late night snacking

Options
what is the reasoning behind avoiding late night snacking or eating. sometimes i can't help but to eat late b/c i get off of work late. would this hinder your weight loss goals??

7345259.png
For Foods

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    The only real problem with late night snacking is eating and then going to bed right after. Eating bad food, then being lethargic/sleeping causes your body to just store it as unused fat! I work until 3-4am daily, so I am the same way, however try to eat better foods or small amounts later at night so it doesn't hurt. If you can go without, or just have some fruits or a small healthy snack, it is way better for you than grabbing fast food as I did for years :)
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it's calories in vs. calories out. So, as long as you're not adding extra calories on top of a full day, then you should be okay. Also, it's best to avoid carbs (even fruits...yes, those are carbs) within the few hours when you do go to bed. The science (which is all weight loss really is) behind that is whatever carbs are not used up as energy during your day are stored as fat. Therefore, you'd want protein as a snack late at night (I'm a fan of peanuts and low-carb yogurts).
    Good luck! : )
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    it is ultimately calories in calories out but try to eat healthier things at night, like a nice big salad. Something that will fill you up but not sit in your stomach all night
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    eating late at night DEFINITELY hindered my weight loss. once i cut it out i finally started losing weight (after months of not losing anything). so unless you're in a serious calorie deficit and you're close to starving, i'd say try to avoid eating right before bed at all costs. buuuuut if you do need to eat something stick with lean protein and veggies, protein calories will get burned after your body's stored carb and fat calories. that's what my trainer told me anyway :P
  • kozlinski40
    kozlinski40 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Its depends on what you are eating. If you consume something late make sure its low in carbohydrate. if you decide to eat carbs make sure they are slow acting carbs. try to avoid fast acting carbs at night. this spike your insulin levels too much. this cause the body to store these calories as body fat. try some yogurt, cottage cheese or a bowl of plain oatmeal. if you can't eat oatmeal sprinkle some ciinnamon on it or add some strawberries or blueberriesto it. give that a try. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    what is the reasoning behind avoiding late night snacking or eating. sometimes i can't help but to eat late b/c i get off of work late. would this hinder your weight loss goals??

7345259.png
    For Foods

your body in terms of food does not tell time, if you are going to eat late and then hit the hay, I would try and make sure that your meal or snack is something that will help fuel your resting burn since you will be in active for a long period of time after eating....its not about when, its about what,,,,,ALWAYS!!!!