Trying to eat more veggies?

Options
I want to incorporate more natural, unprocessed food into my diet, but truth be told? I hate vegetables. How inconvenient, right? Most of them taste either dry or like grass in my opinion. It's so frustrating because I really want to make better health choices and it's like my body rejects it. Give me meat however and I could live off of it. If you have any advice on how to accept, or even like, healthier foods then please let me know. Thank you x

Replies

• shelbseroo
    shelbseroo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    All I can offer is to keep trying things and in different ways! I used to hate broccoli, but now I find I really enjoy it, particularly in homemade soup. I used to also really hate spinach and found it very, as you say, grassy/irony tasting. I started by cutting it into smaller pieces (like, think baby spinach cut into thirds) and putting it into omelettes/scrambled eggs, or even blending it into a fruit smoothie.

I also really loved mashed sweet potato with a bit of orange marmalade and butter stirred into it, or cut up peppers and low fat dip :)
  • LOVEisanopendoor123
    LOVEisanopendoor123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What I usually do to incorporate more veggies and fruit into my diet, is that I make smoothies. I make smoothies with both veggies and fruit, but make sure to use more veggies then fruit or you're just going to have to much sugar in your diet. I only have smoothies for breakfast so I can have a blast of energy to get me through the morning. If you don't want to do smoothies then you could juice the veggies and smoothies. If you want some of my recipes for smoothies you can always ask me. :)
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I dip my veggies in Walden Farms dressings... 0 cal/0 fat and they taste amazing! I love salad dressing, ranch all over everything, the walden farms brand is a game changer for me!
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Definitely recommend trying new ways to cook & eat said veggies... hunt for low cal recipes on Pinterest. such as (well this is low carb/gluten free): http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/09/twice-baked-cauliflower-recipe.html

Skinnytaste is another great low cal recipe blog: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/turkey-stuffed-zucchini-4-pts.html
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    or borrow this book from the library: http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X She shows how to cook then puree veggies to incorporate in mac n cheese, pasta sauce, mashed potatoes, etc. (more for kids, but you can figure how it would fit in to your eating plan.... as kind of a "hidden" ingredient)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Small portions of these strange things... These veggies...

I googled how to cook things right in the grocery store. If I saw a woman that looked like she had a family cart full of stuff I would very nicely ask if I may inquire as to what this veggie is good for and how to cook it

Spices of a good quality help! Coconut oil and sesame oil also add variety.

Watching Bobby Flay cooking shows helped too!

Now I know what Bok Choy is and how to season and cook it, or Napa cabbage, or kale, and fresh ginger!

This is the adventure part of eating healthy!

• aprilbarlow99
    aprilbarlow99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I'll try all of these tips!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Here is a great tip that you can implement for a variety of Green vegetables for a week's supply.

Big Pot Blanching

1. Vigorously boil 3-4 quarts of salted water (it should taste like the sea) in a 5-6 quart minimum capacity stock pot. Use of a tight fitting lid will help the water come to a boil quicker.

2. Add the green vegetables to a rolling boil and cook until there is still a crunch to the vegetables and they are not mushy. Broccoli only takes about 1 minute. Green beans, approx. 3 minutes. Kale, approx. 4 minutes. Snap peas may take less than 1 minute. Spinach is so delicate that it only takes 10 seconds.

3. After blanching, immediately shock the vegetables into a cold, ice-water bath to stop the cooking. This process will also rinse much of the salt off of the vegetables and capture a very attractive vibrant, green color (instead of that awful, Army green-brown color).

4. When the vegetables are cool, thoroughly drain and squeeze out the excess moisture if necessary. Store in a covered paper towel lined container for up to 4-5 days.

5. Eat as is, or toss into a preheated pan with hot olive oil with aromatics like fresh garlic, chopped shallots, as well as red pepper flake, kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try grilling veggies. Or roasting them:

nj0zihky24ay.jpg
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have found out my dislike for vegetables was actually how they were cooked. All growing up my mom would over cook them and they'd be mushy. I hate mushy foods. As I got older and started going to fine restaurants I noticed that I liked certain vegetables cooked certain ways. So now I have a wide selection of vegetables that I like cooked and seasoned the way I know I'm going to like them. So treat yourself to a really fine restaurant sometime and try out a vegetable you'd never think you'd like. You just might find out you like them after all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    try a variety of veggies...prepare veggies in a variety of ways
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a lot of soup. I find it the easiest way to get veggies down and quite low cal. You get some great meat veggie combinations. Soup over pasta as a sauce also works.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As other posters have already mentioned, grilling and roasting veggies makes them taste completely different! But also keep in mind that your taste buds "know what they like and like what they know." That is, they learn to like the food you regularly eat. If you start eating veggies regularly, your taste will eventually evolve to not hate them. You might not ever love them, but eating them won't be unpleasant.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd practice hiding them your meat, or in the dishes with meat, to start off. I have never liked veggies either. They comprise a huge portion of my diet now, cooked in as many ways I can think of - I still don't like veggies. It was not a matter of cooking, for me - I just really don't like the taste, or sometimes the texture.

I eat them because I have to, and I'll crave them, even, but I STILL don't like the taste. I don't expect I ever will. But thankfully, you can do things with sauces and salsas and such, to go with the food you do like, and that can make them more palatable.

Like ground meat - finely grated yellow squash is great to add to a hamburger patty. It cooks so soft you have no major texture to notice, but adds moisture so it makes the meat taste really juicy. I know one mom who used to puree carrots and add them to cheese sauces when she'd make mac and cheese. Or serve meats with roasted veggie sauces, or stuff burgers with them, add more veggies to bean dishes like chili, stir fry them (Asian sauces have so much flavor it can really hide the taste of the veggie - which I always liked, LOL). Just lots of options, you know?

• mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Are there any that you do like? If so pile them on.

We've had good experience with picking one veg at a time and trying to figure out a way that we like it. Roast it, steam it, stir fry, bbq. Try as many ways as you can think of. Try italian, chinese, lebanese, etc. Convince yourself that something works and find it. We did this w/ brussel sprouts and eggplant. There were some busts but we eat both now
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    As other posters have already mentioned, grilling and roasting veggies makes them taste completely different! But also keep in mind that your taste buds "know what they like and like what they know." That is, they learn to like the food you regularly eat. If you start eating veggies regularly, your taste will eventually evolve to not hate them. You might not ever love them, but eating them won't be unpleasant.

agreed...I'm lucky in that I seem to like most veggies...but roasting or grilling them with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper makes most extra-delicious.
  • happygolucky721
    happygolucky721 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pick a vegetable dish you like and google healthier versions of it (roasted instead of creamed green beans), ect.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you're not a fan, try adding grated veggies into sauces. My best friend does this all the time to trick her husband into eating a bit healthier! Also, you could try different veggies cut into sticks and eaten with some humus, or some homemade soups or smoothies if you enjoy those?
  • stewartcrl
    stewartcrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I dip my veggies in Walden Farms dressings... 0 cal/0 fat and they taste amazing! I love salad dressing, ranch all over everything, the walden farms brand is a game changer for me!
    I like this idea, where can I buy Walden Farm dressing ? I too hate vegetable but might manage to eat them if taste is disguised
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Curries and chillis are your friend here. I get through tonnes of veg making batch veg 'bases' then adding either more veg to the sauce or small bits of meat, beans etc.

I hate texture of celery but in a slow cooked with onion, bell peppers and tomatoes then whizzed up with chilli spices you'd never know ;-)