Cleansing?

Options
Is cleansing just a short term weight loss solution? It's pretty much crash dieting right? I've hit a plateau. I've adjusted my portions for meals and cut back on a lot of sugar. I run 4 times a week and do some cross training.. Nothing seems to work anymore. Just curious if cleansing is a bad idea

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Yes it's just a gimmick. Waste of your time. And absolutely ridiculous.
    Are your weighing everything you consume with a food scale? How long have you been stalled?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Depends what you mean by it, what it is and what you expect it to do.

The term 'cleansing' is likely to be misleading as our bodies do not need cleansing (well, outside of personal hygiene that is). We do not need to detox either unless we have a drug addiction.

How long have you been stuck at the same weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A good shower is the only cleansing needed. A weight loss cleanse is just nonsense and won't help weight loss. If you're having trouble losing weight work on the accuracy of your logging.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have already figured out that it isn't going to do much for your long term goals (and, yes, it is a crash diet). Weight your food, you are likely eating more than you think, and keep moving. If you don't have a ton to lose/are only trying to lose 1/2lb pre week, then it can take weeks for it to show on the scale thanks to normal fluctuations from water weight, etc. Last year I had the scale reading the same for almost 6wks straight, then suddenly dropped 8lbs and started having the scale slowly tick down like you would expect. Weight loss is definitely not linear.
  • Megansw
    Megansw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at the same weight for about a month. Well it's weird, I'll weight less and then back to the same weight. I haven't seen any significant change in my weight. I know this doesn't just happen over night. I do not scale everything I eat.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Megansw wrote: »
    I've been stuck at the same weight for about a month. Well it's weird, I'll weight less and then back to the same weight. I haven't seen any significant change in my weight. I know this doesn't just happen over night. I do not scale everything I eat.

You should scale everything you can to ensure you're not eating too many calories.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Well I would start by getting a food scale. Eyeballing portions isn't accurate. The more weight we lose, the less room for error we have. When I first started, I could eyeball portions and still lose weight. But now, I have very little room to work with so need to be as accurate as possible. Your likely eating more then you think.
  • Megansw
    Options
    shinisize wrote: »
    It sounds like you have already figured out that it isn't going to do much for your long term goals (and, yes, it is a crash diet). Weight your food, you are likely eating more than you think, and keep moving. If you don't have a ton to lose/are only trying to lose 1/2lb pre week, then it can take weeks for it to show on the scale thanks to normal fluctuations from water weight, etc. Last year I had the scale reading the same for almost 6wks straight, then suddenly dropped 8lbs and started having the scale slowly tick down like you would expect. Weight loss is definitely not linear.

Ok thank you. I don't have that much left to lose. I should start weighing my food, I'm usually pretty busy and don't have time. I guess I'm just impatient with my body.
  • Megansw
    Options
    I own a food scale already. I usually don't have time to scale everything out. I'll just make time. :)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    A cleanse gets all the poop out of your intestines. It's absolutely necessary before a colonoscopy (exam of your guts with a little camera) but useless for long-term weight loss.