Too much fat in my diet

Options
ive recently started IIFYM (if it fits your macros) but whilst I'm able to hit carbs and protein most days I'm always over on fat by at least half my allowance, I don't feel like I want to lessen my carbs/protein to allow for this extra fat as I feel these allowances work for me

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    fat/protein are minimums so as long as you are hitting your minimums it is OK to go over on fats….

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    fat/protein are minimums so as long as you are hitting your minimums it is OK to go over on fats….

x2
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    As long as you're still staying within your caloric limits and getting your other nutrients and vitamins I don't see any problems with being over on fat. Do you still have energy? Do you feel full and satisfied? If a higher fat diet works for you, I don't see any need to necessarily fix something that's not broken. People generally say to avoid high fat diets and correlate them to things such as heart disease because most people who consume lots of fat also consume lots of calories (more than they need at least, since fats have more calories per gram), and being overweight leads to these things, not necessarily how much fat they consume.

If you decide for whatever reason you wish to limit your fat intake, I would suggest first looking at your diary and determining the biggest sources of it. Maybe switch to lower fat dairy? Mix half cup of egg whites with an egg instead of using several eggs? Use lower fat dressings/mayonnaise?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm not understanding how you hit your protein and carb target and the surpass fat by at least half and not blow your caloric allowance. Something is not adding up.

This.

Also, I'm not sure what you are asking? For tips on how to eat less fat? What are your numbers and what's the culprit for the extra fat?
  • madmaddox719
    madmaddox719 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding how you hit your protein and carb target and the surpass fat by at least half and not blow your caloric allowance. Something is not adding up.
    Yes I do go over but I don't worry about that as I'm still trying to find what works best for me calorie-wise I'm just looking for ways to cut out some of the fat which would in turn stop me going over, or over as much, I've been on a very low calorie diet for some time as that is what I was advised but I am drained and clearly not going to make any progress. I've just started to play with the idea IIFYM and am finding what will work
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    ive recently started IIFYM (if it fits your macros) but whilst I'm able to hit carbs and protein most days I'm always over on fat by at least half my allowance, I don't feel like I want to lessen my carbs/protein to allow for this extra fat as I feel these allowances work for me

I agree if it is working for you keep it up. Since eating fat is not what makes most of us fat but it is the carbs you may be OK. My fat macro is at 80% so I keep the carbs very low to lower my body pain and cure the long term IBS.

• madmaddox719
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This.

Also, I'm not sure what you are asking? For tips on how to eat less fat? What are your numbers and what's the culprit for the extra fat?
    I'm new to IIFYM and haven't fully grasped it yet. My fat just adds up from my meals I have not yet found meals which work. I'm basically asking for what sorts of things IIFYM people eat which is low enough in fat.
  • madmaddox719
    Options
    After looking at my diary my main fat intake comes from my meat, avocados and the granola I use so I will be changing that in my next shop! As for meat I don't eat chicken or turkey so I guess I'll just have to change my cooking method and find some leaner cuts.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Man. I need more fat in my diet. Gimme some.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    After looking at my diary my main fat intake comes from my meat, avocados and the granola I use so I will be changing that in my next shop! As for meat I don't eat chicken or turkey so I guess I'll just have to change my cooking method and find some leaner cuts.

I almost guessed that--it's really common when people try to up protein to accidently up fat too.

I really like whole eggs, but that's one reason people use egg whites along with their whole eggs, or love chicken breast and turkey and fish so much--good lean sources of protein. There are other lean cuts you can find, though, and I tend to use lots of low fat dairy (as I like it), like cottage cheese and greek yogurt at 1 or 2% fat.

(I do 30% fat overall.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Op you are not understanding iifym ...fat is a minimum so if you go over it is ok...and fat does not make you fat , too many calories do
  • hgycta
    Options

I always try to purchase lean meats whenever possible (I aim for around 93% lean ground beef). Tuna fish, turkey, and chicken breasts are wonderful choices! Avocados are a great source of healthy fats, too, so it's okay to keep these things in your diary, but maybe eat less of them? Instead of making a big serving your meal, maybe try just 4-6 ounces of meat and load up on other things such as veggies, beans, and other sides that are nutrient dense and high in fiber. Granola I try to avoid because most brands are high in calories and sugar, so if possible I would recommend substituting this with some homemade oatmeal made with low-fat milk or water, and some fruit bits or nuts added in for extra flavor if needed, just be mindful of your portions - one serving of nuts is about a shot glass. I also have found some dry cereal to make for a great, lower calorie snack you can munch mindlessly on, and it's very easy and convenient to pack in a bag!
  • hazsean
    hazsean Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try quorn products! Very very low in fat, high in protein and personally have more taste! Obviously saturated fat is not good and you want to keep poly and mono on the low side! You can hit your daily calorie needs but if you are going way way over on fat (especially if a good portion of it is saturated) you will gain weight! Quorn is a good answer for your meat needs!
  • madmaddox719
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Op you are not understanding iifym ...fat is a minimum so if you go over it is ok...and fat does not make you fat , too many calories do
    Yes I'm new to this, whilst I still feel I could cut it down this information is very useful and appreciated, I was thinking this was meant to be the less stressful version, so hearing I can treat fat the same as protein in term of getting the right amount is great news! Thank you!
  • madmaddox719
    Options
    hazsean wrote: »
    Try quorn products! Very very low in fat, high in protein and personally have more taste! Obviously saturated fat is not good and you want to keep poly and mono on the low side! You can hit your daily calorie needs but if you are going way way over on fat (especially if a good portion of it is saturated) you will gain weight! Quorn is a good answer for your meat needs!

I have t used quorn in a while I used to live on it! Maybe I need to go back to that!
  • hgycta
    Options
    hazsean wrote: »

I actually disagree with part of this. I agree with the part that saturated fat is not necessarily ideal and you should be careful with your fat consumption as it can make staying within your caloric goals more difficult, but the poly and mono fats are actually the liquid fats such as oil, and should be the ones more sought after (although your avocado has plenty of these)! Also, a high fat diet won't make you gain weight; a high calorie diet will make you gain weight. A high fat diet can seem less satisfying since the portions will likely be much smaller than something more nutrient dense and high in protein, but if your goal is weight loss your #1 concern should be finding foods that make hitting your caloric goal more attainable.