Cutting chips off my diet for good?

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Would it be worth it? I did it with soda for 3 years now, has anyone done it? Thanks! :)

Are you talking about chips (what Americans call French Fries) ... or chips (what the British call crisps)?

As a Canadian living in Australia, my first thought was chips ... as in what you'd serve with fish: Fish and chips. But then I wondered if you might be talking about things like sour cream and onion crisps.

About a year ago, I decided that chips/crisps weren't worth it. I have had them a few times since, but not often (I'm thinking I've had them maybe 3 or 4 times). It's not like they are an essential food + personally, I might share a medium-sized bag with my husband but between the two of us, we'll polish off a bag and that's a lot of unnecessary calories + the salt makes me retain water ... my weight always jumped 1 kg after eating a bag of chips. I didn't need all that, so chips/crisps are now rarely eaten in our house.

For a while I craved them, but when I started logging here I realised that I was craving salt. My sodium levels were quite low ... less than half the recommended value. So I started eating cottage cheese and a pickle or cottage cheese and salted cucumber slices after work, and the cravings for chips/crisps went away. :)

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you.

Can/do you eat them in moderation right now? That is, can you have just 1 serving or do you just nibble out of the big bag constantly?

I have a hard time doing moderation when it comes to Pringles. If there's a regular-size tube in the house, I'll just leave them there until I'm having a bad day and then binge on them. So now I buy the single serving containers because I CAN just have one and not allow myself to have 3 or what have you.

If you're meeting your nutritional needs and like chips, eat them :)

~Lyssa
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    tezza_8778 wrote: »
    OP, well done quitting soda!!

I quit pringles, cheezels, crisps, etc at the end of December 2013 and haven't fallen off the wagon since :) They were like heroin to me, I had no control over portion size...I wouldnt get off the couch til the bag/box was empty.

There was no point trying to include them in my daily calories since I wouldn't have been satisfied with the portion so I decided just to go cold turkey. Now, after 15 months I honestly think I can go the rest of my life without having any more chips :) I do wonder what it would be like to eat them again but I think they would taste really greasy to me now.

Thank you! That is a good mindset :)

I get that funny aftertaste too like what the other person said so thanks for sharing your insight :)
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    It's really up to you.

Can/do you eat them in moderation right now? That is, can you have just 1 serving or do you just nibble out of the big bag constantly?

I have a hard time doing moderation when it comes to Pringles. If there's a regular-size tube in the house, I'll just leave them there until I'm having a bad day and then binge on them. So now I buy the single serving containers because I CAN just have one and not allow myself to have 3 or what have you.

If you're meeting your nutritional needs and like chips, eat them :)

~Lyssa

My problem is I wanna finish the entire cannister haha so I wanna quit it to avoid it if that makes sense hehe
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    Th
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Would it be worth it? I did it with soda for 3 years now, has anyone done it? Thanks! :)

Are you talking about chips (what Americans call French Fries) ... or chips (what the British call crisps)?

As a Canadian living in Australia, my first thought was chips ... as in what you'd serve with fish: Fish and chips. But then I wondered if you might be talking about things like sour cream and onion crisps.

About a year ago, I decided that chips/crisps weren't worth it. I have had them a few times since, but not often (I'm thinking I've had them maybe 3 or 4 times). It's not like they are an essential food + personally, I might share a medium-sized bag with my husband but between the two of us, we'll polish off a bag and that's a lot of unnecessary calories + the salt makes me retain water ... my weight always jumped 1 kg after eating a bag of chips. I didn't need all that, so chips/crisps are now rarely eaten in our house.

For a while I craved them, but when I started logging here I realised that I was craving salt. My sodium levels were quite low ... less than half the recommended value. So I started eating cottage cheese and a pickle or cottage cheese and salted cucumber slices after work, and the cravings for chips/crisps went away. :)

That is a great way to look at it!!! I will check my sodium levels hehe that is an incredible observation
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you can eat 1 serving a day and fit them into your calorie goal, then go for it. If having a bag in the house means you will eat the entire thing in a day or two, banish them from the house. You can still have chips when you go to a cookout, say. Just fill your plate with healthy stuff and put a few chips on top--no seconds.