How can I get off the sugar?

Options
i have just recently decided enough is enough, I need to lose the excess weight! I am the biggest I have ever been, from the tracking I am doing, I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it? Any tips or advice? Plz feel free to friend me to chat

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So you don't want to eat fruit ?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I refuse to drink my calories.... So have stevia in my coffee. I also whizz it up with Coconut Oil which takes the edge off black coffee.

I rarely drink milk, but find I can easily drink milky coffee without sugar or a sugar alternative.

Drinking coffee isn't bad, unless it's your crutch and the only thing that gets you going in the morning.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong with sugar, as long as you're hitting your calorie goals. If you're using too many calories in your coffee then just switch to splenda or another sugar free option. Or you can cut back on the amount of sugar you add, to save some calories. I use 1/2tsp of a sugar stevia blend in my tea and it's 5 calories.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The sugar isn't your problem, it's excess calories. If you eat too much, even if you've cut out sugar, you will continue to gain. If you eat less than you burn, even if you continue to eat sugar, you will lose. That being said, you may find reducing sugary items helps you reduce your calories. But there's no need to try and eliminate it completely.
  • AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hear you. When I drove up to Starbucks they already knew my order. Two Venti coffees with 2 inches of cream each and 10 equal a piece. And that was just the morning dose. Been drinking coffee with cream and lots of sugar since I was 5 yrs old. No kidding. In PR coffee is life. For kids-extra milk and sugar.
    So. I gave it up. Cold turkey. Sugar. And by sugar I mean added sugars real or artificial. No lactose no pastas no breads no equal no honey no stevia. I wanted to be free of the crave. I wanted to lose my sweet tooth. So-i had to give up coffee because there was no way I would ever drink it without cream and sugar.
    About 8 months later someone offered me black coffee. Tried it. Love it! Seemed impossible.
    I am pretty sure my taste buds changed a lot when I gave up sugar.
    I lost 50 lbs, no longer needed a sleep apnea machine and no longer required cholesterol meds. Had more energy and slept better. No CAVITIES!
    I did it for over one year.
    Now let me be perfectly honest. Initially I was strict. Half way through I did allow myself the fun drinks with measure on weekends. I did occasionally sprinkle croutons on my salad. I did also occasion put a tiny bit of she's on a salad. But I found out even with this I continued my weight loss and no longer felt controlled by food. I continue this same journey. Maintained for a while slowly 10 lbs back as I let some old habits slip in. Still way ahead. It's an addiction folks. No different than alcoholism. But I'm back to good habits and can't believe I ever left. Also
    I always ate fructose... Fructose is the main sugar in fruit. However it is packaged in a lot of fiber. Ex-it use to take me 1 bag of carrots and about 5 oranges to make my favorite juice. That is all fructose with little fiber. I can do it in 30 sec. However I could, nor can most people, eat 1 bag of carrots and 5 oranges in one sitting. That's fiber.
    Wish you luck. You can do it.
    Sugar-the bitter truth documentary on YouTube is very good. Movie based on it- "fed up" is also good.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    tash754 wrote: »
    i have just recently decided enough is enough, I need to lose the excess weight! I am the biggest I have ever been, from the tracking I am doing, I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it? Any tips or advice? Plz feel free to friend me to chat

What kind of coffee are you drinking? I've found that the big chain coffee roasts are simply too bitter and people have a hard time drinking them black, so you end up adding a lot of creamer and sweetener to take the edge off. If you can find a milder roast coffee with the high bitterness you might find you like it black or a smaller amount of sweetener.

Of course, you also have to look at the rest of your daily intake, not just the sugar. It's total calories that adds the weight. Sugar adds calories quick, but it's likely you are getting extra calories from foods that are calorie dense, too. Good luck.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

@tash754 how many coffees do you drink a day, and how much sugar do you have in them?

Do you eat a lot of other sugary foods?

You don't need to cut out sugar completely, but sometimes it's a good idea to cut it back to limit your calorie intake.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fed up is a piece of drivel

OP if you want to stop having empty sugar calories in your coffee, even though it's only 16 cals per teaspoon. Replace it with sweetener and gradually reduce

But sugar is not your enemy ...too many calories are
  • AmorAguacate
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Thanks for the link. The dialogue continues I think it is important to realize that we have an INCOMPLETE understanding of nutrition and what is the optimal way to eat if even such a thing exists. The links I provided are based on my journey. My journey is complete and my suggestion to the author of the original post is to keep reading keep informing yourself. I have partially read the link you provided Orphea. I WILL read more. If you have not already and your are still interested I building up your understanding of nutrition - I still very much enjoyed sugar the bitter truth. The first step to success I believe is to care enough to rely investigate the data.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    nvmroz wrote: »
    I hear you. When I drove up to Starbucks they already knew my order. Two Venti coffees with 2 inches of cream each and 10 equal a piece. And that was just the morning dose. Been drinking coffee with cream and lots of sugar since I was 5 yrs old. No kidding. In PR coffee is life. For kids-extra milk and sugar.
    So. I gave it up. Cold turkey. Sugar. And by sugar I mean added sugars real or artificial. No lactose no pastas no breads no equal no honey no stevia. I wanted to be free of the crave. I wanted to lose my sweet tooth. So-i had to give up coffee because there was no way I would ever drink it without cream and sugar.
    About 8 months later someone offered me black coffee. Tried it. Love it! Seemed impossible.
    I lost 50 lbs, no longer needed a sleep apnea machine and no longer required cholesterol meds. Had more energy and slept better. No CAVITIES!
    Now let me be perfectly honest. Initially I was strict. Half way through I did allow myself the fun drinks with measure on weekends. I did occasionally sprinkle croutons on my salad. I did also occasion put a tiny bit of she's on a salad. But I found out even with this I continued my weight loss and no longer felt controlled by food. I continue this same journey. Maintained for a while slowly 10 lbs back as I let some old habits slip in. Still way ahead. It's an addiction folks. No different than alcoholism. But I'm back to good habits and can't believe I ever left. Also
    I always ate fructose... Fructose is the main sugar in fruit. However it is packaged in a lot of fiber. Ex-it use to take me 1 bag of carrots and about 5 oranges to make my favorite juice. That is all fructose with little fiber. I can do it in 30 sec. However I could, nor can most people, eat 1 bag of carrots and 5 oranges in one sitting. That's fiber.
    Sugar-the bitter truth documentary on YouTube is very good. Movie based on it- "fed up" is also good.

Those are actual the complete opposite of good.

So you're addicted to fruits, vegetables, rice, bread etc?

• Sarasmaintaining
    Options

Your post loses all credibility with these recommendations.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options
    I eat a lot of vegetables. Yes. Is that wrong? Hmmm.

I have struggled for lifetime and Im quite happy with my progress. Not satisfied yet but i I tend never to be fully satisfied as I don't believe I will ever stop trying to learn more ways to eat better.
    So in answer to your question. Yes I do eat a lot vegetables. Actually I don't eat rice. I do eat fruit.
    What don't I do. I don't exclude every food group categorically. So have I eaten rice in the last year yes. Have I eaten pasta? A bite out two. Have I put milk in my coffee on a random day? Yep.
    Do I drink beer? Yep.
    Am I addicted to fruits vegetables and rice. Lol. No.
    Addicted is what I was when I couldn't stop eating processed foods. I was addicted to sugar.
    The point of my post was to share my story with the original poster and let her know it is possible to give up a sugar addiction. And also that 100% quitting sugar is not only not desirable but not possible. However "essentially" quitting it does reduce it to a level in my diet where a whole other spectrum of food is open to me and I find it more easy to carry on with those better choices without the Enormous Levels that were formerly present.

I am freer than ever when it comes to food choice.

Incidentally. I also eat meat and eggs.
    Have a great day and journey.
  • cenandra
    cenandra Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Fed up is a piece of drivel

But sugar is not your enemy ...too many calories are

Amen...hard for people to realize it until they log everything and see the results of keeping below their goal. I still have my special Latte from Starbucks once in awhile and I have kept off the 52+ pounds I lost back in 2008. Its all about calories in vs out. It can be done, we just have to stop lying to ourselves in what we are consuming.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options

Thanks for the link.
    The dialogue continues I think it is important to realize that we have an INCOMPLETE understanding of nutrition and what is the optimal way to eat if even such a thing exists. The links I provided are based on my journey. My journey is incomplete (I don't ever wish it to be complete as to me that implies a stagnant mind without room for growth) and my suggestion to the author of the original post is to keep reading keep informing yourself. I have partially read the link you provided Orphea. I WILL read more. I still very much enjoyed sugar the bitter truth. I suspect someone will find inaccuracies within the link you provided as they themselves claim to have found on the documentaries they critique. None if it is absolute truth because we still seek truth. Still it is an important piece of the dialogue. Thank you for providing it.

The first step to success I believe is to care enough to rely investigate the many theories available.

So.. To the original poster: I wish you luck. As you can see it is possible to break the habit you seek to break. I hope my personal story will provide some encouragement in that respect.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options

I have struggled for lifetime and Im quite happy with my progress. Not satisfied yet but i I tend never to be fully satisfied as I don't believe I will ever stop trying to learn more ways to eat better.
    So in answer to your question. Yes I do eat a lot vegetables. Actually I don't eat rice. I do eat fruit.
    What don't I do. I don't exclude every food group categorically. So have I eaten rice in the last year yes. Have I eaten pasta? A bite out two. Have I put milk in my coffee on a random day? Yep.
    Do I drink beer? Yep.
    Addicted is what I was when I couldn't stop eating processed foods. I was addicted to sugar.
    The point of my post was to share my story with the original poster and let her know it is possible to give up a sugar addiction. And also that 100% quitting sugar is not only not desirable but not possible. However "essentially" quitting it does reduce it to a level in my diet where a whole other spectrum of food is open to me and I find it more easy to carry on with those better choices without the Enormous Levels that were formerly present.

Saying all that still doesn't make what you said before accurate.
    And no. You weren't addicted to sugar. You just really like eating it. It's the same sugar in fruit you are just choosing to believe it's different.

+1
  • AmorAguacate
    Options

Good morning,
    Thank you for your insight.

I have accomplished what I wrote and how I did it. I am sure it is not the credibility of that you question.

The credibility of the links. That is well within your right and duty to question.

Those links are my starting point to a drastically healthier lifestyle. It provided me with the resolve I needed to get rid of the processed foods in my life and the enormous sugar quantities I consumed. I needed that kind of mindset to a complete that. And to your seeming discontent, it worked for me.

It is far from being the final answer.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options

Do I drink beer? Yep.

Saying all that still doesn't make what you said before accurate.
    And no. You weren't addicted to sugar. You just really like eating it. It's the same sugar in fruit you are just choosing to believe it's different.

+1
    Let's agree to disagree.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options

Good morning,
    Thank you for your insight.

I have accomplished what I wrote and how I did it. I am sure it is not the credibility of that you question.

The credibility of the links. That is well within your right and duty to question.

Those links are my starting point to a drastically healthier lifestyle. It provided me with the resolve I needed to get rid of the processed foods in my life and the enormous sugar quantities I consumed. I needed that kind of mindset to a complete that. And to your seeming discontent, it worked for me.

It is far from being the final answer.

You're right I should have worded that differently, sorry about that. The two links you posted (yes, I've watched both) are full of biased misinformation. That's what I was trying to get across.