Activity trackers

Options
im looking for a reasonably price fitness tracker. So far I'm stuck between the Jawbone UP or the Misfit Flash. Help?!

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use a cell phone app. If you've got a smart phone, and keep it in your pocket most of the day, it works well. Regular old-school pedometers are very cheap, too.

'Course, if you're looking for one of the newfangled thingers . . . my wife has a Fitbit Flex, and likes it a lot. I don't know if that's in the 'reasonably priced' category, though. I know there are cheaper Fitbits that you can clip onto your belt or put into your pocket. (I do really like the Fitbit site and account)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    im looking for a reasonably price fitness tracker. So far I'm stuck between the Jawbone UP or the Misfit Flash. Help?!

I had a Jawbone UP24. Their customer service is horrible.

I've never heard off the Misfit Flash. Does it sync with MFP? Fitbits do. You can learn more in the Fitbit group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • 1triciakae
    1triciakae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had the jawbone up24 and I broke out in a rash on the underside of my wrist. The buttons appear to be made of some type of metal. If you google it there are a lot of people that have had similar problems. Then mine broke after having it for 3 months.
    I now have a fitbit charge. It is a little pricier but I absolutely love it.
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options

What is it that you're looking for in a fitness tracker? What do you need it to track?

Different fitness trackers specialize in tracking different points of data. Narrowing down what's most important to you, including how it's worn and how the data is presented, is important in deciding which tracker you pick.

It had taken me a while, but I finally decided on the Polar A300 as it fulfills my particular needs. You mentioned "reasonably priced," so that is a consideration as well when deciding on trackers.

I know that between the Jawbone Up & the Misfit Flash, you can find Ups prior to Up 3 on sale, and the Flash goes for about $50. If you're looking to go swimming, the Flash is water proof, the Up isn't (none of them are). Also, the Up requires recharging, whereas the Flash has a battery...so it doesn't need to be recharged at all. Plus, the Flash has a dot display that doubles as a watch display, while the Up communicates through either an app or vibration. In addition, the Flash can be worn on your: wrist, shoe, piece of clothing, etc.; while the Up is meant to be worn on your wrist only.

Again, it depends on what you're looking for in fitness trackers. If you need anything more, just give a holler. ;)

89019335.png
    (Quote from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.)
  • bethanyplummerxo
    bethanyplummerxo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cronniss wrote: »

What is it that you're looking for in a fitness tracker? What do you need it to track?

Different fitness trackers specialize in tracking different points of data. Narrowing down what's most important to you, including how it's worn and how the data is presented, is important in deciding which tracker you pick.

It had taken me a while, but I finally decided on the Polar A300 as it fulfills my particular needs. You mentioned "reasonably priced," so that is a consideration as well when deciding on trackers.

I know that between the Jawbone Up & the Misfit Flash, you can find Ups prior to Up 3 on sale, and the Flash goes for about $50. If you're looking to go swimming, the Flash is water proof, the Up isn't (none of them are). Also, the Up requires recharging, whereas the Flash has a battery...so it doesn't need to be recharged at all. Plus, the Flash has a dot display that doubles as a watch display, while the Up communicates through either an app or vibration. In addition, the Flash can be worn on your: wrist, shoe, piece of clothing, etc.; while the Up is meant to be worn on your wrist only.

Again, it depends on what you're looking for in fitness trackers. If you need anything more, just give a holler. ;)

89019335.png

I'm mostly just looking to track fitness and to make sure I'm getting the most out of my gym routine. Flash definitely sounds like it would be better for that kind of thing.
    I looked at some Polars and I prefer the job they do but I don't want something that chunky! I'd like to wear it all the time.

• JamesScapes
    JamesScapes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For tracking mileage, pace and time running or biking, Strava is a great free app that is available for iPhone or Android. I use that in conjunction with Fitocracy for keeping a total record of my entire exercise regimen all together.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

89019335.png

I'm mostly just looking to track fitness and to make sure I'm getting the most out of my gym routine. Flash definitely sounds like it would be better for that kind of thing.
    I looked at some Polars and I prefer the job they do but I don't want something that chunky! I'd like to wear it all the time.

So "chunky" is more of a discriminator than best suited to your activities?

As for activities, exactly what do you do? It matters when deciding on an activity tracker. Some only count steps and are useless for anything else. Certain ones are better suited to cycling and/or swimming than others. None are accurate for lifting.
  • Vinwah26
    Vinwah26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I have the Garmin Vivofit.
    It cost around $80aud but it is the baseline product of the fitness tracking bands.
    It is water resistant upto 50m apparently not game to try and test it's limits however in the shower is fine.
    You can get band packs to change the colours blue purple teal black grey red. You get a large and a small band in the box. A bluetooth USB connector for computers.
    It measures steps calories burnt distance goals time date and HR if you get the HRM strap which is sold in a bundle pack or separate.

I recommend getting a more advanced one if you want other features.
    This doesn't have backlit display so you need a light on to see it. No alarm or vibrations.
    It has a red line indicator if you a stationary for 1hr and every 15 min after this a red dot apears untill you move again.

I'm happy with my purchase i even bought one for the Missus too.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I just received my Garmin Vivofit 2 with HRM yesterday for $130. So far I like it a lot. It Syncs automatically now after the update that was done when I first programmed it. It goes into sleep mode automatically too if I forget to press the button at night. The Vivofit 2 does have a backlight to see the display in the dark. It also has a lock on the band to hold it securely in place. I love that it is water proof and has a one year battery life because I never have to remove it like I did with my Fitbit. I got the black one, but the band can be changed with a different color. I used the HRS strap on my run yesterday and it matched what my Polar FT 7 listed as my calorie burn.
  • bethanyplummerxo
    bethanyplummerxo Posts: 10 Member
    Options

89019335.png

As for activities, exactly what do you do? It matters when deciding on an activity tracker. Some only count steps and are useless for anything else. Certain ones are better suited to cycling and/or swimming than others. None are accurate for lifting.

I don't expect any to be accurate for lifting, so I probably wouldn't take it to the gym. I mostly jog and cycle.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

89019335.png

I don't expect any to be accurate for lifting, so I probably wouldn't take it to the gym. I mostly jog and cycle.

For accuracy on a bike (outdoor) you'll need something with GPS for distance and possibly HR integration ... step based trackers simply aren't designed for that activity. If you're cycling indoors Wahoo makes a cadence tracker that you can hook to your shoe and it then communicates with their app on a phone ... higher end indoor cycles provide power data which provides more accurate caloric data than cadence/HR.

For running, GPS works best for outdoor tracking. Some devices have the capability to calibrate their readings to distances run on a treadmill for better accuracy from indoor sessions.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into a bunch of them and i've settled on the Garmin vivosmart (mostly for aesthetic reasons).
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

89019335.png

You could go the fitness tracker route like the jawbone or fitbit route which you could wear 24/7 or the HRM route where you would wear it while your doing your cardio activity. I think the HRM would be more accurate than a fitness tracker for cycling. Your hands wouldn't be moving on the bike so I don't think the fitness band would pick it up.

FWIW- I had a polar ft4 for a long time and I never noticed the chest strap under the clothes I was wearing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

89019335.png

You could go the fitness tracker route like the jawbone or fitbit route which you could wear 24/7 or the HRM route where you would wear it while your doing your cardio activity. I think the HRM would be more accurate than a fitness tracker for cycling. Your hands wouldn't be moving on the bike so I don't think the fitness band would pick it up.

atleast for the garmin vivofit and vivosmart they have a seperate chest strap that can be worn that automatically connects with your bands.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

89019335.png

FWIW- I had a polar ft4 for a long time and I never noticed the chest strap under the clothes I was wearing.

Even if the tracker detected the movement ... cycling is not taking steps so the data is incorrect. It comes down to picking the right device for the right activity. Step trackers track steps ... and not all steps are created equal ... running nets about twice as many calories per mile as walking.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

Yes, you need to decide if you want an activity tracker (which you wear 24/7 to calculate your TDEE) or a heart rate monitor (HRM) which is only for steady cardio (like biking or jogging).

Activity trackers like Fitbit track step-based activity. Non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) needs to be logged either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

Only the Fitbit Surge (the most expensive model) can track biking: https://blog.fitbit.com/bike-tracking-now-available-on-fitbit-surge/
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 15. Steps, GPS, HR,sleep, distance.......watch...... waterproof.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivo Smart

I like being able to read text messages and see who is calling me while I am working out to determine if I need to reply or let it wait
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    And the confirmation bias of MFP continues with the typical "I have a (insert device here) and love it" type posts.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    you can get the H7 from polar and use it with the app Digifit or you get the A300 which is waterproof if you want to go swimming..it let you know if ur sitting to long and it tracks your sleep. The only downsize is the strap but it's easy to get use to.