red plates

Just read an article that said if I eat off a red plate I will feel full and lose weight! ! Crazy ideas. ....any ore?? :

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    * more* :blush:
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    any more what? is there any truth to it? no. Small plates? yes, there is some validity to that. but red? nope
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Similar ones I've heard of are eating off a smaller plate and eating an apple/drinking a glass of water before each meal to trick yourself into eating less. Of course, even if it does make you eat less, there's not guarantee you'll actually be in a calorie deficit.
  • dawniemate
    efwolfcub wrote: »
    any more what? is there any truth to it? no. Small plates? yes, there is some validity to that. but red? nope
    Any more crazy ideas! !!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited June 2015
    efwolfcub wrote: »

not true - a recent study showed that red plates, or at least contrasting plate to food, can make you eat less.

http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/outreach/color_plate.html

The small plate thing also works - but not too small as then you may end up going for seconds and eating more in total.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Color plays an important role in how we respond to certain concepts. (Blue is more trust worthy, brown is more friendly, etc.) So, I find it believable that the color of the plate could change our perception of how much food is on the plate. Of course, none of that matters if someone is judging their portion sizes independent from the plate (using a scale, etc.). Once the food is on the plate, they may feel deprived with how few calories they can allow themselves to eat, or feel that they get to eat more than they thought, but the same amount of food would be consumed in both cases.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    I saw this on a documentary (I think secret eaters or possible food unwrapped) was it also not the contrast between food colours and the plates?

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    It's interesting to think about how colors can affect the mind. In college we talked about how different fast food chains picked their color schemes because it can make someone think they are hungry.

But if you over load the plate with food and can't see that the plate is still red, will it still work? :)
  • dawniemate
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Yes, the money you spend buying new plates will make less money for you to spend on food.

Lol so try :wink:

• dawniemate
    * true * damn predictive text !!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    I thought this post would be about the 25kg Olympic barbell plates... I definitely wouldn't eat off those. Probably dirty, too many nooks and crannies to lose food in, a hole in the middle.

But seriously, that's silly. I don't even notice the colour of my plates.

20130703afmCHISELED0042.jpg

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I thought this post would be about the 25kg Olympic barbell plates... I definitely wouldn't eat off those. Probably dirty, too many nooks and crannies to lose food in, a hole in the middle.

LOL!! Thanks for the laugh! Imagining a "gym picnic"...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »

That's what I thought it was going to be about too...
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Me 3!