How to actually lose weight when you can't afford a gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Gym is abdolutely, 100%, positively UNNECESSARY for weight loss.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the gym in the nearly a year since I started using MFP, and I've lost 70 pounds so far.

When I first started, I (of necessity) walked the 1/3 mile (each way) from the nearest transit stop to the office where I work. Now, I choose a farther stop, and walk a bit over a mile from that stop to the office where I work, though I still use the closer stop at night.

I also walk at lunch (about a mile), sometimes. I am able to eat at my desk while I work, and my lunch break isn't long enough to be actually productive at anything else, so I get out of the office and walk. Your opportunities and mileage may vary.

I have done the occasional weights workout at home; for that, I recommend investing in the occasional session with a personal trainer to make certain your form is on target.

And as others have said, YouTube, DVDs, just dance to the radio, WiiFit Dance, etc. There are a ton of options.

Another possibility - if it works for you! - is to build accountability/rewards with a friend. My friend wants to walk every evening, but needs an incentive to push through to doing so. We have a deal. If she walks for a cumulative 15 minutes a day, she reports having done so to me. When she has done so 10 times, I buy a $5 starbucks card for her. That sort of arrangement may work for you; it may not.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I lost around 12lb before i joined a gym.
    I would walk before work and on lunchbreaks. Occasionally walk home from work (5mi) all in conjunction with a calorie deficit.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've lost more than 90 pounds and I have never set foot in the gym during my weight loss. I also have chronic issues so exercise in general is not a regular thing. It can be done, trust me. When I can exercise I mostly walk or run, do some bodyweight exercises, lots of youtube, Wii games, fitnessblender, some darebee.com, hasfit.com, free dailyburn workout plans and so on and so forth. Lots of free exercise options.
  • JahanLindy
    JahanLindy Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You can get some of the really applicable tips in My Blog. I focused how u can be fit even in your job place. As all of us r busy these days, this can be a great help. enjoy!
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The good thing is you don't need a gym, or to work out at all. The only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

But since working out is still a great thing, you can walk or run around the neighborhood or a local park, buy some DVDs, watch some YouTube videos, or download some apps on your phone to find the best workout for you.

YUP! I lost 80 lbs. without ever lifting a weight or running a step. Just netted 1200/day. But you should net what MFP tells you to. I just happen to be short and female so the 1200 is good. But if I work out for an hour a day, that means I eat 1700 total. I just hopped on my bike once or twice a week and rode a few miles. Nothin' to it!

Luckily, this time around, I found a gym that charges just $20/mo. for both me and my bf. It's super close, too. But guess what I do there? RIDE THE BIKE! haha ;p

• eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of things that you can do without joining a gym -- although a gym membership might be cheaper than you think (mine is $25 per month. You can certainly lose weight without exercise, but exercise -- cardio and strength training -- will help to tighten everything as you go. That's my $0.02.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to get to a gym at this time in my life, but I'm so tired of being over weight and unhealthy, what're some at home exercises that would help me get into shape?

I've never stepped foot inside a gym and I've been maintaining an almost 60lbs loss for 2 years now, as well as have greatly improved my health in the process.

Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Simple as that.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    sk1nnyf0rm3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to get to a gym at this time in my life, but I'm so tired of being over weight and unhealthy, what're some at home exercises that would help me get into shape?

Honestly, I've been through the same phase of wanting to lose weight. I've currently lost almost 25 lbs without ever having a gym membership. The key is in your diet and then adding in exercise where you didn't have it before. Examples include: parking further away from the store you wanna go to (little but it all adds up), taking the stairs instead of the elevator, taking the slightly longer way to class in college (again, little but it all adds up), getting off the bus one stop earlier to fit in a little walk, walking to the store if you can instead of taking the car. Also try incorporating more activities such as swimming and hiking (both of which you can turn into a family/friends thing by inviting a group of people). Especially with the weather warming up there are many more options that are outside. Also, you could look at your local parks/recreation magazine (they often offer low-cost or free activities that can be really fun while also getting you out and about)
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Just what everyone else says, weight loss is probably 85-90 % diet but I love my planet fitness and it's only 10 bucks :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym or on the trail or out on your bike, etc...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There is no gym near where I live.
    Stick to your calorie goal and you can lose without any exercise.
    Walk. Run. Dance. Hike. Go roller skating or swimming. Climb stairs. Carry heavy things. Do more physical labor. Get workout dvd's from your library or Netflix. There are lots of workout videos on You Tube. Do an internet search for body weight workouts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym or on the trail or out on your bike, etc...

I like this :)