Exercises for those with knee problems.

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    101141 wrote: »
    I have had 3 knee surgeries and can't run.. What are some suggestions?

Walking or swimming (especially swimming!!!!!). Make sure you get a really good pair of shoes for the walking. Go to a store that can analyze you gait. If you will be walking outside, don't be afraid to look at things like trail running shoes. The best I have ever used for both my knee and my foot (osteoarthritis in both, one on each leg) are a pair of Salomon trail runners. Lightweight, great tread, excellent support.

• ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When it is unbearable now you did to much. Just take it easy it is not a race. And when you want to lose weight you dont even have to exercise.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen. I lost my first 32 pounds without exercising the other 60 pound was while i also was walking/jogging. Of course when you want to get fit exercise is great and it helps you to lose weight.

But dont push it with the knee. It will get stronger over time.

Even for me now, there are still days that i walk or jog and after a few minutes i have to stop. But i think the next day another attempt. It doesn't happen much but still it happens.

This is all excellent advice. I've made several weight loss attempts, and my past logging shows I can lose about 10 pounds per month just through diet, and it goes up to 25 pounds per month when I add an hour on the elliptical every day later on, when I feel like I'm ready. This time I have a high starting weight, which makes me worried about my knees if I run, so all I'm doing is fairly casual walking, about an 18 minute mile, according to the MapMyWalk app. If you just take a walk every day you'll feel good doing it, if you go slow it would be great rehabilitation for your knee, and you're laying down that fitness habit that you can increase later. For now, you'll be getting in the habit of saving that time every day for exercise.

Also, I'm going to start swimming at my local pool, which is zero impact on legs. If you have one of those, swimming is great strength and cardio!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you can get into a pool, that would also be another wonderful option for you. I bought an AquaJogger set and can't wait for the pool to warm up so I can do something other than the walking. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I, too, have had 3 knee surgeries. The most recent being in October of last year. As a Clinical Exercise Physiologist, I've been doing my own rehab with the approval of my surgeon. I avoid the elliptical as my stride length doesn't match up with the stride length of the machine, so if you pick an elliptical, make sure it is one that matches your stride length or has an adjustment to make it match your stride length. A lot of people with knee issues complain about the exercise bike, but what I've seen in the gym is that they don't set the seat at the proper distance and that is why it bothers the knees. When the leg is fully extended (at the bottom of the circle made by the pedals) you should have a 5 degree bend in the knee and never let it lock out. Too far or too close and you will have too much of a bend or lock out and that can cause pain, especially in an already compromised knee joint. With the 5 degree bend, however, it won't give you those issues. I also love the Arc Trainer by Cybex. It is adjustable so you can make it more like a stepper if you have no knee issues but for those of us with knee problems, we can set it to a 0 incline so it is more like a Gazelle (also good for cardio with knee issues) where the knee stays in a semi-bent position. The number one thing I've done for my knee rehab, however, is weight training. Specifically, the leg press and 30% leg extensions are my favorites. Just make sure your form is perfect on any weight training. Never let your knees go past your toes on leg presses, squats, lunges, etc. And most importantly, talk to your doctor about what your limitations are because those differ based on what kind of injury/surgery you had. My most recent one was a new treatment for athletes to grow new cartilage, which won't be fully matured for 2 years, so I am not allowed to run again until next year. But the strengthening exercises are vital now because they stimulate the blood flow that gets the nutrients into the joint to grow the new cartilage. So, check with your doctor first but I'm betting strengthening will be most important and then find the other form of cardio that you prefer.

That's how I was using the bike, because I'd read that advice before. Still have pain. My pain was from the bent leg, not the extended leg.

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    That's how I was using the bike, because I'd read that advice before. Still have pain. My pain was from the bent leg, not the extended leg.

If your pain is from the bent position, I would recommend having a doctor do some imaging of your knee. You might actually have a piece of cartilage that has torn off. That was the whole reason I had to have my last surgery. The torn off piece was in a place that caused pain and limited range of motion.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great workout. I swim once a week for an hour and it really has reduced my overall body pain And given some greats results.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

If your pain is from the bent position, I would recommend having a doctor do some imaging of your knee. You might actually have a piece of cartilage that has torn off. That was the whole reason I had to have my last surgery. The torn off piece was in a place that caused pain and limited range of motion.
    I had the same problem and it turned out that my kneecap was tilted. They did a lateral release and I have been painfree for 5 years.

• MR_STRATTON
    MR_STRATTON Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am new to the program and have enjoyed this conversation. I, too, have bad knees. No surgeries yet, but am scheduled for a consultation in a week. I also have hip pain and nuropothy (I have no idea how to spell that) in both feet. I have to lose 100+ pounds.

I have always been over weight. I gain rapidly, but when I commit to a program, I also lose fairly easily. Four years ago I lost over 200 pounds and maintained that for a year. Then, foolishly allowed myself to gain half of the weight back.

Any exercise hurts. I have found that I can use an exercise ball with little or no pain. However, I cannot find any information on the value of this exercise. I know it has to be helping some, but how much? If nothing else, it increases circulation.

Any ideas?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues and can walk a lot easier on dirt paths than on pavement. I can walk for two miles in the wood without knee pain. Good shoes are important too - I'm currently using Asics gel sneakers.

I've built up to 90 minutes of yoga.

I can do the recumbent bike at the gym but I don't like it as much as walking, yoga, or swimming.

The MFP email often has articles about knees. Here's the most recent one: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-post-workout-stretches-to-combat-knee-pain/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm sure your doctor gave you exercises to do - do them! Here's what mine gave me. I do these and more as part of my yoga warm ups.

dxydcebq3nkx.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I'll talk to my rheumy about this the next time I see her. The pain is bilateral, so I doubt that I have that problem in both knees.

My problems are inflammatory, though... not necessarily mechanical. It would be nice to be able to do the bike again just to have another option for days where my feet hurt too much for the treadmill.

101141 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is what they put me on today, I walked two miles, so we will see how I feel tonight. Feel free to add me! I'm supposed to use it for two hours a day, throughout the day. 8zrxxzxflu2t.jpg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    For me, with an old knee injury from my more athletic days, the best exercises are walking, Pilates, yoga, and weight lifting (though when it comes to leg day, I have gotten a bit more advice from my PT).
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think elliptical trainers are commonly used for low-impact cardio, including after injuries? You should talk to your doctor first but it should generally be less stressful on the joints than walking. That's what I used when I had severe plantar fasciitis and I occasionally still use it when my PF flares up enough that I can't jog.

I have knee problems and saw a physiotherapist. Elliptical was the LAST thing i should be doing. Swimming, any water exercises and cycling (not spin) are the best options, low impact walking (watching the inclines, particularly downhill). GRADUAL and SLOW progress and minimizing impact.
    Ideally see a physiotherapist to get the proper guidance for what you can safely do.

• emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 knee surgeries and I found that the bike is the best.... Love it actually! But slowly start strength training too which has helped....
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I have a rebounder from ages ago and was thinking of digging that out of the attic. Has anyone made use of one?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For those with patellar tendinopathy - just discovered eccentric decline squats. See this blog post for a discussion and instructions. You'd need some kind of plank angled at 25 degrees decline.
    Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBqRrxxKois

Today I tried just regular partial squats (not singles) on a decline - ie a half-wobble board at my gym (which doesn't have a stretching board or whatever). They were challenging in a good way - no pain, just the sensation of muscles working.

edit: ask your physio if these are safe for you or try at your own risk
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    wow when i do this i cant walk for a week...far to heavy for my damaged knee. Lol i keep walking and jogging and swimming.
    I walk with incline on 5 some days in the week too. That makes it stronger. But i wouldn't dare to do what the guy in the video does, i am sure i have to keep it up a chair for a week to recover.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    wow when i do this i cant walk for a week...far to heavy for my damaged knee. Lol i keep walking and jogging and swimming.
    I walk with incline on 5 some days in the week too. That makes it stronger. But i wouldn't dare to do what the guy in the video does, i am sure i have to keep it up a chair for a week to recover.

I used both legs - all the weight on one would be too much for me! But the decline angle really targets those quads on the eccentric motion (even with both legs)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Well i cant do this thats for sure

Funny is i can walk the whole day...i can jog 20 minutes straight. I use the incline on my treadmill. But walking up the 5 stairs up to my front door gives me problems. I always have to be careful.

lol i hold of for now ;) hehehe