Cutting chips off my diet for good?

Options
Would it be worth it? I did it with soda for 3 years now, has anyone done it? Thanks! :)

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    What would be the point? It doesn't matter what you eat for weight loss. Though I wouldn't recommend a diet that comprises only chips. :wink:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    There used to be an ad for I think pringles (or maybe doritos?) that went, "bet you can't eat just one". I couldn't. I dunno, other than that, they're a lot of calories for a lot of nothing and you're hungry really soon after anyway.

I have chips maybe four times a year, if a) I'm stuck somewhere where the only food available is out of a vending machine or b) I've got vicious PMS and the choice is eat chips or be unnecessarily sad.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    To what end? If it's weight loss you're concerned with, all you need is a calorie deficit.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    There used to be an ad for I think pringles (or maybe doritos?) that went, "bet you can't eat just one". I couldn't. I dunno, other than that, they're a lot of calories for a lot of nothing and you're hungry really soon after anyway.

I have chips maybe four times a year, if a) I'm stuck somewhere where the only food available is out of a vending machine or b) I've got vicious PMS and the choice is eat chips or be unnecessarily sad.

Oh, I totally get this. There are things that I used to enjoy that I'd rather not waste my calories on now. But I just choose not to eat them most of the time. I don't forbid myself from having them ever again. It just seems like an unnecessary rule to worry about.
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Oh, I totally get this. There are things that I used to enjoy that I'd rather not waste my calories on now. But I just choose not to eat them most of the time. I don't forbid myself from having them ever again. It just seems like an unnecessary rule to worry about.

Agree. In my case, it took going through a "rule" period (south beach diet) to change my taste buds, which wasn't what i was thinking about at the time, but it happened. After that, I didn't really want chips (there's a funny aftertaste I'm more aware of now) and it was easy to choose something more nourishing.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,783 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Why worry about what you should NOT have? Worry about what TO have.

I tend to try and find good caloric bargains! That would be things that I enjoy eating, fill me up, and meet whatever needs or goals I occasionally have (amount of protein for the calories, speed or convenience, price, whatever).

Surprisingly, neither pop, nor nachos/chips, nor for that matter sugar for my coffee seem to make it on the list all that often, nor are they missed...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yeah 'cos deprivation works and doesn't lead to crash and burn behaviour

*insert sarcasm emoji*

I eat "chips" daily

Under 90 calories for a multipack pack of Quavers or Walker's Pops, why not? Even normal chips are only 125 cals ...I just prefer the former type

Salt & Pepper popchips with my carrots, pepper and hummus make it a feast

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As Rabbit says, buy the multipacks. Walkers Squares have under 100 calories. I buy them for my children sometimes. They love hula hoops too, I think they've got about 120 calories per pack. You can still enjoy these things, just don't buy those huge sharing bags and eat them all to yourself.

A large apple has around 80 calories. If you fancy chips, then I don't see the harm in eating a 97 calorie bag instead of eating an apple for example.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Um it's not deprivation if you no longer want it, and no, actually, I haven't crashed and burned, and neither have many people who choose to eat things other than chips
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Um it's not deprivation if you no longer want it, and no, actually, I haven't crashed and burned, and neither have many people who choose to eat things other than chips

No it's not

but as you said you "have chips maybe four times a year". You haven't told yourself I will never ever eat these again you have just changed your food tastes ...good for you

• tomatoey
    Options

No it's not

but as you said you "have chips maybe four times a year". You haven't told yourself I will never ever eat these again you have just changed your food tastes ...good for you

ah aha you weren't speaking to me ok lol cheers
  • Sued0nim
    Options

No it's not

Nah :tongue:

I have a tendency to read the title, read the OP (OK sometimes I only skim :blush: ) answer and then read up-thread

Is like thread-bingo and makes it more fun :bigsmile:
  • tomatoey
    Options

No it's not

Nah :tongue:

I have a tendency to read the title, read the OP (OK sometimes I only skim :blush: ) answer and then read up-thread

Is like thread-bingo and makes it more fun :bigsmile:

lol :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Would it be worth it? I did it with soda for 3 years now, has anyone done it? Thanks! :)

Depends on your approach and how important they are for your diet. You can either moderate and include some in your diet, but if you can cut them out and find more nutritious lower calorie altenatives that give you most of the benefits, then go for it. Its a personal choice whether they are worth the calories or they are not. I'd say they were a treat and arent really filling. If you want to cut them out completely or mostly then thats up to you, as plenty of people find its difficult to moderate them.
  • tezza_8778
    tezza_8778 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OP, well done quitting soda!!

I quit pringles, cheezels, crisps, etc at the end of December 2013 and haven't fallen off the wagon since :) They were like heroin to me, I had no control over portion size...I wouldnt get off the couch til the bag/box was empty.

There was no point trying to include them in my daily calories since I wouldn't have been satisfied with the portion so I decided just to go cold turkey. Now, after 15 months I honestly think I can go the rest of my life without having any more chips :) I do wonder what it would be like to eat them again but I think they would taste really greasy to me now.
  • tinawilldoitthistime
    tinawilldoitthistime Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just cook then in a healthier way par boil chips 5 mind and put in the oven
  • tinawilldoitthistime
    tinawilldoitthistime Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Minutes
  • Sued0nim
    Options

American chips =/= UK chips
    American chips = UK crisps
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

You're talking about "fries"... not chips. :wink:
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

If you like chips then no it wouldn't be worth it. Weight loss is as simple as calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. You don't have to cut out anything you enjoy, you just need to learn how to incorporate it into your calorie goals.