Need some input

Hi All! I'm wondering how important it is to go join a gym or if I can go it with stuff I already have. I have an exercise bike, an ab coaster, a few weights. I wonder whether making a commitment to a gym ie paying dues, will get me motivated to get active and therefore lose weight?

Replies

• VyseN
    VyseN Posts: 32 Member
    If you are able to motivate yourself to work out at home, I don't see why not. The problem usually ends up being that it's way too easy to procrastinate your workouts if your gym equipment is in your own house. If you pay for a gym membership, and you're anything like me, the money spent is motivation enough to actually go to the gym and get your money's worth. Not working out at home is too easy, and I like to relax when I'm at home.
  • jsbarrett3
    jsbarrett3 Posts: 4 Member
    I think having a partner in crime is one of the most important things. If you have someone to go to the gym with, or to meet you at home that's key. You can have a membership and still not use it. We've all been there. If you have a strong support system, then you have someone to motivate you wherever you are!
  • saintboy
    saintboy Posts: 1 Member
    I would agree with the two comments above. If you can motivate yourself to do it, then there is no reason to join a gym but having someone to work out with can provide additional motivation to go if you do join or if you need that kind of accountability. With that said, the biggest benefit I find from going to a gym (I'm a student so it's included with my tuition except in the summer when I join a gym for that time) is there are exercises I can do at the gym I can't do at home. At some point, depending upon your goals, you'll find the weights you have at home aren't enough and you'll be forced to either join a gym or buy more weights. Most gyms have a free introduction to the gym and will allow a day of free access so you can try it out which I highly recommend. Brace yourself, you're going to get pressured into buying a membership while you're there but if you can deal with it, the free trial is a good way to see if you need to join right now or you can wait. Plus, if you have enough gyms in your area, you can get a week or two of free workouts. BONUS!!! What's a good home alternative to the gym? Check out the plethora of 7 minute workouts on youtube.