Losing 100 lbs to join the military

I am a veteran of the army and I would like to rejoin. My life as a civilian has left a lot to be desired. I've been diagnosed with depression. The doctors attribute it to my feeling worthless. The military gave me purpose. With that depression came the weight gain. In 2006 when I joined I was at 175. It's 2015 and I'm 285. 110 lbs over my healthy weight. Last year I weighed my peak at 318. I started walking more and getting more water. I changed my diet. No candy or sweets. 33 lbs down. Now I'm stuck. I really don't know what else I can do. I have no kitchen to cook in so my meal options are truly limited. Can anyone help?

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    You may want to work on your fitness as well as losing weight. Since you were in the Army you know what the PT requirements are going to be. You may want to add some cardio work, work out with weights, or add some sit ups, pull ups, etc to your exercise routine. Even adding some running to your walking routine or try speed walking, it's a lot less stressful on the joints.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Brother you need to bust through a plateau, so up the workout for a week doing something you don't normally do. I did 600 reps of various cable pulls and that blew me right through the first plateau.

I empathize with the purpose driven life, but there are other means to achieving this other than the military. I went through the same when I left and decided my family was my purpose. There are some great organizations looking for people like you, whether it be military, youth organizations, spiritual organizations, etc.

I believe you are on the right track with weight loss in that there needs to be some higher goal, you just haven't found yours yet. Don't stop looking.
  • TimJ1002
    TimJ1002 Posts: 2 Member
    Water. When I was trying to lose weight before Navy boot, I drank at least a gallon of water a day. I've started doing it again now also.
  • scorpiocasanova
    scorpiocasanova Posts: 5 Member
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    You may want to work on your fitness as well as losing weight. Since you were in the Army you know what the PT requirements are going to be. You may want to add some cardio work, work out with weights, or add some sit ups, pull ups, etc to your exercise routine. Even adding some running to your walking routine or try speed walking, it's a lot less stressful on the joints.
    thank you so much for your input. I am doing mostly cardio now. I am well aware of the PT requirement. The 100% mark on all events is my ultimate goal. Not totally the weight loss. What do you think about the couch to 5k program?

• scorpiocasanova
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Brother you need to bust through a plateau, so up the workout for a week doing something you don't normally do. I did 600 reps of various cable pulls and that blew me right through the first plateau.

I empathize with the purpose driven life, but there are other means to achieving this other than the military. I went through the same when I left and decided my family was my purpose. There are some great organizations looking for people like you, whether it be military, youth organizations, spiritual organizations, etc.

I believe you are on the right track with weight loss in that there needs to be some higher goal, you just haven't found yours yet. Don't stop looking.

Thank you for your inspiring words. I will continue to search for my purpose and I think the military can give me the focus to find it.
  • scorpiocasanova

TimJ1002 wrote: »
    Water. When I was trying to lose weight before Navy boot, I drank at least a gallon of water a day. I've started doing it again now also.
    Wow a gallon a day? Is there a formula that says how much I should be drinking. How long before you stop bloating and the weight comes off?

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    About .5oz of each lb you weigh. I'm at 226, and intake ~16 x 8oz = 128oz/day.

Helps control your appetite and kicks your metabolism a bit.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    You got this!! Thank you for your service.
  • irenediamondprincess
    irenediamondprincess Posts: 3 Member
    Google water calculator input height and weight it will give you your recommended water intake
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    edited May 2015
    Not my area of expertise but I have an idea...Is there a local recruitment office? Perhaps they can hook you up with others in the area who are also training? Nothing like a running planking push up jumping jack buddy to share in the *joy* and kick your booty in gear! I know some folks that are out of service that LOVE the extreme bootcamps and challenges...and also do stuff like squats and lunges and crunches and such all day long. Waiting in line? Squat it out! Walking to the car? Lunge challenge. Stuck in traffic? Crunch time. Looks a little silly to be, but the results are undeniable and those are not the workouts just regular activity
  • scorpiocasanova
    Not my area of expertise but I have an idea...Is there a local recruitment office? Perhaps they can hook you up with others in the area who are also training? Nothing like a running planking push up jumping jack buddy to share in the *joy* and kick your booty in gear! I know some folks that are out of service that LOVE the extreme bootcamps and challenges...and also do stuff like squats and lunges and crunches and such all day long. Waiting in line? Squat it out! Walking to the car? Lunge challenge. Stuck in traffic? Crunch time. Looks a little silly to be, but the results are undeniable and those are not the workouts just regular activity

I've tried the local recruiters but they take one look at me and say no way. Maybe it's NY. How do you do crunches in your car?