Lost 6.6 pounds this week

Options
mcahoon79
mcahoon79 Posts: 25 Member
It has been a long time since I have really watched what I was eating. At my heaviest I weighed 320 pound. When I was 25 I decided that I needed to lose weight because I wanted to be able to run with my kids once I had them. In about a year and a half I got down to 165pounds. I felt great inside and out. I met my husband about 1 and a half later. Fast forward 8 years: 2 kids, busy jobs and a husband that loves me regardless. In that time I have gained 35 pound and weighed 203 as of last week. I decided it was time to do something. This past week I lost 6.6 pounds. I have a long way to go but feeling better.

Replies

• Tanyap327
    Tanyap327 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How did you do it ?
  • karensuegill
    karensuegill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just know that whenever you first start a losing weight eating plan, the first week is always the biggest loss. You probably already know that, but don't get discouraged if the next week is not that big of a loss. My advice as one who has lost and gained back the weight many times is take it slow so that your healthy eating plan is sustainable for life. If it isn't, the statistics say that 80-95% of people will gain it back. Don't starve yourself because you will feel deprived and you will not be able to sustain it long term. Good luck to you! I have lost 54 pounds over the last year and a half. I tried to lose a pound a week. I am now at goal and maintaining. What I eat now is not that much different compared to what I was eating to lose.
  • Andela87
    Andela87 Posts: 206 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well first of all, congrats on your original weight loss from 320 down to 165 (even gaining 35 lbs of it back, that's still a great loss!)

Second, 6.6 lbs a week is not healthy or realistic. Unfortunately, most of what you lost is probably water or glycogen (that's not to say none of it was fat!), which will likely come back. I'm guessing you're now watching your eating, so fewer carbs and less salt is probably the culprit.

While I understand the feeling of wanting that weight off as soon as possible, slow and steady really is the way to go. Think of it as less of a diet and more of a new, healthier lifestyle that you can maintain long term.

Don't get discouraged if the number on the scale does go back up a bit. You've done it before and you can do it again :) Best of luck!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss and here is to being consistent and patient. Large losses are not unusual at the beginning as a lot of it will be water weight, food in your belly etc but it is still a great start and not to be taken for granted.

Here is a link that will help you along the way...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

Good luck OP!
  • mcahoon79
    mcahoon79 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice. My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds. Currently eating 1200-1300 calories. I have not cut out any of the sugar or carbs as they are the hardest for me to moderate. My goal for next week is to decrease the grams of sugar I am eating as I am consistently over that nutrient. I know last time I made diet changes I lost about 9 pounds the first week and then 1-2 pound every week after for the most part. For me it feels so good to be under 200 again even if it is just water weight. I know there is more to come. My plan is to stay with 12-1300 daily until I add some excersize in as I have a pretty sedentary job. The first time I lost my weight I used the weight watchers system and walked walked walked. This time just watching my calories which is pretty similar method.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!