Exercises for those with knee problems.

Options
101141 Posts: 24 Member
I have had 3 knee surgeries and can't run.. What are some suggestions?

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    walking :) thats how do it :)
    Options
    walking :) thats how do it :)

How far do you think to start?
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    i started out on the treadmill 5 minutes the first day lol I couldn't do more than that

and i builded it up
    Now 7.5 months later i walk at least 3 miles a day ( about 60 to 70 minutes) and if my leg and knee allows it on good days i even jog 20 minutes of that
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    do what you can do Dont over do it
    But do every day a bit
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    101141 wrote: »
    I have had 3 knee surgeries and can't run.. What are some suggestions?

You can't run now or forever? What limitations did your doctor/PT give you? Did they provide any suggestions as to what you can do? You may want to contact them and ask since they know your particular issue.

Good luck.
    Options
    i started out on the treadmill 5 minutes the first day lol I couldn't do more than that

and i builded it up
    Now 7.5 months later i walk at least 3 miles a day ( about 60 to 70 minutes) and if my leg and knee allows it on good days i even jog 20 minutes of that

I did about a half hour but it's pretty much unbearable right now
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Walking is *awesome* exercise. Bad knees here, too. I bought a Fitbit to count my steps and just did a little bit more each day. That was three months ago, and I now walk 20,000 plus steps a day. That's about 10 miles. :)
    Options
    Walking is *awesome* exercise. Bad knees here, too. I bought a Fitbit to count my steps and just did a little bit more each day. That was three months ago, and I now walk 20,000 plus steps a day. That's about 10 miles. :)

How long does it take you to walk?
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    I do it two miles at a time. Takes me about 20 minutes per session, now. My time decreased the fitter I got, because I was able to walk faster and keep the pace up without getting winded.

My walking also gives me over a thousand extra calories a day to do with as I please. :)

Oh, and I've lost just under 40 lbs.
    Options
    I do it two miles at a time. Takes me about 20 minutes per session, now. My time decreased the fitter I got, because I was able to walk faster and keep the pace up without getting winded.

My walking also gives me over a thousand extra calories a day to do with as I please. :)

Oh, and I've lost just under 40 lbs.

Awesome! I'll try that to start. I have a home estem unit for pain management so that should help
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Just don't overdo it, or you'll be back to square one. Make sure you are following your PT's guidelines. You don't want to push your knee to far or too fast! S-l-o-w-l-y wins this race. ;)
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When it is unbearable now you did to much. Just take it easy it is not a race. And when you want to lose weight you dont even have to exercise.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen. I lost my first 32 pounds without exercising the other 60 pound was while i also was walking/jogging. Of course when you want to get fit exercise is great and it helps you to lose weight.

But dont push it with the knee. It will get stronger over time.

Even for me now, there are still days that i walk or jog and after a few minutes i have to stop. But i think the next day another attempt. It doesn't happen much but still it happens.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Exercises to strengthen your core, your quads. Stretches for your glutes. There are stretches you can do lying down or when sitting so you don't put full body weight on your knees.

Water activities are good too.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? If so, try hitting the pool. It's virtually "zero impact" on leg joints as the water supports them. Or you could join an aqua aerobics class if swimming doesn't sound quite your thing. (Both Assuming your surgical wounds are fully healed)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If your knees are that bad, the pool may be the answer.

During the first 70lbs I used to joke that I wanted to walk up the hill and take a bus or cab down the hill! As I dropped to the bottom end of obese, I actually started to NOT feel sharp pain (or have to walk backwards) when going downhill, though it still bothers me a bit if I've "over-done it"

The beauty of walking is that you can do it ANY time. Even 10 minutes at a time add up. Fitbit or jawbone (even the cheaper versions) are excellent little motivational tools, and generally their caloric "adjustments" are fairly accurate.
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery in April and for therapy and exercise I was told bicycling is the best. I use a recumbent bike. It helps regain range of motion in my knee. Walking is ok as long as I don't overdo it. Make sure you have good shoes for support.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I think elliptical trainers are commonly used for low-impact cardio, including after injuries? You should talk to your doctor first but it should generally be less stressful on the joints than walking. That's what I used when I had severe plantar fasciitis and I occasionally still use it when my PF flares up enough that I can't jog.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's odd to me that they recommend the recumbent bike. I have psoriatic arthritis and my knees are pretty bad. I can't do the bike anymore, it's just too painful. I am a weirdo, though.

I like to walk, I do water jogging, and I also do strength training. Strengthening the muscles surrounding the knees helps a lot.

I do find that I have to limit my time walking, but that is more for pain in some other joints, particularly my SI joints and feet.
  • Tyke2410
    Tyke2410 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis and I love my elliptical trainer, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. It's very low-impact so there's no 'shockwave' as your foot hits the floor like when you walk or jog, and you don't feel so tired afterwards.
    I'd second the advice about wearing decent shoes that support your feet properly; a gait analysis can be very useful (but beware of sports shop assistants just trying to sell you new trainers, try to get to a podiatrist!).
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I, too, have had 3 knee surgeries. The most recent being in October of last year. As a Clinical Exercise Physiologist, I've been doing my own rehab with the approval of my surgeon. I avoid the elliptical as my stride length doesn't match up with the stride length of the machine, so if you pick an elliptical, make sure it is one that matches your stride length or has an adjustment to make it match your stride length. A lot of people with knee issues complain about the exercise bike, but what I've seen in the gym is that they don't set the seat at the proper distance and that is why it bothers the knees. When the leg is fully extended (at the bottom of the circle made by the pedals) you should have a 5 degree bend in the knee and never let it lock out. Too far or too close and you will have too much of a bend or lock out and that can cause pain, especially in an already compromised knee joint. With the 5 degree bend, however, it won't give you those issues. I also love the Arc Trainer by Cybex. It is adjustable so you can make it more like a stepper if you have no knee issues but for those of us with knee problems, we can set it to a 0 incline so it is more like a Gazelle (also good for cardio with knee issues) where the knee stays in a semi-bent position. The number one thing I've done for my knee rehab, however, is weight training. Specifically, the leg press and 30% leg extensions are my favorites. Just make sure your form is perfect on any weight training. Never let your knees go past your toes on leg presses, squats, lunges, etc. And most importantly, talk to your doctor about what your limitations are because those differ based on what kind of injury/surgery you had. My most recent one was a new treatment for athletes to grow new cartilage, which won't be fully matured for 2 years, so I am not allowed to run again until next year. But the strengthening exercises are vital now because they stimulate the blood flow that gets the nutrients into the joint to grow the new cartilage. So, check with your doctor first but I'm betting strengthening will be most important and then find the other form of cardio that you prefer.