HEALTHY dinners, 5 or less ingredients?

Options
Improvised
Improvised Posts: 925 Member
Hi, does anyone have any healthy dinner recipes, with 5 or less ingredients? Going to have a baby soon, and would like to get some fast and easy recipes to make on the days I don't have much energy. Thanks!

Replies

• kellybstampin
    Options
    I use Once A Month Mom and make freezer meals. Some have very few ingredients. I love the recipes b/c she does ALL the work for you of planning -- you can print grocery lists, recipes, directions, and even freezer labels! The food is GOOD. And most of it I just have to thaw in the fridge & reheat in the microwave. Some dinners can go directly from the freezer to the oven and be ready in 2 hours. (I use the "diet" menus....) Just go to www.onceamonthmom.com GOOD LUCK!
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light 5 ingredients or less! LOVE it and "Fix-it and Forget-it 5 ingredient favorites" (slow cooker) LOVE it!! Perfect for pregnancy and saved me during the first 6 months!
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    OH! I like the sound of that! Thanks for sharing!
  • sandrabutterfly
    Options
    Veggie Faijtas

1 Pepper
    8-10 button mushrooms
    1 onion
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp chili powder
    Whole wheat tortillas
    Serves about 4

Saute the onions in the olive oil and then add the mushrooms untill they are soft.
    Then add the chili powder (and I add chili flakes for heat) and then the peppers.
    Cook until the peppers are soft but crisp.

Warm up the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds.

I serve this with canned corn, guacamole, cheddar cheese and fresh tomatoes
    You can also add chicken, steak, or canned beans
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I use Once A Month Mom and make freezer meals. Some have very few ingredients. I love the recipes b/c she does ALL the work for you of planning -- you can print grocery lists, recipes, directions, and even freezer labels! The food is GOOD. And most of it I just have to thaw in the fridge & reheat in the microwave. Some dinners can go directly from the freezer to the oven and be ready in 2 hours. (I use the "diet" menus....) Just go to www.onceamonthmom.com GOOD LUCK!

Awesome! Can't wait to check it out!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    My favorite dinner/lunch is five ingredients or less:

One chicken breast
    1 oz. goat cheese
    A handful of grape tomatoes - sliced up
    Either polenta or couscous

Cook the chicken breast and serve atop the goat cheese & tomatoes - tastes crazy decadent, but the goat cheese is only 70 calories.

Cook the polenta or couscous in broth and serve on the side. To make it healthier you can add a side of fruit. Another bonus to this meal is it takes less than 15 minutes to make!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    canned black beans
    canned kidney beans
    canned corn
    canned stewed/diced tomatoes
    chopped onion

Throw it all in a pot and heat on the stove top.

You can add browned ground beef, but it's very good without also
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Salads, Soup, Panini (or grilled cheese and any meat you'd like to add), crockpot meal (your meat and any number of veggies), and don't forget, cook something on weekends and freeze it for easy microwaving. There are also smart ones meals for when you have no time.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Check out 400caloriesorless.com. I just made this dish for dinner yesterday and frozen the rest so I have enough for the whole week! http://400caloriesorless.com/?p=769
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Brush the bottom of a pyrex or baking pan with olive oil. Place a bunch of chicken breast tenders in a single layer in the pan. Add salt, pepper, or desired seasonings and finish off with the juice of one lemon. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes and serve with a side salad and steamed veggies (and rice or pasta if so desired). This is our go-to meal for busy weeknights. We may sub in turkey, grilled turkey burgers, lean beef cuts, lean pork chops, etc.

Cook a small pork roast in your crock pot with a cup or so of water or chicken broth (high for at least 4 hours, low for around 8 hours). Add some bbq sauce and serve on a sandwich thin with a lowfat coleslaw, or leave it plain and make a yummy salad, or spice it up with salsa, lime, etc. for tacos or a taco salad.

Lentil Soup can be easy and generally uses some onion, carrot, and maybe tomato. There are some good recipes on allrecipes.com

Stuff a pita with deli roast beef, red onion, tomato some tzatsiki (greek yogurt, grated cucumber and garlic), top with low-fat feta for a lightened up version of gyros.

Saute sliced turkey sausage (italian style is good) in some olive oil, add onions and peppers and a little chicken broth and serve over pasta or rice, if desired. Great with a dash of red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Mini Meatloafs
    1 pound lean Burger
    1 box stove top (I use reduced sodium)
    2 egg whites
    1 cup water

Mix together. Spray muffin pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350.

Makes 12 muffins.
  • nuimproved
    nuimproved Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great ideas. BUMP!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    veggies like mushroom, spinach, onion, tomato and/or peppers
    rice
    beans ( I like black beans, but whatever you like, you could also use chicken or tofu)
    president's choice thai yellow curry sauce

gonna keep checking this thread for more ideas! my daughter wants to make the mini meatloaf tomorrow!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Get a rice cooker, it will save you so much time! 20 minutes or so to prepare the rice and all you do is pour the rice in and cover with water, turn the cooker on. I like to brown some ground turkey then mix it with ketchup, oregano, thyme, cumin, pepper, onion & garlic powders, then eat it with a veggie & rice. Sloppy joes but healthier! It's what I'm having for dinner.
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Great ideas
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Another quick & healthy dinner is turkey-green bean stir fry.

93% Lean Ground Turkey
    Fresh Green Beans - trimmed & washed & diced
    Braggs or Soy Sauce
    Other spices - garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes if desired

Brown the ground turkey with the spices. Mix in the braggs or soy sauce to taste. Stir in green beans and cover to steam for about 5 minutes or until tender crisp. Serve with steamed rice.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    fish in paper: on a big piece of parchment paper put a pile of veggies (I love asparagus but broccoli and greenbeans etc work) sprinkle with salt and pepper, lay a piece of fish on top like salmon or tilapia, top with a light italian dressing, dijon mustard or herb cream cheese, wrap paper into a packet and staple shut and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. takes less effort than making a sandwich and clean up is a snap (especially if you eat right out of the paper like I do there are no dishes)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Tacos -- scrambled eggs, turkey bacon or sausage, cheese, soft taco shells, salsa :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I love this topic! Thanks!
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    chicken breast, feta, fresh baby spinach, minced garlic.

slice chicken breasts open like a book (don't cut all the way through)
    chop spinach and mix it in a bowl with feta and minced garlic
    stuff chicken breast with mix
    tie up with cooking string
    bake until done!

if you are feeling adventurous, you can glaze the outside of the breasts with olive oil, paprika and cayenne pepper (to taste) prior to baking.