Any college kids out there?

Options
I'm going to be a sophomore in the fall. It's nice to be out of the house and making my own choices, but making healthy choices is hard when you're super stressed! >.<

If there are any college-goers in need of encouragement out there, you are not alone! Let's do this together!

<33 A common housecat.

Replies

• swbernstel
    swbernstel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm a senior engineering student and sometimes healthy food is that last thing on my mind. I'm more than happy to share some encouragement.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was the stress of college that caused me to gain weight.... I think it was the drinking and pledging a sorority and just generally living that lifestyle.
    My freshman year I started drinking (never had before) and didn't realize that I would get intense fried food cravings. There were nights I would pretty much inhale a 2ft cheese steak and wake up the next morning next to the wrapper.... An awkward morning lol.
    After pledging a sorority I had gained 50 pounds from the time I started college. Currently I'm 20 pounds less than that, but I still think I'm holding on to some of that excess fat I gained almost 5 years ago.

However, I can see stress having a factor in it. Sometimes I would just sit in the cafeteria all day because I didn't feel like walking back to my house, so I'd eat college cafeteria food all day. Not good. There was also a chick-fil-a in my college that was open until 2am.

So it is a total pain to lose weight in college, but the summer after my freshman year I dropped the 50 pounds pretty quickly by just cutting out late night eating, binge drinking, and binge eating. Of course when the next semester came I gained back 30 pounds of it, but was happy I was under 200 and haven't gone up above it since.
  • emr0004
    emr0004 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am getting my masters degree and didn't gain my "freshman 15" until just this past year. I got on the scales today and weighed the most I've EVER weighed, and it's depressing. I'm back at it again tomorrow, after losing and gaining 5 lbs since new years...it's time to get on track (and this time for good!)
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i'll be a junior in the fall, college dieting is soooo tough!!!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Headed back to college this fall to finish up my associates degree.
  • common_housecat
    Options
    That's great about the weight loss! I'm not much of a party-er so I haven't had any of those experiences -- At leat you had fun!

And I would gain 500 pounds if there was a Chick-fil-a in my college. No lie.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    God stress eating.... due to college stuff...... This is my senior year, I'll be graduating in December, early. Then going on to work on my masters. But anyway, this semester was my WORST one ever. I had three graduate math courses, and normal undergrad stuff. When I'm a graduate I'll just be taking those three math courses, so being an undergrad doing that with other stuff was ridiculous. But anyway, on a scale of 1 - 10, when I'm stressed from like 5 - 8, I stress eat. When I get up to 9 and 10, I don't eat. I just forget because I am SO worried about other stuff I don't even think about it. It's actually kind of ridiculous, and is even worse for me overall. Sheesh. This is crazy! So I feel ya!
  • common_housecat
    Options
    emr0004 -- It's tough looking at the highest weight ever. Not a good feeling at all. But you can look back on it and laugh soon enough!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Just graduated a couple of days ago and some of the things that I found that seemed to work was having healthy foods in my room. I would go to the store and get microwavable veggies and microwavable rice. I would also have cereals, milk, string cheese, yogurt, granola bars and fruit. While at the dining commons I stayed clear of the pizza and the burgers and fries section. I started with a salad first so it would fill me up a bit and I would get my vegetables in and then I would choose like pasta, a sandwich, or i would make a stirfry with steamed veggies and rice.

With drinking I did crystal light and vodka, or diet coke and rum. If I was going out I would save some calories for the "going out food and drinks" or would exercise earlier in the day to give me the allotted calories or close enough to it.
  • SilentRenegade
    Options
    For me I found that a kind of competition on losing weight helped me a lot because I'm competitive with almost everything. Most of the girls in my sorority house had a weight problem and we decided to play "biggest loser" that summer. Every week we had to put a dollar in a jar and at the end of the summer whoever had lost the most weight would win the jar. The only issues I can see looking back on it was some of us were so competitive we would attempt to sabotage each other's diets by bringing in cakes and beer to the house and setting it on the counter. Also towards the end, we got a little rough about it. Binge/purge, starving ourselves and taking diet pills.

I would not go back to doing that type of competition. However, I do think that having a buddy or two to lose weight with really helps. My mom is also trying to lose weight currently and it's been a great motivation to keep me going even if I hit walls. And I know she is not going to be throwing up on purpose :)
  • common_housecat
    Options
    Wow! That's harsh. D:

At least now you have healthy motivation and support. I'm lucky that my sister is doing it with me. ^^ But once I go back to school it's going to be super tough because none of my friends are dieting.
  • SilentRenegade
    Options
    Do you have a gym at your college? My college had a really nice two story gym that was included in tuition, I just didn't take advantage of it when I had the chance... and it was literally right across from my dorm room. It was just getting the motivation and energy to do it. I regret partying so much my first two years at college for a multitude of reasons. It's hard to go to the gym when you're hungover and tired from drinking until 3am :-\
    I also felt self conscious going there at times because all of the athletes were in there and seemed to know what they were doing, especially compared to me.
  • common_housecat
    Options
    Yes we do have a great gym! I went to it a few times. The same thing happened with me -- the athletes kinda intimidated me. I felt silly plodding along, not really knowing what I was doing. But I'm going to have to get over it next semester. I have just as much right to be there as they do!
  • SilentRenegade
    Options
    Yeah that's the attitude I have now with any gym. I do prefer in home workouts though just because my work schedule is evil retail scheduling. I've been working on Insanity. Unfortunately I fell off of a horse last weekend and have bruised ribs and a messed up shoulder... but I'm going to try and get back into it, just maybe not put the pushups so hard.
    It's hard to do those types of workouts in a dorm room though, at least mine was super small. Everybody needs to find what works for them. Sometimes when I felt up to it I'd jog around campus and that was a good workout as well.
  • jbrod19
    jbrod19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! i'm going to be a junior in college in the fall and i had the same exact problem. i definitely gained weight from drinking! i would eat well and work out, but i still gained weight because i went out (drank alcohol) 3-4 times a week! this summer i'm trying to cut down on the alcohol so hopefully that will help me lose weight! feel free to add me!
  • common_housecat
    Options
    Ouch. I hope you recover soon. :(

I tried to do a video in my dorm room once... I felt really awkward. I wondered if any of my neighbors were suspicious of the noises coming out of my room, you know. The hopping around and such.

When I get back to school I'll probably jog around. I'm doing c25k right now so I should be in shape enough to jog on all of the hills by August. ^^
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    me stressed with school = constant eating even when I'm not hungry!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    College is pretty stressful for me. Studying all the time was something that I didn't enjoy doing. This lead to me eating, even though I was nowhere near hungry. Well, I have summer classes to take starting June 6. Time to find the strength to endure another stressful semester.
  • kristina0206
    Options
    I just graduated a week ago, and it is so hard to look back at my horrible habits during the past few years. I definitely agree that the drinking is what did me in! I was fine freshman/sophomore year, but as soon as I turned 21, the options were limitless, especially since I live in downtown Chicago. Not only was I consuming at least 700 calories a night in just drinks alone, there comes the drunk food, which I don't even want to get into!

It's so tough because I can barely pinpoint a specific time that I noticed myself gaining weight. I feel like I just woke up one day 20 pounds heavier.

Since I just graduated and am jobless (bittersweet), I have plenty of time to workout, but also plenty of time to eat ughhhh

Please feel free to add me, I love reciprocating support to my fellow party animals :)
  • wackedoutpet13
    wackedoutpet13 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a first year college student and binging in the dining hall was/is a huge temptation for me. Hoping to get my act together. :)

Feel free to add me, I need more MFP friends!