Swimming Workouts

Options
Hey Everyone,
It seems that no one ever replies to 'swimming' exercise workouts and threads, but I have to think that there are a few out there who do actually swim. Considering that everyone always talks about interval training, and swimming being the epitome of interval training, its odd to me that more folks don't do it. With that in mind (ha, and assuming no one will reply to this thread), I'm starting a "Swimming Workout Thread". I'll post in here various pool workouts and try to include things that most anyone can do if they can swim some laps. I'll start w/ my first thread/workout that no one replied to. The next one after that should be a bit easier.

If anyone wants to get into swimming or can't make sense of the info below, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll give you details. If you're somewhat of a swimming newbie and want more workouts at your level, please send me a message as well. I'd be happy to create some for you. :wink:

All distances are short course yards (25 yard pool)
WORKOUT #1: Intermediate

Warm-Up
600 - EZ to Moderate
400 Reverse I.M. (25 kick, 50 drill, 25 swim) - EZ to Moderate

Main Set
2x (first time through pull, second time through swim)
400 - start EZ and building effort throughout
4x100 on 1:30 - Moderate to fast pace
8x50 on :50 - descend time 1-4 and 5-8; #4 & 8 should be a sprint

Cool Down
200 EZ

Total Yards: 3,600 yards (1,650 is 1 mile)
Total Laps: 144
Time: Approx 1hr
WORKOUT #2: Novice

Warm-Up
2x200 (200 swim, 200 kick) EZ at your own pace

12x50
- 1-4 on :25 seconds rest between each 50
- 5-8 on :15 seconds rest between each 50
- 9-12 on :10 seconds rest between each 50

10x25 on 1:00
- descending time on 1-5 and 6-10 (#5 & #10 should be sprints)

Cool Down
100 EZ

Total Yards: 1,200 (1,650 is 1 mile)
Total Laps: 48
Total Time: Approx 45 minutes

Replies

• funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    My pool opens up next week and I can't wait to hit the water! I've never really done Swimming Workouts, though, so I have no idea what any of your terminology means! :-) Please help the newbie!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm so interested! I'm starting my swim part of tri training today. I've never used swimming as a workout on purpose.....

I'm planning to swim 750m today and see what my time is. Then will work over the next 16 weeks to improve my time. I'd love to learn more about swim workouts etc.

Please include me!
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have no idea what the terminology means.

I am actually going to hit the pool on Saturday as part of my test for my sprint triathalon in October. I can bike and run but the swimming may be iffy...
    I'm up for a newbie swimmer thread of any kind!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    www.swimplan.com has workout that you can get there too. I print them out and take them to the pool with me. They charge for the more fancy workouts but the basic ones are great. I also use fitDeck www.fitdeck.com the cards for swimming are waterproof!
  • kiki40
    kiki40 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the YMCA Lazyman Triathlon and starting June 1st I will have to start doing some swimming for a toral of 2.5 miles over the course of 5 weeks, so maybe combining a routine will be good for me.:bigsmile:
  • grulz
    grulz Posts: 15
    Options
    A real good main set that pushes you and doesn't seem as far as it is
    3x100@1.35
    2x100@1.30
    1x100@1.25
    you can do that 1,2 or 3 times through or after that first set follow up with...
    2x100@1.35
    2x100@1.30
    2x100@1.25
    then
    1x100@1.35
    2x100@1.30
    3x100@1.25

obviously adapting the set is easy and the times or distances can change but its a good one to build into =)
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't swim much anymore (funny, 'cause I'm a lifeguard...) but I do A LOT of water workouts. I do water jogging and water aerobics 3 times a week. It's a really great burn (if you do it right) and you sweat less. (If you've never sweat doing water aerobics, you're probably doing it wrong).
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the idea of some good pool workouts!! I played competitive water polo for years. Now I swim regularly, but usually just jump in and pound off a mile or so. This will help alleviate the boredom a bit. But I do agree with the previous poster who requested the glossary for those of us not familiar with swim team lingo. Thanks!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Swimming getting some attention! :happy:

For the 'newbies', here's a break-down of some of the terminology. If you have specific questions, I'll answer what I can:

(1) Most importantly, what is a 25, 50, 100, or 500?? In a 25 yard or meter pool, a 25 is 1 lap, a 50 is 2 laps, a 100 is 4 laps, a 500 is 20 laps, a 1000 is 40 laps. It's just like counting quarters into a dollar. 25 cents is 1 quarter, 100 cents is 4 quarters, 500 cents is 20 quarters... and so on... (some people consider 1 lap being a 50, or down and back 1 time... I was an olympic trial level swimmer and never considered down and back a lap... but just so you know, there are some who see it differently. I believe UK swimmers count down and back as 1 lap)

(2) IM: Individual Medley - this is when you swim all 4 strokes one after the other in the following order: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle. Therefore, if you swim a 200 IM, then you would do 50 butterly, 50 backstroke, 50 breaststroke, 50 freestyle.

(3) Descending: this simply means that you will start slow and speed up as the set continues. It is to 'descend' your time. For instance, if you are swimming 4x50's, then #1 will be slow, #2 a little faster than #1, #3 a little faster than #2, and #4 faster than #3. This will allow you to build your cardio and push yourself as a set continues.

(4) Pulling: When you 'pull' you 1 or both of these 2 things: You swim with a buoy between your legs and thats it OR you swim w/ a bouy and hand paddles. You can also swim with no buoy, but with paddles. Up to you!

(5) Kicking: Most of the time, this is done with a kickboard (most public pools have them for your use). You can also do this without a board, but you're not supposed to use your arms.

(6) Drill: A drill is an exercise to focus on stroke technique. For instance, I do 1 arm freestyle alot with the other arm at my side. This allows me to get a good body rotation when swimming normally. A drill can be anything you'd like, but should be demonstrated in person or video so you're not guessing how to do something and end up doing it wrong.

(7) What does 4x100 on 1:30 mean??? This means that you will swim 100 yards (or 4 laps). You will do this 4 times on an interval of 1 minute and 30 seconds. So, lets say that you swim the first 100 in the time of 1:10... you will then have 20 seconds to rest before starting your 2nd 100. Basically, how much rest you get depends on how fast you go each 100. Some sets are built to give you alot of rest after a big effort while others are built to give you little rest while swimming at a moderate effort.

(8) EZ means to swim easy focusing on technique, stretching your muscles, recovering, or warming up.
    (9) Moderate means your heart rate should be around 120-150. Basically, to not kill yourself, but to get your heart rate up.
    (10) Sprint means to... well... sprint!
    (11) VO2Max: You won't see me use this term, but its the same as a sprint to be overly simple. No matter the distance, it means you are maxing out your output for as long as you can. Sprinters and middle distance swimmers do alot of VO2Max workouts.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any specific questions... just glad I can bring something of value to the forums!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump. I used to swim in highschool and do sometimes now for cardio & toning, though not as often as I should. Going to join my neighborhood pool though this summer and going to get a lot more pool time! These are great. I've always been bad about coming up with my own routines...this helps a ton.

For those of you who are not sure of all the terms, check out these sites below
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/glossary.html - I really like this one. It has a GREAT demo of how to complete a full stroke to really gain your efficiency when swimming. I see so many people in the pool who are putting in a ton of effort and go nowhere. Read up on this!!!

http://www.staps.uhp-nancy.fr/foad_natation/swimterms.htm - Lots of good terms explained.

Happy swimming all!!
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    So...
    how do you time stuff in the swimming pool?
    Do you wear goggles?
    Do you wear the swim cap thingie?
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    So...
    how do you time stuff in the swimming pool?
    Do you wear goggles?
    Do you wear the swim cap thingie?

Almost all pools will have a clock on the deck... a timing clock, not a clock that will tell you what hour it is. If they don't, then a water proof watch on your wrist would be good.

Caps and goggles... I don't use a cap, but I rarely see a female who doesn't (my wife never wears one). Ha, I guess that depends on how you care for your hair. And yes to the goggles... unless you want bright red itchy eyes!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    Bump. I used to swim in highschool and do sometimes now for cardio & toning, though not as often as I should. Going to join my neighborhood pool though this summer and going to get a lot more pool time! These are great. I've always been bad about coming up with my own routines...this helps a ton.

For those of you who are not sure of all the terms, check out these sites below
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/glossary.html - I really like this one. It has a GREAT demo of how to complete a full stroke to really gain your efficiency when swimming. I see so many people in the pool who are putting in a ton of effort and go nowhere. Read up on this!!!

http://www.staps.uhp-nancy.fr/foad_natation/swimterms.htm - Lots of good terms explained.

Happy swimming all!!

Awesome, thanks. I'll be stealing these in the future when I post new workouts.
  • dudess
    dudess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not a strong swimmer, but I love 'hopping' lengths, adding twists to work on my waist. Will try jogging in water, too, next time.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    There are very few swimmers out here but I love the interest this thread is getting. I swam competitively for 14 years, not coincidentally I gained my weight after quitting swimming when I began college. I swam a lot last summer and competed in an Open Water Mile. Unfortunately, I don't have a gym with a pool in my town and my college's pool is open very few and very odd hours so I don't get to swim a lot. I'm training for my first sprint tri and am focusing on the bike and run, which I have much less experience in.

Hopefully some new swimmers will get inspired to do some workouts on here!
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Im glad you posted this. I waterjog and that kills me. I sweet alot!!!! Maybe cause i wear a swimming cap. I did not realize how much you sweat. But there are several exercises i do in the water (in the deep end). I use to spend 1-2 hrs in the pool but now im knocking it down to 30mins along with 15mins of strength before i hit the pool. Im not into long workouts anymore.