrote: »
    Inches suc
    OP...

Luckily for me that opinion doesn't matter.

LOL, Thanks for giving me my USDA recommended daily dose of laughter