Horrified!

Options
Knobee
Knobee Posts: 3 Member
I've been asked by my healthcare provider to do a bit better at taking care of myself -- drop some weight, become more active, eat better, etc...

I grabbed MyFitnessPal and did all the setup.. only to discover that my breakfast had taken over 1/3 of my available calories for the day... Arrgggghhhh..

Yes, I have a long way to go, but I'm now taking the first step on a million mile walk.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking control!

Now, what are you stats? height/weight etc. and how many calories is MFP giving you?
    How many calories was the breakfast? What was it?
  • Knobee
    Knobee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    230# @ 6' - My problem is that my breakfast is ... McDonald's. I just have to do better. 8-)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Calorie logging tends to be a rude awakening for most people. I discovered that my standard meal at Wendy's, just one meal, took up the entirety of my calories for the day. It explained a lot!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Knobee wrote: »
    230# @ 6' - My problem is that my breakfast is ... McDonald's. I just have to do better. 8-)

Yeah, that can be hard to fit in, consistently.
    Just be sure you're giving yourself *enough* calories.
    At your height/weight you can't do 1200 or some such low number.

Have a look at the infamous "sexy pants" thread. It's a great reference for new starters.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck!
  • jwsfzr600
    jwsfzr600 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi, I do things different then most. First thing you can't out run a bad diet. Here was my start up plan.
    first 30 days work on your diet and go for a walk everyday. After the 30 days add more exercise.
    For me it was easier to make small changes to my life. Then one big one.
    And one more thing. If you are out with friends they will offer you cake or snacks. It's okay to say no. But they will offer you one more time. You will have to say no 2 times. If they push after that. They are not your friend. Good luck
  • charloec100
    charloec100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hello, am also new here, l was horrified too to know that when l calculated my BMI, l am obese. I have asthma and because l have gained weight, l get attacks more frequently, l walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes daily and am still trying to work on my diet.
    We can do this, one day at a time!
  • CarlGleave
    CarlGleave Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well done for acknowledging you have a problem, that's the hardest bit out the way having that moment of clarity is what will take you to where you want to be, you just need to keep remembering that. I'm happy to be a shoulder to lean on a long the way
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place :) It gets easier
  • femax
    femax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also new to My Fitness Pal. I actually am doing the Shaklee 180 Program, which I started a week ago Wednesday. Since that time, I have lost 8.8 lbs. and 3.5 inches. As a senior citizen, I have basically dieted most of my adult life, having come to within 10 lbs. of my goal twice during that time. However, this time I finally have a motivation that I cannot ignore, since my radiologist "chewed" on me about my weight, and also told me the tumor that had recently been removed was estrogen positive, and that excess weight (I am definitely morbidly obese.) aggravates that type of tumor and often increases their growth. I MUST get this weight off!!!!
  • hoot5201
    hoot5201 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to say with the Shaklee 180 program and the MFP, you are definitely headed in the right direction. If you plateau, don't give up!
  • paulawoods59
    paulawoods59 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Knobee wrote: »
    I've been asked by my healthcare provider to do a bit better at taking care of myself -- drop some weight, become more active, eat better, etc...

I grabbed MyFitnessPal and did all the setup.. only to discover that my breakfast had taken over 1/3 of my available calories for the day... Arrgggghhhh..

Yes, I have a long way to go, but I'm now taking the first step on a million mile walk.