Before Bed - Something Sweet

Options

Replies

• teresa_garcia29
    teresa_garcia29 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fat free cool whip and strawberries/blueberries. Crunch a sugar free Voortmans wafer on top. Done..!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Are you on a low carb diet or do you just think you're not supposed to eat carbs at night?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi

I like to save some of my calorie so that I can have something before bed. I know some people say it's best not to eat before bed, but I feel as long as I am within my daily calories it's fine. Do you agree?

Does anyone have any suggestions for something SWEET, never fancy savory at night. That isn't high in carbs. I normally have between 200-300 calories.

Also how many grams of carbs is considered low carb, suitable before bed?

I know I could have a protein shake but I don't like them also protein keeps me awake.

Thanks
    D

If you're in a calorie deficit, what you eat when doesn't matter. Just figure out what you like and eat it whenever you want.

I often like something sweet before bed as well. Tonight I had homemade chocolate bread pudding with Dannon coconut vanilla yogurt and cool whip - all portioned and weighed on the scale. I am so giddy now!

Why do want low carb?
  • SLLRunner
    edited June 2015
    Options
    NM. Misunderstood.
  • Dannilee2013
    Dannilee2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Are you on a low carb diet or do you just think you're not supposed to eat carbs at night?

I am not on a low carb diet, but I have always found that eating carbs at night stops me from losing. Even though I am within my daily calories. May not be the same for everyone but it keeps the weight on me. The moment I swap to low carb or protein at night (having the same calories), I lose again.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I am not on a low carb diet, but I have always found that eating carbs at night stops me from losing. Even though I am within my daily calories. May not be the same for everyone but it keeps the weight on me. The moment I swap to low carb or protein at night (having the same calories), I lose again.

This is not scientifically possible.
  • Dannilee2013
    Dannilee2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"5, 11st 2lb
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Nope, that is definitely not happening. More likely the carbs are just causing you to retain water weight, resulting in a slightly higher number on the scale next morning
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I also crave sweets in the evening, so my last 300 of the day usually go to a 120g can of greek yogurt with 30-50g of mashed banana and some berries on the top, which is around 150cal. And for the remaining ones I peel and cut myself an apple and a carrot and munch of those chips for the rest of the evening. I would also make myself a nice pot of herbal or oolong tea. These end up some very sweet, long lasting and satisfying 300 calories. Most of my dinners are like that and it doesn't seem to cause any problems with weight loss for me.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a piece of fruit, dried pineapple, small piece of dark chocolate, or a yogurt. Doesn't seem like a lot but it does help satisfy the craving at the end of the night.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant in weight loss (as is low carb unless you have certain health conditions, but that's another topic...). Anyway, I honestly don't know about carbs and chocolate, but I find a few squares of a high-quality chocolate to be particularly satisfying if I want a small something sweet. Also, someone else said Greek yogurt, which is pretty yummy (and high in protein!)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I also crave sweet before bed! My 'just in case' snack is a meringue nest; 50 calories.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You could try making hot chocolate with unsweetened cocoa powder, hot water, a small amount of milk (your choice, I use soy milk) and then a sweetener of your choice (I use Hermestas low GI granulated sweetener). The way I make it is about 40 calories with 2 grams of carbs. I find that sipping on hot chocolate at night while I watch a movie or tv helps keep me from reaching for snacks.
  • walker35223
    walker35223 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here are the sweets i use. I limit myself to 125 calories of sweets, and i have different combos of blowpops, smarties, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding cups, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, sugar free popsickles, small tootsie roll pops, and nestles chocolate chips. I also use sugar free werthams chocolate candy, and other sugar free hard candy. I also carry around a wintogreen sugar free lifesaver to stick in my mouth when i am through with a meal or i crave a sweet. I believe net calories rule, so dont worry about carbs.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

There is no way carbs stop a person from losing weight/fat, or even gaining weight/fat, but what they do cause is water retention. Water retention is temporary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Simple-carb-intense meals make me sleepy, so I like to save these for a pre-bedtime snack. I like oatmeal for this. I tweaked this so it is lower in carbs and higher in protein and fat: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/slow-cooker-apple-pie-steel-cut-oatmeal/ Sometimes I just eat a half portion. If I don't eat something before bed, I wake up at 3 AM hungry.

Here's another way I do oatmeal:

63028aeca71577cdf2c5680dfed7639e.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi

I like to save some of my calorie so that I can have something before bed. I know some people say it's best not to eat before bed, but I feel as long as I am within my daily calories it's fine. Do you agree?

Does anyone have any suggestions for something SWEET, never fancy savory at night. That isn't high in carbs. I normally have between 200-300 calories.

Also how many grams of carbs is considered low carb, suitable before bed?

I know I could have a protein shake but I don't like them also protein keeps me awake.

Thanks
    D

Yes, how many carbs is considered low carb? According to this, for 200 calories, anywhere under 22.5 - 32.5 carbs to much, much lower.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/150-carbs-per-day-still-considered-low-carb-7754.html

According to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, carbohydrates should make up 45 to 65 percent of a person's total daily calorie intake. Any amount less than this could be considered low carb. For someone consuming 2,000 calories a day, this is about 225 to 325 grams of carbohydrates per day. Most low-carb diets limit carbohydrate intake to between 50 to 150 grams per day, depending on the diet.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I have no idea about carbs but I pick dark chocolate with sea salt. Yum!!!!
    me too at any time!!
  • milligan013
    milligan013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    6 oz steak ?