Is it bad to eat potatoes every day?

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
I know I hear all these myths about losing weight, carbs, blah blah blah. I have also heard that eating potatoes every day is bad. I have no idea why.

I eat a yukon gold potato every day and sometimes twice a day (with meals) . I was finding my meals (protein plus veggies, not much grain) was leaving me hungry soon after until I started eating potatoes with it.

So, is this bad in any way? I am assuming no because I'm within my calorie amounts and have a deficit but would like to double check.

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    No, potatoes are perfectly healthy and theres no reason not to enjoy them if they fit in your calories/macros :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I know I hear all these myths about losing weight, carbs, blah blah blah. I have also heard that eating potatoes every day is bad. I have no idea why.

I eat a yukon gold potato every day and sometimes twice a day (with meals) . I was finding my meals (protein plus veggies, not much grain) was leaving me hungry soon after until I started eating potatoes with it.

So, is this bad in any way? I am assuming no because I'm within my calorie amounts and have a deficit but would like to double check.

No, it's fine. They're dense with nutrients too.

Caloric deficit will be most important factor in weight loss.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Why would something natural that contain protein fat carbs and fiber be bad to eat every Day?

Moderation is key

Only problem is if you eat like 2kg a day and that makes you go over calories and you gain lots of weight

Then again some people could fit 1 or 2kg into a diet and still look great depending on there energy burn

• Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add

8lZAkjs.gif
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    No, it's not bad.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm within my calorie amounts

This is the part that matters.

• faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nah, the potato itself isn't unhealthy. Its the stuff we load it with and cook it in - fats, oils, etc, in the form of fried or heavy cooking methods. Example: double deep fried french fries loaded with full fat mayo, guac, sour cream, etc etc.

Billions of people eat the so-called 'unhealthy' white rice and breads every single day and they have lower obesity rates that most in the western world. So it really boils down to how you cook your food and the portion sizes, really.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only problem with potatoes is that your average potato is heavier than the 148g stated on the labels so it's very easy to eat too many calories when you don't weigh them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    As long as you're accurately weighing and logging them, you're fine. There's a study somewhere about potatoes being one of the most satiating foods.

They're my personal favorite starch.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Are all the Irish dead? If it were bad to eat potatoes then the entire population of Ireland would be dead. Potatoes are the staple food of the Irish diet and it didn't kill anyone. The famine killed because there was no potatoes not because people ate potatoes.
    No food is bad for you if you eat it in small portions.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    Options
    I ate potatoes everyday and just got a speeding ticket, so no, not good to eat every day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No food group is bad, its all about eating less calories than you burn.

and FYI I'm Irish too, we USED to love our potatoes but these days most of us prefer pasta/rice...just saying :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why on earth would potatoes be bad for you????????
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    They're fine, unless you're diabetic and can't process the carbs normally.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Boiled potatoes with greek jogurt and some spices rock.......... keep eating them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    cclepew wrote: »
    They're fine, unless you're diabetic and can't process the carbs normally.

I'm not diabetic, but I'm pretty sure most diabetics can eat potatoes if they combine them with protein and fat.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

The only reason for the advice to not eat something every day, is to ensure variety. Varity and balance is important for health, and satiety is one indication of a good diet. Looks as you are doing just fine.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why on earth would potatoes be bad for you????????

Because potato=carbs=sugar=the devil!

Sheesh! have you learned nothing from the forums?

;)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic it would be. Some of us respond better to a higher protein diet. It depends on your body.

Potatoes are so good as a carrier for bacon and cheese

I can't eat many carbs, but I can lust for them.

:)

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my brother is a diabetic and has been since he was 6...I live in potato country (McCains) and we ate potatoes or some form of them almost every night growing up...even as a diabetic they are fine...as with everything else in moderation.

Potatoes are so good as a carrier for bacon and cheese

this part I do agree with.