I finally figured out how to sync my fitbit to mfp, but

Options
now I have a question.
Since mfp is showing a fitbit calorie adjustment, does that mean I no longer have to log my exercise on mfp? I logged todays exercise, then later in the day figured out how to sync. Am I doubling up now? TIA. :)

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time, so there's never any double dipping.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Any additional exercise I do (not my walking) I log on MFP and then it all syncs up on fitbit.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes, only log on MFP. :)
  • Healthylife4us4
    Healthylife4us4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hmm ok thx. I think I'll use the Fitbit. I have a surge and I can pick from different exercise categories. (Not sure if they all do that) I pretty sure it double posted on mfp because my Fitbit website had my exercises double posted. Thanks everyone! :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Yes, only log on MFP.

I log exercise in Fitbit. It'll take trial & error to find which you prefer.

If you want your Fitbit exercise to appear in your newsfeed, post a status update.
  • Healthylife4us4
    Options
    Thanks again. I just read the link you provided. I think I'm more confused than ever. Lol
    I think you're right though. Trial and error, I'll figure it out. :)
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok, if you're using the Surge, you've got three options.

1) Track your exercise with the Surge, and not on MFP. MFP will still count your calories burned in the exercise correctly due to the calorie adjustment from Fitbit, however your exercise won't appear in your MFP diary.

2) Same as option 1, but manually enter the exercise as a diary entry in MFP (not as an exercise).

3) This is the option I use. Sync your fitbit account with a third party app that syncs with MFP. I use Strava for this. This causes my exercise (as long as it uses GPS) to sync to Strava, which in turn Syncs it back to MFP. The calorie calculation for the exercise will differ between MFP and Fitbit, but that doesn't matter, as the Fitbit will correct it via the final MFP calorie adjustment. The downside with this is that it also causes MFP to copy the exercise back to Fitbit, creating a duplicate entry in your fitbit account that needs to be deleted. However, I find deleting this duplicate easier than creating manual entries in MFP, so that's what I do...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    As I said above, this is what I do. It's the simplest:
    cyronius wrote: »
    1) Track your exercise with the Surge, and not on MFP. MFP will still count your calories burned in the exercise correctly due to the calorie adjustment from Fitbit, however your exercise won't appear in your MFP diary.

I lost the weight & have maintained for almost a year by trusting my Fitbit.

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • editorgrrl
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks again. I just read the link you provided. I think I'm more confused than ever. Lol
    I think you're right though. Trial and error, I'll figure it out. :)

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). Your MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn & your MFP activity level.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, then eating your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    ...by trusting my Fitbit.

That's what I do as well. I just like having the exercise summary come across to MFP too :)

• Healthylife4us4
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I'm just using the Fitbit for exercise and mfp for food journal. So far it's working out. ☺️
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    now I have a question.
    Since mfp is showing a fitbit calorie adjustment, does that mean I no longer have to log my exercise on mfp? I logged todays exercise, then later in the day figured out how to sync. Am I doubling up now? TIA. :)

I do not log any step based exercises in either Fitbit or MFP. The Fitbit calorie adjustment is pretty accurate so logging it also seems redundant. If you do, just log it in one place (either Fitbit or MFP) and make sure you have the start time and duration correct. That way you do not get more credit than you actually did.