How would you like to be told you are FAT? Overweight!!?, OBESE?, Anorexic?

Options
111grace
111grace Posts: 382 Member
Write down ways that you would like to be told to do something about your weight? (or what ever your issue is! Alcoholic, disgusting smoker/murderer killing others by secondary smoking, drugs) What would make you listen? so you can get it through your head and make a change, what would it take? and what did it take to get you started?

Most of us know we got so busy on other things we did not notice, or noticed and was not important enough, or something else was worse (pain/suffering), stress, false comfort, or what ever that got us to such a bad place of poor health!! Unhealthy zone weight!! Being overweight is like being slowly being lead to ones own self destruction.

- Would you like tough love?
1 you are wider than me?
2. double chin?
3. from the back you have an *kitten* and then another *kitten* below that, sank to another level?
- Laughed at?
4. yo Mama jokes? child telling you other kids told him, yo mama jokes?
5. how do I look in this dress, ugly?
6. throw a fat party / intervention, and everyone scream (0) you are fat instead of surprise?
7. You looking gross & stupid!! hiding in a fat dress, do you think people still cannot tell you are fat? dumbass?
8.Be told by Your Mother.
9. Be told by friends, significant other, how must they tell you?
10. Like you are wearing stupid on your sleeve? your arms are wings flapping?
11. Be told by Strangers, stopping you in the street & saying, Jesus said I must tell you you are fat do something about it?
12. You have disgusting breath ( smokers, ketoers etc) whatever is the way you would like to have been told?

13. For me being busy, company, lets go walking together, being more active, adventurous, family keeping busy great company. since family turned out to be the problem, & the solution, this turned into a double edged sword!!, Until I decided to do it for myself, Love myself, stand up for myself & not let others crap on my space, speak up immediately.
Focusing on myself, learning to love myself first in positive & happy ways. Letting go of the excuses & doing for myself & by myself.
14. And know that all have sinned against themselves, when they sin against others, & keep quite is also a sin, because people think thats okay to treat you that way, they get away with it. Learning to put a stop to ugly behavior or walking away. Letting go of the world. Sometimes people are just mirrors to what needed to change within yourself.

15. Waiting for Karma to get them.
16. Because you hear hear here lots of people hated to be insulted, what would it have taken, for you to make a change & have gotten it sooner?

17. Me, it would have better to have a job outside the house, would have kept me busy & engaged, & not pain focused. and small changes add up, like 2 minutes of exercise done everyday is and are better than 1 hour once a year.
18. Knowledge is power, educating yourself. Better now than never. Question is prayer a solution? Does God help those who help themselves? Is God part of the solution or part of the problem?

Hope this debate turns out interesting and engaging, its not intended to put down anybody, but to help us heal, and in healing ourself we blaze a trail for others. Leaving a better History behind and being a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem.

Its been a long road for me with much to still learn. The hardest for me was getting my heart and mind to work together & in the game, rather than be a spectator, ( watching movies ( a happy place & eating junk) & escaping the cruelties of this world, but letting the joys of experiencing life escape me, which is the same as being stuck, being stagnant, or was it just a long overdue time of rest & reflection?)

Focusing on the positive: Now a new season, a new healthy body, eating healthy, making activity fun always, and producing art to add value to myself and God's Kingdom,

and not the negative!! : letting go, because we leave everything behind & all life turns too dust.

Have a wonderful day :) Grace {{ :) }}

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I never needed to be told. I was fully aware of it already and openly acknowledged it. What did finally help me though was friends who didn't just say "but it's okay because you are active." Instead they said ,"we know this is a struggle for you but we know you can do this when you are ready." They didn't buy into the many excuses about slow metabolism and I must have a medical condition that makes me not loose weight even though I am very active and eating healthy. I am really lucky to have those kinds of friends.
  • Shan0Marie
    Shan0Marie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My family (especially my rail thin mother in law) love to mention my weight casually. "Wouldn't you FEEL BETTER if you lost a little?"
    No. No I wouldn't. I'll feel better when you shuty so I can enjoy my pizza. K thanks.

It wasn't until I went to the Dr and he told me I have high blood pressure (scary hypertension) and arthritis at the ripe age of 26 and I needed to lose 50lbs to see if that would straighten me out or if something else is going on. It wasn't a question, it was a diagnoses. I am obese. It's causing health problems.

That's when I decided I needed to change.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I visited a high school friend in the hospital after he had a weight related heart attack

There is no nice way to say lose weight or die.

I think we know our own body shape. Being offended by the stating of the obvious is a prime opportunity to change the obvious into what we want

You are the boss of you

Take charge

Do it like a boss !!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    While negative comments regarding my weight and habits don't usually bother me they don't do anything to motivate me either. What I need to be told to make a change is "nothing". You can insult/encourage/nag until you're blue in the face, but unless I decide I want to change something nothing is going to change.

Being told I'm fat would result in a "no *kitten*!" reply from me. I'm not blind you know. Being told I'm fat with some rude wording would result in a shrug; your anger management issues do not affect me. Being asked to join for a walk would result in a "nah" if I didn't feel up to it. Personally, I'm very hard to insult or motivate externally. I believe a genuine talk with convincing facts (not to be confused with nagging) may nudge me into thinking about it, but ultimately it's up to me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    y05sp41.jpg
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just possibly the most negative and passive-aggressive post in the history of MFP.

wow.
  • Reevoslady
    Reevoslady Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd like for people to mind their own business. I'm capable of independent thought, and don't need their input ;)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I think I understand the intent of the question.

But I agree with the others. I knew I was fat. No one needed to tell me.

Mrs Jruzer would sometimes lovingly coax me about my health and remind me that she wanted me to be around for a long time. That was helpful. But I didn't make a change, a real change, until I was ready.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've been fat much of my life. I know lots of people consider the word "fat" an insult. Me, I figure "fat" and "obese" mean the same thing. "Fat" is just shorter. More direct.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My friends and family never told me I was fat, or insulted me. That would have been rude and unnecessary. I knew I was fat. I'd always known that. I had to wait until I knew I could do it and felt confident and motivated enough. You know what would have stopped that ever happening? Being insulted like that. If anyone had said any of those things to me I'd still be scoffing chocolate in a corner feeling sorry for myself.

What did it take to make me listen? To make me do something about it? Realising I could.
  • 111grace
    Options
    It was such a hard struggle for me, and so many years of yo yo dieting, failing, beating myself up for my poor self control & weak will power, and yet still kept getting fatter & fatter, until I reached my obese zone, it was so many years of not being able to understand & put a plan together that worked.

I did not have an ah-ha moment, it always felt like I was driving on the wrong side of the road, from last year, to this year is where I feel like I am driving on the right side of the road.

Like just tracking calories on Mfp was such an eye opener, I never knew a small pkt of choc-nuts had 500 calories in it, & how quickly you can drink 500 calories!

I think for me it just was a blessing to find Mfp, calorie tracking.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    y05sp41.jpg

WTF is this

I'm actually sitting here with my jaw hanging open. I somehow stepped into bizarre-o world.
    ???????
  • 111grace
    Options
    For those who are being a little obtuse, this post is trying to draw lots of ways to start making a change, sooner rather than later, why waste all the time I wasted, when just saying or receiving the right words would have made the world of difference.

I think lots of people have been on the receiving end of insults even me but the true change for me did not occur then.

Heres hoping some wonderful ways & creative ways can emerge to help someone else get it sooner rather than later.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    Write down ways that you would like to be told to do something about your weight? (or what ever your issue is! Alcoholic, disgusting smoker/murderer killing others by secondary smoking, drugs) What would make you listen? so you can get it through your head and make a change, what would it take? and what did it take to get you started?

Most of us know we got so busy on other things we did not notice, or noticed and was not important enough, or something else was worse (pain/suffering), stress, false comfort, or what ever that got us to such a bad place of poor health!! Unhealthy zone weight!! Being overweight is like being slowly being lead to ones own self destruction.

- Would you like tough love?
    1 you are wider than me?
    2. double chin?
    3. from the back you have an *kitten* and then another *kitten* below that, sank to another level?
    - Laughed at?
    4. yo Mama jokes? child telling you other kids told him, yo mama jokes?
    5. how do I look in this dress, ugly?
    6. throw a fat party / intervention, and everyone scream (0) you are fat instead of surprise?
    7. You looking gross & stupid!! hiding in a fat dress, do you think people still cannot tell you are fat? dumbass?
    8.Be told by Your Mother.
    9. Be told by friends, significant other, how must they tell you?
    10. Like you are wearing stupid on your sleeve? your arms are wings flapping?
    11. Be told by Strangers, stopping you in the street & saying, Jesus said I must tell you you are fat do something about it?
    12. You have disgusting breath ( smokers, ketoers etc) whatever is the way you would like to have been told?

13. For me being busy, company, lets go walking together, being more active, adventurous, family keeping busy great company. since family turned out to be the problem, & the solution, this turned into a double edged sword!!, Until I decided to do it for myself, Love myself, stand up for myself & not let others crap on my space, speak up immediately.
    Focusing on myself, learning to love myself first in positive & happy ways. Letting go of the excuses & doing for myself & by myself.
    14. And know that all have sinned against themselves, when they sin against others, & keep quite is also a sin, because people think thats okay to treat you that way, they get away with it. Learning to put a stop to ugly behavior or walking away. Letting go of the world. Sometimes people are just mirrors to what needed to change within yourself.

15. Waiting for Karma to get them.
    16. Because you hear hear here lots of people hated to be insulted, what would it have taken, for you to make a change & have gotten it sooner?

17. Me, it would have better to have a job outside the house, would have kept me busy & engaged, & not pain focused. and small changes add up, like 2 minutes of exercise done everyday is and are better than 1 hour once a year.
    18. Knowledge is power, educating yourself. Better now than never. Question is prayer a solution? Does God help those who help themselves? Is God part of the solution or part of the problem?

Hope this debate turns out interesting and engaging, its not intended to put down anybody, but to help us heal, and in healing ourself we blaze a trail for others. Leaving a better History behind and being a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem.

Its been a long road for me with much to still learn. The hardest for me was getting my heart and mind to work together & in the game, rather than be a spectator, ( watching movies ( a happy place & eating junk) & escaping the cruelties of this world, but letting the joys of experiencing life escape me, which is the same as being stuck, being stagnant, or was it just a long overdue time of rest & reflection?)

Focusing on the positive: Now a new season, a new healthy body, eating healthy, making activity fun always, and producing art to add value to myself and God's Kingdom,

and not the negative!! : letting go, because we leave everything behind & all life turns too dust.

Have a wonderful day :) Grace {{ :) }}

Huh?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The what now?! :huh: :noway:

Is this about being fat or smoking, OP seems to have a bit of a thing for smokers...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    709565.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    TLDR

:noway:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have plenty of reasons to lose weight, mostly due to my own comfort. I still haven't decided that I "need" to lose. I'm doing it because I stumbled across mfp by accident and found it to be easy. (I didn't get heavy by being super motivated, so it makes sense.)