Is it good to exercise every day?

Options
Hi. I had a question about exercise maybe someone else could answer.

For the past two weeks, I've exercised every day, 20 minutes weights, 40 minutes cardio for 14 days straight. Now that I'm looking around other sites, though, almost every site I find says that you shouldn't work out every day. They say it should be a 6-day maximum, 5 or 4 days a week is better. Is this true and why?

I can kinda see where it would be a bad idea, in some regards. If you exercise every day, it'll recalibrate your metabolism and in the long run, I could see that making it more difficult to lose weight. Similar to having a cheat day so your metabolism doesn't settle into your diet. However, I've lost 3 kg these past few weeks exercising every day. But I could see this possibly simply being a boost, going from neither dieting nor exercising straight into both.

What I've always done with food is to have one cheat day and one freebie day. What I mean by this is to have a day where I purposely eat whatever I want (cheat day) and one day where I might have accidentally eaten too much (freebie day.) I try not to use my freebie day, but if I do, it means I have to be extra diligent the rest of the week.

I was thinking maybe the same could be applied to exercise? Have one exercise free day and one busy day. In the same way I have a cheat day and a freebie day for food, I was thinking of having one day where I make sure not to exercise and one day where I either forget to work out or am too busy, guilt-free. (Again, trying not to have too many "busy days" and being super diligent if I happen to use one.) I was thinking I'd have my food cheat day on a Wednesday and then my exercise cheat day on the opposite end of the week, on Saturday or Sunday.

What do you guys think? Do I have the right idea? Do I have anything wrong? Please let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a rest day for recovery. Otherwise, you're leavibg yourself open to injury. Your muscles need time to repair, that's also why we retain water when starting a new exercise or increasing intensity, to repair.
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Clint Eastwood was once asked how he kept in such good shape over the years and his response was to eat a balanced diet and do something active every day. So resting is important, but not forsaking exercise. Just don't do the same thing over and over again, which could burn you out or cause injury. Mix it up!
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I do workout every day. Either I play squash (intensely aerobic) or walk on treadmill (more relaxed). I cannot stay within my daily calorie limit if I don't work out. If you can take a day off without messing up you calories, go for it.

P.S. One cheat day and one freebie day per week?? That is too much. You are unlikely to create a calorie deficit on a weekly basis with that pattern. Even for cheat days and freebie days, you should log what you eat.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lift every day, but doing some cardio, even if it's walking, every day probably isn't going to be a problem. On the flip side, if you feel like you need a rest day, take a rest day.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    mls100771 wrote: »
    Clint Eastwood was once asked how he kept in such good shape over the years and his response was to eat a balanced diet and do something active every day. So resting is important, but not forsaking exercise. Just don't do the same thing over and over again, which could burn you out or cause injury. Mix it up!

^ This. You generally don't want to to the same movement everyday, but do something. Not every day should be the same, vary the movements and intensity levels.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There are certain types of exercise you can do 365 days a year (walking, cycling, swimming) and others that require recovery days (weights, running) to allow for repair.

Recovery days ......yes. "Rest" days....optional. The only things that will "recalibrate" your metabolism are increasing lean muscle mass (good) or an adaptation to long periods of extreme caloric deficits (bad).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do something typically everyday...

but I have what is called "active rest days" where I don't do anything too intense...2-3 mile light walk.

I lift M/T Th/Fri run Mon Thurs Sat. Wednesday is my "active rest day" .

I walk on my non running days and on Sundays it depends on the weather...
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'll admit, in those 2 weeks, I've felt weakness in the muscles I've worked and have wondered if it might not be the best idea to continue with the weight lifting for that day. Nevertheless, I did it. On days when I think I might need to take a break from the weight lifting, should I replace that time with some cardio?
    P.S. One cheat day and one freebie day per week?? That is too much. You are unlikely to create a calorie deficit on a weekly basis with that pattern. Even for cheat days and freebie days, you should log what you eat.

Like I said, freebie days are only for screw-ups. I try my best not to use them and to only have one day a week where I go over. But if I do have the occasional screw-up, if it's only occasional, I see no reason to beat myself up over it.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    No. The muscles need to repair.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do something every day too, even if it's just a 3 miles walk.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It's probably not good to do the same intense exercise regime everyday, especially when you are new to it. You're asking for things like overuse injures, or just simply burning yourself out mentally by taking on a massive change so fast. Incorporating a mixture of activities which work different muscle groups, use different movements, and are of varying levels of intensity/impact would possibly allow you to have more active days a week, but I think a true 'rest' day once a week where you just do a bit of pottering around as part of your normal day will probably be good for the body and the spirit. I do a mix of weights routines, elliptical, walking, swimming and running, and manage to do about 5-6 days of exercise per week, but it varies. You could try something like that rather than do your same routine day in day out, as it does sound like you enjoy exercise now you've got into it, which is a great asset.

However, 2 things stood out to me in your post. I'm really not sure what you meant by exercising recalibrating your metabolism - daily activity increases your calorie expenditure, but it doesn't cause any massive long term systemic overhaul. Might just be I'm not understanding your wording. Cheat 'days' can also be risky - I know I could eat back any weekly deficit I'd created in a day of consuming whatever I wanted. I think lots of people find a cheat meal a better system, as it's harder to destroy a weekly deficit but you still get to cut loose a little.
  • MinatoandClover
    Options
    I only have an exercise bike and I can't afford a gym membership. If possible, I'd like to stay in my house. Being able to watch a YouTube playlist has made wanting to work out a lot easier. Does anyone have any suggestions for a different activity? Also, I do much better with routine. If I alternate every other day, cycling and something else, would that be enough variety? I'm not very good at coming up with this sort of thing...
    yesimpson wrote: »
    It's probably not good to do the same intense exercise regime everyday, especially when you are new to it. You're asking for things like overuse injures, or just simply burning yourself out mentally by taking on a massive change so fast. Incorporating a mixture of activities which work different muscle groups, use different movements, and are of varying levels of intensity/impact would possibly allow you to have more active days a week, but I think a true 'rest' day once a week where you just do a bit of pottering around as part of your normal day will probably be good for the body and the spirit. I do a mix of weights routines, elliptical, walking, swimming and running, and manage to do about 5-6 days of exercise per week, but it varies. You could try something like that rather than do your same routine day in day out, as it does sound like you enjoy exercise now you've got into it, which is a great asset.

However, 2 things stood out to me in your post. I'm really not sure what you meant by exercising recalibrating your metabolism - daily activity increases your calorie expenditure, but it doesn't cause any massive long term systemic overhaul. Might just be I'm not understanding your wording. Cheat 'days' can also be risky - I know I could eat back any weekly deficit I'd created in a day of consuming whatever I wanted. I think lots of people find a cheat meal a better system, as it's harder to destroy a weekly deficit but you still get to cut loose a little.

I don't think recalibrate was the right word. What I meant is that I think one's body gets used to exercising every day and sets your metabolism to that. It starts to plateau. What I was thinking was that taking a day off could jump-start one's metabolism, getting them off that plateau. But a lot of people have said that this can be countered by simply doing something different every day, not taking a day off.

I've always done decently with a cheat day. I do some things to sort of counter-balance it, like eating a very small breakfast instead of my usual menu, and making absolute sure to exercise on the day that I cheat (or make a mistake or cave in, which I try not to make a habit of but happens sometimes.) I try not to let it get too out of hand, but I do like my pop and trips to the bread shop (which I also have to bike to.) I feel like I'd be tempted to jump off the wagon if I didn't make an allowance for those things, at least. Maybe when I get to a lower weight and if I start to find that an entire cheat day is causing me to plateau, I'll relegate it to a single meal. Thanks for the advice!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't "plateau" when you do the same exercise every day. Lots of people believe that, but it's a myth. If you always run 4 miles a day at the same speed, for instance (just to pick an example), you won't get any better at running those 4 miles, but you will still burn the same number of calories on day 100 as you did on day 1. Your heart rate while running might decrease, which will lead most heart rate monitors to estimate that you are burning fewer calories, but that's because their formulas don't take into account improved cardiovascular fitness (your heart pumps more blood per beat as you build up CV fitness, so it takes fewer beats to deliver the same amount of oxygen, and your muscles get better at using oxygen). At a certain point you'll no longer make further adaptations unless you push yourself harder, but that has nothing to do with the calories you metabolize for the activity (leaving aside activities where improvements in form can dramatically increase efficiency).

I'm not really into strength training right now, but I do a basic bodyweight routine a couple times a week. I'm not increasing reps or difficulty, so I'm not getting stronger. But I'm not getting weaker either!

As for working out every day, it's not a problem as long as they're not all intense days. You should allow at least one day of rest between strength training bouts for the same muscles, so if you do legs on Monday, wait until Wednesday. That's why lots of people alternate upper and lower body workouts, or pushing and pulling workouts.

There's no problem with daily cardio. Just keep most of it moderate. Running is a possible exception, since it is high impact, but you mention cycling, which is lower impact. I'm usually doing something every day, but sometimes it's just a brisk walk, like today.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rest and recovery are important...but it also depends on what you're doing exactly. for example, I will still go for a walk or whatever on a rest day...it's not a very rigorous activity and going for a walk isn't going to impede recovery. You shouldn't lift everyday and you should make sure you're taking rest from rigorous activity.
  • MinatoandClover
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Your body doesn't "plateau" when you do the same exercise every day. Lots of people believe that, but it's a myth. If you always run 4 miles a day at the same speed, for instance (just to pick an example), you won't get any better at running those 4 miles, but you will still burn the same number of calories on day 100 as you did on day 1. Your heart rate while running might decrease, which will lead most heart rate monitors to estimate that you are burning fewer calories, but that's because their formulas don't take into account improved cardiovascular fitness (your heart pumps more blood per beat as you build up CV fitness, so it takes fewer beats to deliver the same amount of oxygen, and your muscles get better at using oxygen). At a certain point you'll no longer make further adaptations unless you push yourself harder, but that has nothing to do with the calories you metabolize for the activity (leaving aside activities where improvements in form can dramatically increase efficiency).

I'm not really into strength training right now, but I do a basic bodyweight routine a couple times a week. I'm not increasing reps or difficulty, so I'm not getting stronger. But I'm not getting weaker either!

As for working out every day, it's not a problem as long as they're not all intense days. You should allow at least one day of rest between strength training bouts for the same muscles, so if you do legs on Monday, wait until Wednesday. That's why lots of people alternate upper and lower body workouts, or pushing and pulling workouts.

There's no problem with daily cardio. Just keep most of it moderate. Running is a possible exception, since it is high impact, but you mention cycling, which is lower impact. I'm usually doing something every day, but sometimes it's just a brisk walk, like today.

Thank you! This post was very informative and helpful! I think I'll stick with my cycling, then, since I enjoy it pretty well. Thanks, again!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think it's always a good thing to mix up your exercise routine if you can. If you like working out indoors there are a lot of fitness routines for a cardio workout where you are only using your own body weight.. (Insanity is just one name that comes to mind...Google it for others). You only need to have rest days if you are doing intense workouts or weight training as others have said. If you are feeling sore or weak you should let your muscles recover.

If you are up to it don't plan your cheat day. If it happens it happens...but always log it. That way you know just how much you cheat. And try to only do a cheat meal here or there.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,002 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I exercise every day. Not the same quantity and intensity, but something active every day. Some days might be a 30 min walk ... other days might be a 2 hour walk ... other days might be a 2 or 3 or more hour bicycle ride.

I work in an office and end up spending 8+ hours a day sitting. "They" say it is a good idea to get up and move around frequently throughout the day, that sitting all day long is not healthy. So, I walk a bit on my way to and from work, and I walk at lunch. I also try to do something in the evening.

It is a really nice break to get out for 30 min at lunch and walk around in the sunshine and fresh air. It gets the blood flowing a bit and clears the head. :)
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day as well. But I don't do weights all the time. Mainly walking and circuit training. Reason why is because I don't work right now. I am always on my butt on the computer! lol Not gonna work until I lose all my weight (supposed to lose it all in a year and a half my trainer consultant said)