I'm so hungry!!!!!!!!!

Options
Day 6 of using MFP and staying under my 1.5lb goal calorie intake...
And I am so so so hungry! :(
I really need help, filling foods that are good for me, ways to defeat the hunger, any bit of advice.
I'm so determined to do this, but this hunger is too much!

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Proteins and fats. They will help satiate you when you feel hungry. Or aim for 1lb a week loss instead and up your calories so you don't feel like eating your leg all the time. :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What are your stats (height, weight, etc)?
    do you exercise?
    do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to learn to keep going through hunger and wait for meal-time. I wouldn't be 68 pounds overweight if I knew how to feed myself properly. I'd advise that you change your goal to losing 1 pound per week. That will give you a few more calories. If your activity level is set to sedentary, then eat at least half of your exercise calories back.
  • Shan0Marie
    Shan0Marie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Proteins and fats. They will help satiate you when you feel hungry. Or aim for 1lb a week loss instead and up your calories so you don't feel like eating your leg all the time. :)

*stares at leg for uncomfortable amount of time* mmmmmmmmmm...
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Oh, and raw vegetables pump up meal satiety without adding very many calories.
  • meggrose1985
    meggrose1985 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, try setting your goal to 1lb for a bit, while you ease into it. I was the same way - I felt like I was starving to death, and was extremely uncomfortable for probably the first week and a half when I started out. After that initial adjustment, my body realized we were actually eating, and it got a lot easier.
  • Shan0Marie
    Shan0Marie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    do you exercise?

5'9, 244 eating 1400-1600 daily.
    I don't eat back wo calories, mainly because with the arthritis in my knee and chest (yes, I have arthritis in the joint that connects the ribs to the chest and goodness me don't ever get it) I'm only able to burn about 300 calories per gym trip before my knee is twice the size. (Dr is hoping weight loss will help ease this)
    I never go below 1200 daily WO/food combined
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Add in more vegetables to every meal. They are very low in calories plus the fibre has the added benefit of leaving you feeling fuller for longer. If you eat more raw vegetables all that time you spend chewing will also help you to feel more satisfied at the end of every meal. Are you having a glass of water before as well as during every meal - helps you to eat slower with related benefits.
  • 80mj80
    80mj80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

Eat like the thin, healthy person you want to become :) It's a lifestyle change, not a diet, and you won't feel hungry if you give your body what it needs.

I HIGHLY recommend the Fat 2 Fit Radio podcast!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You've made some really high calorie, high fat choices the last two days, I'm not surprised that you're hungry! To maintain the deficit required for a 1.5 lb per week loss, you're going to have to incorporate some lower calorie, higher volume choices every day. You can still eat the other stuff, but less of it.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Try to replace some of your refined carbs with vegetables. While pizza and pasta are perfectly fine to eat, and can help keep you on your diet, they won't fill you up as much as a bowl of veggies or fruit due to fiber content.

I would increase your protein goal to about 175g per day, a little more or a little less is ok. Protein has a satiating affect, so make sure you eat lots of it.
  • drivenbonkers
    drivenbonkers Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Day 6 of using MFP and staying under my 1.5lb goal calorie intake...
    And I am so so so hungry! :(
    I really need help, filling foods that are good for me, ways to defeat the hunger, any bit of advice.
    I'm so determined to do this, but this hunger is too much!

I keep a container of diced onions, celery and peppers in the fridge. A cup of this mix is about 50 calories.

The veggie mix is handy and versatile. Stir fried with an egg or two can be any meal. Add a half cup of canned mixed beans and a bit of greek dressing to a couple of cups of the mix and it's large bean salad for another meal. Stir fried with chicken or some turkey it's dinner.

A couple of cups of mix is really a lot of good eating. A bit of shredded carrot or cabbage doesn't add many calories, but fills up a plate/bowl and is really tasty!
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Join the low carb group. Up your fat. You are young and need it. Carbs you dont need.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If I read any more advice about eating more veggies, I am going to .....well anyway. You need to reduce your carbs to at least 100 and up your fat intake. Also, fight the urge to snack. Sit and feel if you are really hungry. If not, dont eat. Do something else. Trying to make yourself full by stuffing your stomach with veggies is the wrong idea. Your brain needs to get the message that you are satiated. No eating every hour because your stomach is empty.

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I think what everyone else said....more protein, lots of veggies. You an eat a boat-load of food in steamed veggies. I like steamed squash w/a li'l bit of low-sodium salt & spray olive oil-butter. I can put away 2 small squash (about 12oz raw weight) and be very full. I also like Costco Tilapia. Its super high in protein while not adding alot of calories. There is nothing wrong with a snack in-between meals if you allow for them in your daily budget. When you reach for a snack, the higher protein will take the edge off faster than anything else. I like hard-boiled egg whites & mustard. Weird combo but doesn't taste bad. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    do you exercise?

5'9, 244 eating 1400-1600 daily.
    I don't eat back wo calories, mainly because with the arthritis in my knee and chest (yes, I have arthritis in the joint that connects the ribs to the chest and goodness me don't ever get it) I'm only able to burn about 300 calories per gym trip before my knee is twice the size. (Dr is hoping weight loss will help ease this)
    I never go below 1200 daily WO/food combined

That seems a little low to me. I am (currently) 5'7", 202 lb. and I am eating 1750 calories before exercise. I also have been averaging just under 1.5 lb. a week over the last 17 months. I agree, add in more protein and fat instead of carbs and see where that takes you.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to experiment a bit as different things suit different people, you are after choosing foods which , fill you up, provide nutrition, provide enough energy, you like.

Hunger is a bit boring and for a lifestyle change or even diet, its going to be one of the things that causes you to quit or binge. Keep looking at your food diary and educating yourself on how many calories things cost and what you get for them. Vegetables are good bulk items that give you volume and nutrution, oats are another one other favour high fiber. For the moment its more importnat you find foods you cna live with rather than immediately worry about 1.5lb a week. o for 1ln as suggested or even 0.5lb until you have soemthing you can sustain. If you exercise more the you cna gain some eatback calories, but its principally about fitness.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Join the low carb group. Up your fat. You are young and need it. Carbs you dont need.

What does this have to do with OPs question? She's also getting a healthy level of dietary fat, more fat is not going to do anything for her health just because shes young.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    How did you arrive to that calorie goal? Perhaps your calorie goal is too aggressive?

Also, I agree with the others. More raw or steamed veggies and protein. Your calorie goal is like a budget. Spend wisely.

Also try some protein fluff. It's low in calories and high in protein and volume. You can make many different flavors.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about upping your protein and sticking with carbs that are higher in fiber. I also looked to see higher calorie food I could "sub out" with lower calorie equivalents, such as liquid stevia in my coffee instead of suger or unsweetened almond milk for 2% milk or low calorie/low carb salad dressings. You get used to the taste after a while (honestly, when I get hungry, I could eat cardboard and think it tastes good) and it frees up calories to go towards more food. I found I lost weight both by sticking only to meals and also with snacking-usually a mid afternoon and an evening snack. I was a much more pleasant person to be around when I ate when I was hungry and keeping my meals lower in calories to allow for "healthy" snacking. Also, try drinking a cup of hot herbal tea (no caffeine as it can increase hunger). Hot liquids fill your belly a bit. Keeping busy helps, too. Good luck!